Phase 3 - Cardio 3

Options
a_new_dawn
a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
Complete your body transformation during this fast-paced, high-energy, high-impact plyometric workout by burning more calories per minute than you ever thought possible!

Jillian's introduction: "This is probably the most vicious workout I've ever created." Just like the Cardio 1 and 2 workouts, there are three circuits, all the same. Each is about 10 minutes long. Each exercise set is about 20 seconds. The intensity increases with more combination moves, and several plyometric (jumping) moves in a row.

Windmills
Jumping front kicks
Fast Feet
Knee thrusts
Double Unders
Front Kicks
Plank moguls
Rockstars
Squat Jumps
Jumping lunges
Squat jacks
High Knees, drop down
pop jumps
Standing Mountain Climbers
High Knees with Rotation
Cannonballs
Lunge tap outs
Crab Kicks
Plank thrusters (in-outs)
Downdog thrusters (in-outs)
Zig Zag Jumps
Side Plank Burpees
Single Leg Cross Hops
Plank Punches

Replies

• staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I burned 338 calories as measured by my heart rate monitor. I just got it for Christmas so I didn't have it for Cardio 2 to compare calories burned. Cardio 3 is really hard!
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Yep - it's hard all right - probably the toughest workout I've done yet! It will get better though! Thank goodness :laugh:
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    I burned 338 calories as measured by my heart rate monitor. I just got it for Christmas so I didn't have it for Cardio 2 to compare calories burned. Cardio 3 is really hard!

Is cardio 3 still only a 30 min long workout??

338 calories in 30 minutes?? WOAH!!!!
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Did cardio 3 for the second time yesterday. For the first time ever, I swore at Jillian....crazy beotch. Lol. :noway:
  • staceypunk
    Options
    From start to end of the cool down it is more like 35 minutes ( for planning your time).
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    From start to end of the cool down it is more like 35 minutes ( for planning your time).

Quite a high calorie burner then!! 338 cals in 35 mins is quite impressive!!
  • staceypunk
    Options

Quite a high calorie burner then!! 338 cals in 35 mins is quite impressive!!

I KNOW! I would have only logged 240 (what MFP calculates for that time in cardio for my height and weight) so I am so happy I got that heart rate monitor. Now I have to decide if I will regualrly eat back those extra 100 or so calories or not. I don't know how many I burned for phase 2, so it may just be that phase 3 is that much harder. It certainly feels 100 calories harder!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    WOAH!! That is some crazzzzy *kitten* cardio!! 20 second bursts of madness with super-quick transitions and hardcore jumps/plyo! This was pretty intense, almost of the level with Insanity...but not quite!

Cardio 3 is a MASSIVE step up from Cardio 2, but strangely, i think it is the best cardio workout of the 3. There are LOTS of different moves in C3! some are significantly harder than others but all last just 20 seconds each - we can do ANYTHING for 20 seconds!

I was seriously buzzing when i finished this workout... the last 5 minutes before cool-down was TOUGH, i really had to dig deep to get through that finish line, but wow, what a massive sense of achievement!

I would usually get a burn of around 270 with C2, but managed almost 340 with C3. Jillian definitely means business with this one, it even comes with a warning about how brutal it is at the start of the DVD...she isn't kidding!

Loving Phase 3 so far!
  • harlychic
    harlychic Posts: 58
    Options
    Today was my first cardio 3...I cant jump due to doctors orders so with modifications of those exercises I still burned 253 calories. Loved it. It will make you drip the sweat. :)
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hey JMBR pals I just wanted to share my thoughts on Cardio 3 having just done it for the first time! First of all, I absolutely loved it and I'm buzzing with energy now!! I did find it a bit annoying how she got some of the exercises the wrong way round and 'forgets' squat jumps and pivoting high knees in the second circuit but never mind. Even exercises I hate are doable for 20 seconds.

Some thoughts on individual exercises:

Crab kicks - I'm rubbish at these and can't do them as fast as they do on DVD
    Squat thrusters - I still hate these but I don't mind them for twenty seconds
    Side burpees - I'm TERRIBLE at these . I figure I'm already doing them twice a week so I've substituted them
    Plank moghuls - my range of motion isn't great but I'm hoping to improve!
    Canon balls - I struggled doing them in KBAT but I can do them fine now!
    Rock stars - I used to hate but now love!!!
    Jumping lunges - I used to barely be able to do these but now I'm improving!

Going to add weights to some of the exercises next time!!

See you later gang!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Hey JMBR pals I just wanted to share my thoughts on Cardio 3 having just done it for the first time! First of all, I absolutely loved it and I'm buzzing with energy now!! I did find it a bit annoying how she got some of the exercises the wrong way round and 'forgets' squat jumps and pivoting high knees in the second circuit but never mind. Even exercises I hate are doable for 20 seconds.

