Well that doesn't make sense!

Options
I've been following a progressive lifting program for 6 weeks now, but of course didn't take measurements or pictures until week 2. So today was my 4 week progress check-in. I've been eating at maintenance in an attempt to do a body recomp and weighed myself every week to see if I need to adjust up or down. I've stayed the same weight for 7 weeks which I fully expected and am not at all disappointed with. Scales don't reflect progress.

What I did not expect after 4 weeks was no changes in measurements or pictures. None. I know that people often struggle to see differences in themselves that are obvious to everyone else, but that's not the case here. My measurements are exactly the same. So, what gives?! Where do I go from here? Should I just keep at it, because these things take time? Should I try adjusting my calorie goal a bit? I've been planning to do a mini 3-4 week cut starting next week for some time now just to try and get rid of a little more fat in hopes that this will make the changes more obvious. Also because I'll be traveling for a week and it's much easier to do cardio in a hotel gym than lift. Who knows what kind of equipment they'll have.

Don't worry, I'm not giving up! I'm disappointed but I know I'm not special, and if other people can do it so can I!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Recomping, which it sounds as if you are doing (eating at maintenance while lifting) is a very slow process. You will not see results very quickly.

How long have you been lifting for?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Recomping, which it sounds as if you are doing (eating at maintenance while lifting) is a very slow process. You will not see results very quickly.

This. I ate at maintenance while lifting of a good year. No change in appearance (but strength gains).
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options

This. I ate at maintenance while lifting of a good year. No change in appearance (but strength gains).

This is me too. I've been eating at maintenance and lifting for 5 months, no visible changes but I've gained some serious strength.
  • ChocoCheeseaholic
    ChocoCheeseaholic Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm trying a recomp approach. I've been consistently increasing weights each week and my weight has stayed the same so I took that as a sign I'm on track. I didn't expect crazy measurement differences but was shocked, not even 1/2 a stinking inch anywhere?!

Has anyone tried alternating mini bulk and cut cycles before? 3-4 weeks bulk (and since I'm still in the newbie gains period I'd just eat at maintenance), and 2 weeks cut?
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm trying a recomp approach. I've been consistently increasing weights each week and my weight has stayed the same so I took that as a sign I'm on track. I didn't expect crazy measurement differences but was shocked, not even 1/2 a stinking inch anywhere?!

Has anyone tried alternating mini bulk and cut cycles before? 3-4 weeks bulk (and since I'm still in the newbie gains period I'd just eat at maintenance), and 2 weeks cut?

I really don't know but I'd think changing your diet that often wouldn't be worth the effort since changes in the body are so gradual. Maybe try bulking during the winter months and start cutting in the spring?
  • ChocoCheeseaholic
    Options

I really don't know but I'd think changing your diet that often wouldn't be worth the effort since changes in the body are so gradual. Maybe try bulking during the winter months and start cutting in the spring?

It's spring, so I need to make the best of it. I don't want to wait until November to get into a good lifting routine.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

It's spring, so I need to make the best of it. I don't want to wait until November to get into a good lifting routine.

You wouldn't necessarily have to change your lifting routine to bulk or cut. The only changes that really become necessities to differentiate cutting vs bulking in terms of the training, tend to do with volume. For example if you're beginning to have recovery or strength issues while in a caloric deficit, reducing training volume is usually the first logical step.

I'm only clarifying this in case you thought you'd need to scrap your routine entirely if you were to change your calorie intake (to a bulk or a cut).

I think in your situation you're going to have to accept very slow progress in terms of body composition. This is the biggest drawback to recomping.
  • ChocoCheeseaholic
    Options

You wouldn't necessarily have to change your lifting routine to bulk or cut. The only changes that really become necessities to differentiate cutting vs bulking in terms of the training, tend to do with volume. For example if you're beginning to have recovery or strength issues while in a caloric deficit, reducing training volume is usually the first logical step.

I'm only clarifying this in case you thought you'd need to scrap your routine entirely if you were to change your calorie intake (to a bulk or a cut).

I think in your situation you're going to have to accept very slow progress in terms of body composition. This is the biggest drawback to recomping.

Nope, definitely not scrapping my routine! I totally understand that changes are gradual I just thought the winter bulk, spring cut idea wasn't very helpful since it's spring.

My BF% is still too high to show much definition, and although being skinny fat is not what I'm ultimately after it can be achieved faster and would put me in a better position for summer bathing suit season. So, I'm willing to compromise some strength gains to eat up some more fat. Thoughts on mini bulk and cut cycles?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I would just do a long gradual slow cut. Small deficit to preserve strength and size. Bulk in the fall. If you lift in your cut you won't end up "skinny fat".
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    How long have you been lifting for in total?
  • fit_grrrl
    fit_grrrl Posts: 32
    Options
    I was the same as you OP but I have decided at the beginning of August to do a bulk for 5 months

Been lifting for 55 days now and eating in a deficit. This has given me some great shape (Glutes, Arms and Shoulders) but I know if I cut more it's not going to be the body shape with definition I desire.

So after my holiday it's time to bulk.

Plus body recomp is a slow hard slog (imo) and I thrive on seeing results as it keeps me going.

Sure Sarah and SS will have more guidence for you.
  • ChocoCheeseaholic
    Options
    How long have you been lifting for in total?
    [/quote

7 weeks
  • ChocoCheeseaholic
    Options
    I was the same as you OP but I have decided at the beginning of August to do a bulk for 5 months

Been lifting for 55 days now and eating in a deficit. This has given me some great shape (Glutes, Arms and Shoulders) but I know if I cut more it's not going to be the body shape with definition I desire.

So after my holiday it's time to bulk.

Plus body recomp is a slow hard slog (imo) and I thrive on seeing results as it keeps me going.

Sure Sarah and SS will have more guidence for you.

I've been eating at maintenance to try and take advantage of newbie gains as best I can. I'm with you, I like to see things changing and the idea of going 5 months with no visual confirmation even though I'm increasing strength doesn't sound very appealing. I get why others do it and realize I may be cheating myself a bit, but I'm ok with that. I will continue lifting even in a cut phase to preserve what muscle I can. I also have been thinking about a traditional bulk after summer.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You can actually take advantage of newbie gains while at a deficit.

I would eat to a small deficit (300 or so cals a day) and continue that way for a few months so you can cut the BF% more. Then move to the slow recomping stage (or bulk/cut cycles if you wish).
  • ChocoCheeseaholic
    Options
    You can actually take advantage of newbie gains while at a deficit.

I would eat to a small deficit (300 or so cals a day) and continue that way for a few months so you can cut the BF% more. Then move to the slow recomping stage (or bulk/cut cycles if you wish).

Thanks, Sara!!
  • fit_grrrl
    fit_grrrl Posts: 32
    Options
    I will continue lifting even in a cut phase to preserve what muscle I can. I also have been thinking about a traditional bulk after summer.

Sounds good to me. I am in the UK so by August I think our summer will be over so I can cover up while I bulk :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking so it is easier to keep track of active threads. Please feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel, including a link to this post, if you want to post anything further and we will unlock it so you can.
This discussion has been closed.