Beating concentration problems..

Options
Hi everyone,
maybe someone has been in a similar situation to me and can give me some advice. I have been taking meds since 2009 ( T4 + Jodine ), recently changed my endo, the new one diagnosed Hashimoto's ( antibodies are and have always been in the normal range, she based the diagnosis on an ultrasound ) and put me on a syntetic T4 alone. My TSH is < 1.0, T3 and T4 mid-range. B-Vitamins medium to high, folic acid within norm.
I supplement iron as I have a tendency to get anemic ( recent Ferritin level was 36, so pretty low ). For the last month I tried to introduce coconut oil into my diet but it seems to be giving me terrible stomach problems, so I stopped two days ago.
I have had lots of stress recently due to family problems, I sleep well but manage only 6,5 hrs on average each night.
I have problems losing weight ( on a 1600 kcal diet + daily exercise ), but at the moment the worst symptom seems to be brain fog / problems with concentration. I asked the doctor, she just said it was "typical" for autoimmune diseases and that all I could do was to try to keep my blood values in check. Pretty depressing. Has any of you could prove my doc wrong??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• xxxMumof2xxx
    Options
    Do you take your Iron and your Meds at different times of day? The Iron can stop your Meds being absorbed if you take them together.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm on Iron as well. Doc told me to take it at night, before bed. Chances are it is because of what Mumof2 said, but I never thought to ask.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Personally, what helped me with brain fog was to start going to bed at the same time every day and waking up at the same time every morning. My sleep schedule was erratic and my brain just never knew when to be awake or asleep. You said that you're struggling to get more than 6.5 hours, and I am guessing that is part of the problem.

A couple months ago, I was struggling with insomnia due to stress. A couple of my family members had some injuries and I had some big changes going on at my job. It's no wonder I couldn't sleep. My hands were shaking and yeah, my brain fog and migraines came back with it. I ended up lowering my dosage of my thyroid meds a tiny bit. I didn't know what else to do, but it turned out to be ok because I'm still on the lower dose and my labs were good this week. I did notice on days that I exercised, I slept better, but when I get jittery and disoriented, I am afraid to work out for fear that I will injure myself.
  • Syriene
    Options
    Just thought of something. Have you done a saliva hormone test?
    When I first started on thyroid meds, they actually made me worse instead of better. Did a saliva test and bingo! my cortisol levels were severly low (symtoms include sleep problems and exhaustion, among others). I was told that if this is occuring, the body can't handle thyroid meds properly till the cortisol problem is addressed as well. The test also shows progesterone levels, etc. If one is off kilter, it can mess up the rest.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    @xxxMumof2xxx
    Yep, at the moment I take L-Thyroxine in the morning, iron and the pill before going to bed, any other supplements during the day.
    My endo had actually suggested ( even before I complained about the brain fog ) that I take the thyroid meds at bedtime as the absorption is supposed to be better then. Accidentally, I read an article yesterday ( posted by Mary Schomon ( sp.? ) about a medical study that supports that theory. It even suggests that it may help in the T4 to T3 conversion.
    I think I will try it out next week, as I'm due to have a pill break.

@fiberartist21
    I promise myself to go to bed earlier each day, and each day I fail - there is always so much to do at home ( or at least I think there is )..

@Syriene
    Hm, I will ask about it next time I go to see my endo - but to be honest, all I can do is ask and hope that she will OK it. Here in Germany the doctors are extremely reluctant to do any tests at all. I had to fight for a T3 / T4 test at my GP's office and so far they have ignored any suggestions to do a gluten test ( I have had some bad stomach trouble for a couple of weeks now, but they may be due to stress ).
    What can you do when you get tested and they find out that your cortisol levels are not OK?
  • ArtsyGeekette
    ArtsyGeekette Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hashimoto's Thyroiditis patient here:

I find that keeping my vitamin levels up, (especially D3 and B vitamins) keeping my water intake around 50-64 oz on non-active days and finding hobbies that challenge me force me to think more and help fight the fog. Also, I keep my vitamins separate from my medicine by 4 hours if not more. I take my Synthroid in the morning, have breakfast 30-60 minutes later, then regular lunch. I exercise 3 times a week, with two of those days being weight lifting. I have some bouts of forgetting words or forgetfulness but not as much as I used to. Just stay calm and work it out. Make a pop-up calendar in your email and/or smartphone to keep you on track with dosing of medicine/vitamins. if I fall out of order, I readjust and keep my cool.