Some thoughts on individual exercises:

Crab kicks - I'm rubbish at these and can't do them as fast as they do on DVD
    Squat thrusters - I still hate these but I don't mind them for twenty seconds
    Side burpees - I'm TERRIBLE at these . I figure I'm already doing them twice a week so I've substituted them
    Plank moghuls - my range of motion isn't great but I'm hoping to improve!
    Canon balls - I struggled doing them in KBAT but I can do them fine now!
    Rock stars - I used to hate but now love!!!
    Jumping lunges - I used to barely be able to do these but now I'm improving!

Going to add weights to some of the exercises next time!!

See you later gang!

Great Job Angie!! :drinker:

Cardio 3 is my fav workout of all in BR.It's FAB! And i can totally relate to that BUZZING feeling of yours....LOVE IT!

I noticed that she "forgets" a couple of moves too, but i hate pivoting high knees anyway so i wasn't too fussed about it's absence :laugh: She also swaps jumping high kicks and front kicks around, just to see if we are paying attention i think haha!

Very well done on your improvements, it's great to be able to do things you once struggled with isn't it?! I can proudly "catch some air" in the cannonballs and rockstars now too, but in a previous JM workout i found it impossible to jump high enough to be able to time doing anything with my legs before i landed!
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think she had Rock stars in Ripped? I had to substitute them for butt kicks cos I couldn't do them. Now I do them with weights!! I love progress!

I noticed the high kicks / front kicks it confused me but I'll be used to it for next time!

My face was like a tomato afterwards!!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options

My face was like a tomato afterwards!!

It's mad how we get so much pleasure out of getting our butts kicked by Jillian!! :laugh:
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I did this workout for the first time on Wednesday, and I'm looking forward to doing it for the rest of the month. It's tough, but based on how I improved doing cardio 2 from the first time to the last time, I'm excited to see how much I can improve doing this one.

My biggest problem is the side plank burpees (which I think showed up in workout 9 as well). I can't do them in my living room. Well, technically I could, but it would involve completely moving to a different area and moving my workout mat each time. I have a living room that is small and cluttered with baby stuff and furniture. There's only so much rearranging I can do. During the first ab super-set in phase 2 (whichever workout had windshield wipers) I had to completely switch positions for each exercise even though the people in the video stayed in one spot. I was able to do the side plank burpees once or twice without moving, but I was so nervous about hitting something (and I did hit something!) that I was too tense and hurt my shoulder. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do instead? Would doing regular burpees hit basically the same muscles?
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    I did this workout for the first time on Wednesday, and I'm looking forward to doing it for the rest of the month. It's tough, but based on how I improved doing cardio 2 from the first time to the last time, I'm excited to see how much I can improve doing this one.

My biggest problem is the side plank burpees (which I think showed up in workout 9 as well). I can't do them in my living room. Well, technically I could, but it would involve completely moving to a different area and moving my workout mat each time. I have a living room that is small and cluttered with baby stuff and furniture. There's only so much rearranging I can do. During the first ab super-set in phase 2 (whichever workout had windshield wipers) I had to completely switch positions for each exercise even though the people in the video stayed in one spot. I was able to do the side plank burpees once or twice without moving, but I was so nervous about hitting something (and I did hit something!) that I was too tense and hurt my shoulder. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do instead? Would doing regular burpees hit basically the same muscles?

Welcome to the craziness of cardio 3!
    Side plank burpees are designed to work your obliques as you kick your legs out to the sides... Regular burpees wouldn't have the same effect, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do them!

I'm trying to think of an alternative cardio move that works the obliques but I'm struggling! There are lots of alternatives that won't include the plyo... Side plank crunches, squirms, twisting plank, crow push-ups (where you bring the knee to the elbow on the descent), standing oblique crunch...

Skiers perhaps?? Where you turn your feet to the side, front, side as you do little jumps and twists?? Sort of like this: http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Jumping-Oblique-Twist/5f/

Or you could do another set of high knees with torso rotation?
  • thevegankelly
    Options

Welcome to the craziness of cardio 3!
    Side plank burpees are designed to work your obliques as you kick your legs out to the sides... Regular burpees wouldn't have the same effect, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do them!

I'm trying to think of an alternative cardio move that works the obliques but I'm struggling! There are lots of alternatives that won't include the plyo... Side plank crunches, squirms, twisting plank, crow push-ups (where you bring the knee to the elbow on the descent), standing oblique crunch...

Skiers perhaps?? Where you turn your feet to the side, front, side as you do little jumps and twists?? Sort of like this: http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Jumping-Oblique-Twist/5f/

Or you could do another set of high knees with torso rotation?

Thanks, those are good ideas. :) I think I'll try doing something different from that list for each circuit. No harm in mixing it up as long as I keep moving and try to work the same muscles.
  • harlychic
    harlychic Posts: 58
    Options
    What about plank moguls ? Do you have room for those?
  • thevegankelly
    Options
    What about plank moguls ? Do you have room for those?

I can do those because I don't have to throw my legs straight to the side.
  • jordan1221
    jordan1221 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I did this workout for the first time.

Today.

At 4:37 a.m.

Before work.

Vicious is a gross understatement.

I almost couldn't make it up the basement stairs.
  • ElleRose101
    ElleRose101 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Started WK 11 today. Only 4 more session for Cardio 3. Can't wait to knock them out!