Recovering from a party.

Options
frantim528
frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
I went to my grandsons 18th birthday party yesterday. I ate and drank a lot of stuff both paleo and non-paleo. I logged it all when this morning and I was at over 4,400 calories which is about 2,000 calories OVER my goal including 1100 calories from a bike ride. So, here's my question. If face with this situation would you....?
a. Call 80/20 rule.
b. Do an Intermittent Fast today.
c. Something else.

Replies

• MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Just write it off as another day of learning. No big deal. Go on with your normal routine and learn about how that day could dramatically change your life if that was your normal.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I agree with ^^^^

Sometimes, when you have a big intake day, your body gets a kick up in metabolism that will benefit you for a few days after (evening things out).
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Just call it a fun day, if it was indeed fun. No need to be perfect all the time.
  • kerrylee54
    kerrylee54 Posts: 66
    Options
    I would probably drink a little extra water today - maybe go for a walk or bike ride, and be happy that I can enjoy life and then get back on track.

Hope you had a great time celebrating with your grandson!
  • TotalBodyRenos
    Options
    agree with all the above!! You still need to enjoy life! Should that be done everyday? No, but don't knock yourself down over it!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Write it off. My big question though is this... you are a male, WHY are your calories set at 1270? That is really, really low for a male. I'm female with about 40 more lbs to lose and am consuming just under 1500 (based on TDEE-20%). I just did a quick TDEE-20% and if you were 6' tall, you should be eating about 2200 to lose weight. Yes, you'll lose more weight at 1270 calories, but you'll also be losing A LOT of muscle mass (the stuff you want to KEEP!) Eating that little isn't going to help you "get in shape." It's going to seriously mess with your metabolism. *just sayin*
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Write it off. My big question though is this... you are a male, WHY are your calories set at 1270? That is really, really low for a male. I'm female with about 40 more lbs to lose and am consuming just under 1500 (based on TDEE-20%). I just did a quick TDEE-20% and if you were 6' tall, you should be eating about 2200 to lose weight. Yes, you'll lose more weight at 1270 calories, but you'll also be losing A LOT of muscle mass (the stuff you want to KEEP!) Eating that little isn't going to help you "get in shape." It's going to seriously mess with your metabolism. *just sayin*

ALL OF THIS. I'm a 41 year old female, average size, with anywhere from 24-40lbs to lose to put me at a healthy weight...I eat 1600/day, which is kind of low for me. You need to eat more, dude.

Don't sweat the party. You don't need to try to make up for it somehow. Your body is probably very happy to get some calories, anyway.
  • frantim528
    Options
    I have 1270 net calories as a daily goal because that's what MFP calculated based upon my input of a desire to lose 2lbs per week. It calculated my BMR at 2700 calories per day minus a 1000 calorie deficit so a 1270 net calorie per day goal.
  • frantim528
    Options
    Sorry, BMR of 2200 calories per day
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    MFP is notoriously off when it comes to determining calorie needs and macros. I highly suggest going to the scooby calculator and determine your goals there. It is absolutely NOT HEALTHY for a male to be eating 1270 calories a day. Here's the calculator:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

To lose weight, it's recommended you do TDEE-20%
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have 1270 net calories as a daily goal because that's what MFP calculated based upon my input of a desire to lose 2lbs per week. It calculated my BMR at 2700 calories per day minus a 1000 calorie deficit so a 1270 net calorie per day goal.

MFP defaults suck. You should to modify them to fit your health needs. Also, putting in 2 pounds per week goal is unrealistic. If you set your goal to 1 pound per week it will be much more reasonable, and if you have a lot to lose you will still hit two pounds per week! There isn't a man on this planet that should be eating that little. Nor a woman for that matter.

I was plateauing for the last two months and I had to INCREASE my calories, but lower my carbs, to break it. My goal even before exercise is 1600.

Edit: with only 37 pounds to go it is definitely NOT realistic nor healthy to have your goal set to 2 pounds per week!!!! Please eat! It's not a race.
  • domez
    domez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Look at the party as the feast part of 'feast or famine'. It is in keeping with Paleo principles and you may find that you have retained water which will quickly go.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    MFP is notoriously off when it comes to determining calorie needs and macros. I highly suggest going to the scooby calculator and determine your goals there. It is absolutely NOT HEALTHY for a male to be eating 1270 calories a day. Here's the calculator:

This.

Dude, eat more. Eat a hell of a lot more. I'd drop weight at a calorie less than 2000 and I'm 123lbs (solid number, that there). There's no "race" to lose "weight"; don't sacrifice health for an arbitrary number on the scale. Just eat whole foods, walk a bit, lift heavy every now and then and enjoy life.

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 1500kcal for a post-menopausal woman, let alone a grown man.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

This.

Dude, eat more. Eat a hell of a lot more. I'd drop weight at a calorie less than 2000 and I'm 123lbs (solid number, that there). There's no "race" to lose "weight"; don't sacrifice health for an arbitrary number on the scale. Just eat whole foods, walk a bit, lift heavy every now and then and enjoy life.

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 1500kcal for a post-menopausal woman, let alone a grown man.

This, plus what everyone else has said.

For the original question, I'd just go by your hunger, drink more water/tea, cut down carbs, and get some movement.
  • nancik1
    nancik1 Posts: 24
    Options
    Just call it a fun day, if it was indeed fun. No need to be perfect all the time.

Agree
  • MelanieSpicegurl
    MelanieSpicegurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would probably drink a little extra water today - maybe go for a walk or bike ride, and be happy that I can enjoy life and then get back on track.

Hope you had a great time celebrating with your grandson!

And what the others said aswell .. Drink water , get a bit of exercise .. then get right back up on the Wagon ..

Here's a hand up if you need one !!!
    * extends hand for you to get a pull up!* :laugh:
  • dwest1976
    dwest1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing on Saturday night. I weigh myself every morning, so was shocked on Sunday morning that the scale showed I had gained 5 pounds. I ate normally on Sunday and then Monday took it very easy.......green juice in the morning and for lunch followed by grilled chicken and broccoli for lunch. I am now right back where I was on Saturday afternoon.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I agree--please eat more! I'm 5'6" and weigh 120 and I eat 2100/day. I'm not tryng to lose, but I'm sure as hell not gaining weight either.