Suggestions for camping food

Options
MTBSolo
MTBSolo Posts: 20 Member
Hi all

I've only switched to a gluten free vegan diet in the last few months and am now off camping for three days so most of my normal camping food doesn't fit the bill anymore. So ...... any suggestions for easy cookable food to take with me? I'll have one small stove (Trangia) and maybe another small burner. Also no electricity /refrigeration. The campsite does have a hot food food outlet as well as the local convenience store (Spar) so I'm hopeful of picking up some things there daily.

I reckon I'll be sorted for lunch so breakfast / evening meals are the main ones for suggestions.

Thanks

Replies

• Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You are in luck, I just returned from a week of gluten-free vegan camping! I used a camp stove, a camp fire, and a cooler for my food storage and cooking. You don't mention if you will be using a cooler or not, but you probably should so you can keep some produce, non-dairy milk, etc. Here is a run down of the meals I had:

Breakfast:
    Most days, oatmeal with mixed nuts, dried fruits, and fresh fruit mixed in. I added some soy milk to mine.

Home fries made from potatoes left in the embers of the fire over night, chopped onions and garlic, celery, spices, cooked in a pan with a little canola oil. Top with ketchup.

Johnny Cakes made from corn meal mixed with water, cooked like a pancake and topped with fresh fruit and some maple syrup

Grits made from corn meal and topped with some non-dairy "butter", as a side for the home fries. Can add lots of other things to this as well

Dinner:

Beans made from a variety of canned beans, mixed with ketchup, maple syrup, hot sauce, garlic, onions, spices, cooked in a pot. Ate these with pan fried tofu hot dogs (just found out that a lot of these are gluten free now!) on brown rice bread with relish and mustard.

Burritos on corn tortillas with a filling made from onions, peppers, beans, veggies, fried in a pan. I added some soy cheese and salsa to mine.

Corn pasta from trader joes, mixed with different canned beans for a "Pasta Fagioli" style dish.

Corn pasta from trader joes, topped with a sauce made from canned tomatoes, chopped and stir fried veggies, and soy chorizo from trader joes.

Vegetable stir fry made from chopped and fried veggies (we brought a whole bunch of zucchinis and summer squash from the garden) and tofu, over brown rice.

Lunch:

Left overs! Also, potatoes cooked in the fire embers overnight make for an easy lunch the next day, just top with whatever you have (salsa is always good!).

Snacks:

Dried fruit, dried nuts, rice cakes, peanut butter, apples, oranges, rice crackers, popcorn. Also, a huge case of woodchuck hard cider :)

I hope this helps! Everything I made and brought was fairly healthy and very yummy. I didn't track calories for the week, but I was doing a ton of hiking, swimming, and kayaking, so I think it all cancelled out in the end. If you are staying active, it shouldn't be a problem! I shared my meals with the rest of my family, a combo of gluten-eating vegans and vegetarians, and they either ate the same thing as me or made a simple substitute (ex- no one wanted to eat my corn pasta, so we also made a pot of regular pasta). Enjoy your camping trip!!!
  • MTBSolo
    Options
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply ... there's lots there I can use :smile: I'm mountain biking for three days so I won't have any worries on the calories front, in fact I'll probably spend a lot of the time eating !!!!
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of g-f oatmeal, rice noodles with a curry sauce and veggies (coconut milk and curry paste), fish, rice, salads and fruit.
  • Talazws
    Options
    No problem, I was pretty excited to see a post asking about exactly what I had just spent a week doing! If you're biking all day, then you probably wont have to worry about eating too much food-- more like eating enough! The dried fruit and nuts are a great high-calorie snack. I spent most of my camping trip kayaking, and I made sure I ate some nuts and dried fruit before I headed out on any four-hour long adventures. Sucks to be out on the water and suddenly starving, so I'm sure it must be the same when you are mountain biking.

Have fun! Where are you headed? I was in the wilderness of Maine- my favorite camping spot!
  • MTBSolo
    Options
    Well I went shopping last night to get some food and it was all looking good for a long weekend in Wales (UK). Woke up this morning feeling really tired, looked at the weather forecast - rain followed by heavy rain and then some light rain - and decided that it can wait for another weekend !!!! So tonight I shall practice my camping cooking at home :laugh:

Thanks again for the suggestions.
  • Talazws
    Options
    Ah well, rain does not make for good camping. I spent the last night of my trip in a tiny tent for 12 hours, praying I didn't float away in the torrential rains! Luckily, the rest of the trip had perfect weather. I hope next weekend works for you!
  • DrVeggie
    DrVeggie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought a whole case of these breads and snack bars for my friend who was in Alaska in the wilderness for 3 weeks. He loved them. It is called Love Force Raw foods and they have amazing breads made from nuts and sweetened cake likes substances. The breads are great for sandwiches and are totally gluten free and all vegan. Believe it or not the plain bread is the best.
    http://www.loveforce.net/