C25K 9 week journey

Options
SandiW02
SandiW02 Posts: 223 Member
Ok so I was thinking since we have a short term goal going for the week, another one for the entire month of May - so I was thinking maybe someone would want to join me in the 9 week journey C25K. After some research I found you can do the C25K outside running or on the treadmill. I will be doing the treadmill version. Anyone interested in starting on Monday, May 6th?

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to set your treadmill at a slight incline. I'm using Zombies, Run 5k, and I've seen comment for both programs that say it's easier on a treadmill than outside. An incline might give you an advantage if you ever transition. :D
  • SandiW02
    Options
    Thanks for the advise! What would you recommend?
  • SandiW02
    Options
    OK, So I did day 1 today for the treadmill. Was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Before heading out I read the directions and was excited to read that you could repeat weeks.

my legs are killing me lol
  • Afura
    Options
    Oo horrible at checking the boards. :D They both have a similar program, I like Zombies, Run because it transitions into more apps, and has a storyline to keep me entertained.
    I'm definitely going to repeat Week 2, I have not built up enough stamina to run for a full minute yet, as week 3 was going to have me do. And yes, the legs hurt, so did my shins last week, as they started having you do heel lifts after your jogging. And I totally understand why they have built in rest days for people not use to exercise/running. :D
    But I can now jog for at least 30 seconds multiple times, and that's not something I would normally do on my own.
  • SandiW02
    Options
    Way to go! Sounds like you are in the right directionm with listening to your body and making progress. I have done well with the one minute jogs only because I am not jogging at a fast pace. I walk at 3.0 and jog at 4.0. The program says to start off at a slow jog and the speed will come later. I guess it is all about building stamina. So today I did day 2 (which is exactly the same as day 1 and day 3). My shins hurt today - a woman I know told me to do the alphabet with my feet to help build up my muscles around the shins.
  • Afura
    Options
    That should help ankles and shins. :D And yes, the programs are about building stamina and distance (jogging distance, not actual distance run/walked). I start with a personal trainer tonight, so I skipped yesterday's Zombies. o.o I didn't want to be too sore before I go cry tonight. :D
  • SandiW02
    Options
    You are funny. How was your workwout with your trainer? I have not done my circuit with mine in about 2 weeks just because the schedule has not worked out. Give details!
  • dlmaylor
    dlmaylor Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm actually wanting to run a5k in November and wanted to get started. So this would be great but I have no treadmill so my running will be outside
  • SandiW02
    Options
    Great to see you are starting training for your run. I should run outside as I have a track, at the park across the street, from my house. I just do it as my cardio at the gym after I do strength training.
  • SandiW02
    Options
    Week 1 Day 1 finished - not bad felt pretty good.
  • miranda823
    miranda823 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 3 yesterday! I put a slight incline on the treadmill for walking only, but boy it kicked my butt! I'm nervous to start week four but I know I can do it.
  • SandiW02
    Options
    great job adding incline! rock star!!
  • Afura
    Options
    My trainer had me do a warmup by going 2.5miles at a 4.0 incline. I've lived all my life in the flatlands, we don't have hills! But I will try and add some (2? XD ) tonight on Zombies5k.
    And Torra, she kicked my butt, 5/6/13 on my exercise log has everything we did, and the first time I couldn't get through it all. Owie. Are you still going with it?
  • SandiW02
    Options
    Yes, I am finishing Week 1 tomorrow. Looking forward to moving on to week 2. 4.0 is a good incline. When I was doing cros-training on the treadmil before starting the C25K program I woud do a few minutes at 5.0 bump up to 7.0 go back to zero. I tried to incline my run but I whimped out after the first minute. Guessing I should try again...lol.

I checked out your Zombie 5K sight - interesting. It looks like quit the workout. Have you participated in one of the runs yet?
  • Afura
    Options
    Maybe just not a 7.0 incline? :D 4 was pretty rough for me, I think I did 1.5 and 2.0 incline. I'm slow, but hey, at least I'm going.
    The Zombies, Run 5k program seemed pretty similar to the C25K program was, but the runs are done by a separate group. I thought about it, and I might, but they cost $75, and I have some trips planned that will likely use that $75 +
  • Tigger31179
    Tigger31179 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I HATE missing stuff like this! I started C25K Thursday the 8th. Just finished week one this morning. I am running outside as I do not have a tread mill, but I am just SO excited that I finished the week and without stopping on my runs! I may check out Zombie Run, since my ultimate goal is going to be to run the Run For Your Lives 5k Zombie Obstacle Course. ;) A secret for the sore shins, ICE for about 15 minutes after your run for as many days as it takes for them to start working, and an NSAID like Ibuprofen or Aleve. I also take Celebrex for my back, and I think that helped too, but I was able to run with no shin pain today, just a little hip pain, which is from the jarring they take in the jogs. That will get better with time and weight loss, I'm sure. I REALLY want to get a treadmill, but I literally have nowhere to put it. Our house is TINY and crammed full of stuff already and going to a gym is a bit much for me with extra gas and such. Maybe, if I can do well at the new job, I'll be able to swing it. SO GLAD I am doing this!
  • SandiW02
    Options
    Good for you to run outside. I go to Planet Fitness and enjoy the scenery - maybe you can find a pal who has a memeberhsip and tag along (if you lived here I would take you). I literally have a half mile trail right across the street (like I am looking at through my living room window right now). The problem is I don't like to walk the trail alone because it is a 'park' and well I get nervous. Maybe I will feel better when I can actually 'run' to get away lol. Soooo - I really wanted to start week 2 of the C25K yesterday but I hurt my ankle at the outside Zumba event and the 'pain' did not show up until Friday. I did Zumba Friday night and ooooh weeee, well let's just say 2 days off was probably not enough. I did the Week 1 yesterday but before going I bought an ankle brace (did I mention this is the same ankle I broke in high school). Everyday it feels better but injuries stink! I have started soaking in Epsin salt yesterday and believe it or not the swelling has gone down considerably. Wish me to speedy recovery but I am still exercising just taking it light and easy.

Good luck - I hope to do some sort of 5K by the end of the summer. There are a few coming up I am just too chicken to do it - maybe that should become a short term goal for me lol.
  • miranda823
    miranda823 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So week four didn't go as well as I planned. I did the first 5 minute stretch of running, but only made it 2 minutes of the second five minute run. I'm going to repeat this day until I can do it completely before I move forward!
  • SandiW02
    Options
    So week four didn't go as well as I planned. I did the first 5 minute stretch of running, but only made it 2 minutes of the second five minute run. I'm going to repeat this day until I can do it completely before I move forward!

Great way to stay positive. My running is currently on hold right now until my ankle heals. I choose to stay with Zumba because I enjoy it so I wear a brace and do not do a lot of jumping (nothing a little 800mg of motrin won't cure).

Keep up the great work!!
  • Afura
    Options
    Shoot yeah. I'm repeating week 2 of Zombies5k because 40-45sec is about as long as I can go, and week 3 is 1 minute runs. Ain't not shame, it is what it is. You're still out there, and still moving.