Amenorrhea

Options
So it has been about 3 months since I have had my menstrual cycle. I am 38 years old and by far NOT going into menopause! :) My fitness routine and diet have changed drastically in the past few months. The plan was to enter my first figure competition but since losing my job recently, I have had to put those plans on hold. Anyway, I heard that a lot of female athletes do not get their cycle and that it is not harmful to the body (internet research).
Are there any thoughts on this? Who else has experienced this? Is my body trying to tell me something? Should I be concerned? Do I need to slow down on the training and allow myslef to have a cycle?

Replies

• brazilnut05
    brazilnut05 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    First off, let me just say this: I know we aren't supposed to provide medical advice on here. I am not a doctor. However, I am a registered nurse and am speaking from experience... This happened to me years ago in high school when we were practicing daily (track & field) in addition to 2-a-day practices, twice a week. After 3 missed months, my cycle returned back to normal (I don't recall changing anything, it just came back). Based on what you've described, it sounds like your amenorrhea might be stemming from a low body weight or just overall physical stress on your body. It could also be premature menopause. Are you eating clean? Taking a daily women's multi-vitamin?? You will need to consult an MD if this continues. It could be a sign of deeper troubles, such as thyroid issues.
  • TrueBodyCoach
    Options
    Thank you for your information.
    I eat clean and I do take supplements. My fitness routine has increased dramatically in the last few months so I am going to have to say that it is the NEW stress on my body that is the cause of this. 38 years old would be too young for menopause and I am 136lbs at 5'7".
    Oh well! I like not having that monthly visit! :) But I think that I will give it a 6 month time line. If it does not return in the next couple of months, I will see my gynecologist.
    Thanks again! :)
  • TrueBodyCoach
    Options
    :)
  • brazilnut05
    brazilnut05 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That timeline sounds appropriate. Glad I could help. :)
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    women who were starving in concentration camps or in Ethiopia still had their periods....

amenhorrea is a hormonal problem, not a "food" problem. Not enough EFAs in the diet will screw up the pituitary gland and the thyroid gland, then bam, no period. Also f's up your metabolism for the rest of your life.

go see an endocrinologist asap and pump more fish oil in you stat.