Week 7 Day 1

Options
DonC77
DonC77 Posts: 92 Member
Week 7 Day 1 completed this morning! Is it just me, mentally thinking about 25 minutes seemed really long. Telling myself as I got started, you just did 22 you can do this.

Part of my problem is I think too much about the amount of time. First few minutes I am thinking I won't get it done, but then 5 minutes done, then 10.

I start looking at getting to the half way point and it is a mental game with myself, start counting the time left.

I try not to focus on the time but I just can't look away, like a train wreck!

I run both indoors and on the treadmill at the gym, I think being outside running is better cause I can focus on markers to run to rather then time. But morning like today, raining heavy I go to the gym and hit the tread mill.

Long winded way of getting to the question, what do you focus on when running, and which do you prefer and why, treadmill or outside.

Replies

• mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I struggle the same way. I should be starting week 7 this weekend, but just not sure I am ready. When I am on treadmill I try to watch the TV to keep my focus away from the timer. But I am such a klutz that I feel like when I look away from treadmill that I will fall off. Haha... probably won't but that is my excuse.

When I do run outside, which is not as often now that I am on longer intervals, I tried to focus on the next set of mailboxes. Yes. You can make it to that box or yes you can make it to that corner.

I was running with my dog and then I had to focus on not tripping over him, but he had to retire because he wasn't keeping up the pace.
  • mkoff32
    mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love running outside. I dislike the treadmill because I feel like I'm not going anywhere and I find myself constantly looking at how much time I have left. However, when I run these longer runs outside I found that I have to switch up my routes because I'd start to mark landmarks and I'd be like "Oh man, I just passed that tree, I still have a ways to go!". When I'm simply running random routes in the neighborhood the time seems to fly by.
  • girlvsplanet
    girlvsplanet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am also on Week 7 Day 1, and I do the exact same thing. I have gotten a little better about checking the time, but today I tried and just could not make it the whole 25 minutes. I was disappointed with myself, as this is the first day of the program where I haven't made it the whole way. But I will try again tomorrow or the next day. Today I made it 19 minutes, and I know I've made it 20 and 22 before, so I know I can make it 25. But today I was having trouble emotionally too (other stuff going on in my life) and I just gave up.

But I agree running outside is easier. I just keep telling myself "just one more step" over and over again.