Big Brew Day a bust on MFP

Options
artratt
artratt Posts: 7 Member
I just spent 10 hours coordinating my Brewclub's AHA Big-Brew get together... It was 5:30 before I realized I hadn't sat down in over eight hours... and yeah I ate to much, drank to much, and generally blew my calorie goal. But that's all my friends on MFP see, not that I was running around, hauling water, dumping spent grains, lifting brew pots, and generally being all over the place...

There's no way to say, "Normally my days are only slightly active, but today was a very active day."

It's a little depressing.

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    One day isn't going to make much difference if you're consistent most of the time. If you were super active that day then you probably didn't really mess up your calorie goal that much (if at all). If you stop doing all the things you love then how are making this a sustainable change? A big part of making it sustainable is learning how to incorporate the things you enjoy so you don't feel deprived and end up having a total blowout and saying "SCREW IT!" The psychological aspect of all this is usually a lot tougher than the physical. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yea... What sjohnny said.

I will have a day where the deficit I'm trying for gets destroyed and a massive surplus shows up, but I have learned to not get too worked up over it and concentrate more on the weekly goal. More often then not, even with a bad day or two, I come out under or at my goal for the week.

Your MFP friends are there for support if any of them are not doing that for you then drop them.

Cheers!
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    So why not create a quick exercise called "Brewing Beer Like a Mother Trucker" and use the calorie count of "cleaning - heavy effort" as I'd think the two are pretty close, and then key in a few hours!

Look at it this way - your calorie count probably isn't completely accurate for the day anyways, so it won't matter if you're "guestimating" your exercise as well, and as BigDog and sjohnny said - one day doesn't really matter. If your MFP friends are gonna be D-baggy about what you eat, then give 'em something to applaud you for like a few thousand calories burnt in brewing! And believe me, as a homebrewer myself, I know exactly what you mean - it's a hefty amount of exercise!

And congrats on supporting National Homebrewing Day. My local club didn't organize anything because they're doing a big fundraiser later this summer that everyone is gearing up for, and we're also all a bit exhausted after the craft beer week two weeks ago. I did at least get a few yeast starters going for an experimental brew next weekend! :smile:
  • artratt
    artratt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I ended up putting it in as "Light Cleaning" for 90 minutes... still wish there was something...