In the past month, I have transitioned from Low Calorie into Keto. I have lost 29 lbs in total, 15lbs of that in one month vs 3 months for the first 14lbs!

Instead of starving myself and wishing I had more to eat, I can comfortably eat anywhere from 1000-2000 calories depending on activity and hunger level. So far, so good!

I have been diagnosed as insulin resistant (hard to lose abdominal fat and just resistance to losing weight even with extreme low calories/low fat) so I also take Metformin 2x daily at 500 mcg. Now, my blood sugars stay around 80 instead of spiking all over the place from 70's to 160's. Who would of thought eating bacon/meats, eggs, vegetables, cheese and high-fat dairy to lose weight? I am proof of this and will continue to be. Screw Weight Watchers and the whole "diet" game forevermore!! All of my vitals came back on par, if not better. My TSH went from 11.6 to 2.87. I can do mental math again, I am creating more art and feeling better - aches and pains have disappeared. There must be a connection to carbs, gluten and too many processed sugars/foods that aggravate our immune systems, as any thyroid issue is an endocrine disease. I have -some- non-natural food items but I keep them limited. If keto works for my severe metabolic issues, I may have discovered a breakthrough for those who cannot lose weight through conventional "eat less, exercise more" regime who are also afflicted with Hashimoto's/Hypothyroidism.

For those who are interested, I found an interesting article that may be of some help to any of you. I know it did for me. I talked with my Endocrinologist and we discussed about adding in Metformin to assist with keeping blood sugars level to help lose weight after multiple failed attempts.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/2012/05/30/hypothyroidism-insulin-resistance-and-metformin/

Good Luck to all of you. I would enjoy hearing what you think.
  • allergictodiets
    Options
    @Artsy - is Keto some form of Atkins?
  • kats3boys
    kats3boys Posts: 61
    Options
    A lot of your symptoms could also be low iron, I never felt better on iron til my numbers were above 70. ( I had to do injections- pills were not doing it)
  • allergictodiets
    Options
    kats3boys, I know what you mean. I am taking the iron pills even though my GP thinks that my ferritine levels of 30 are "normal" and do not require any action *sigh*. Five days ago I started taking my iron pills in the morning and the thyroid meds at bedtime and for the last two days I have been feeling a bit better. It may be a coincidence or placebo effect though. We will see, I will keep you posted.
  • Syriene
    Options

@Syriene
    Hm, I will ask about it next time I go to see my endo - but to be honest, all I can do is ask and hope that she will OK it. Here in Germany the doctors are extremely reluctant to do any tests at all. I had to fight for a T3 / T4 test at my GP's office and so far they have ignored any suggestions to do a gluten test ( I have had some bad stomach trouble for a couple of weeks now, but they may be due to stress ).
    What can you do when you get tested and they find out that your cortisol levels are not OK?

I was put on a low dose of cortisone (nothing near the amount they may give for sinus infections, etc). As of right now I'm on 5mg once daily, but will have to boost it up to twice daily soon. So far, I have noticed a difference. Hoping by upping the dose, it will be even better. I don't know if the Rx will be a life long thing or not though- will find that out next visit.
    Sorry to hear you have so much trouble with testing. I had to pay for the saliva test out of pocket (no insurance companies cover it here), but I have heard that there is also a blood test. I'm not sure of an official test name, but maybe you would have better luck with that one. I have a friend in Hungary that wants to do the saliva test, but there, everything is separate. You have one test for the adrenals (cortisol) and then another for anything ovarian related. She's having to do them spread out so the cost won't be so bad. Here, both are done at the same time, with one cost.

as for the stomach issues- one of my coworkers was having probs and thought it was gluten- come to find out- too much calcium! With all the different sources out there, it's hard to know what the right supplement amount is.

I hope you find a solution and feel better soon!
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    It is typical... but you should research choline. It might help a lot!
  • hegster23
    hegster23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A lot of your symptoms could also be low iron, I never felt better on iron til my numbers were above 70. ( I had to do injections- pills were not doing it)

I also had to do the injections, and those seemed to work. However, I got a nasty stain on my arm from one of them...has this happened to anyone else?
  • allergictodiets
    Options

I also had to do the injections, and those seemed to work. However, I got a nasty stain on my arm from one of them...has this happened to anyone else?

I had an iron injection once, had a bad bruise afterwards but no lasting damage to my skin.