Treadmill OK?

Options
chrissilini
chrissilini Posts: 77 Member
So I've been doing well so far with the program. But, I am donig it on a treadmill. I'm wondering once I switch to running outside if I'll have a lot of issues. I understand terrain, hills, etc factor in. But my thinking is to build up my endurance first and tackle the other after. Does this make sense, sound ok? Am I setting myself up to fail once I get outside?

Replies

• BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Well, i hope its a good Idea because I'm doing the same thing. :smile: My thinking was I would mix it up with the incline when i got the hang of it a little better. It might be different outside but I can't imagine that we would be HURTING anything. It has to be doing some good - don't you think?
  • chrissilini
    Options
    I'm sure we're doing just fine! Like you said, has to be doing some good.
  • FitToFifty
    FitToFifty Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am primarily using the treadmill. I have done week 1 twice and the second week (does that make any sense??? LOL) I did day 2 outside - WOW! It kicked my butt. It was really humid out that day so I think that made it worse, but WOW! I decided then that I am going to *try* to do 1 day a week outside (even though I picture people pointing and laughing at the fat girl trying to run. :bigsmile:
  • thistimesucess
    thistimesucess Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I started on the treadmill and then switched to outside. I actually found outside easier because I paced myself better. I realised that I had been pushing myself too hard on the treadmill that I would never sustain that level when doing longer runs. However I did pick a fairly flat route and managed to time it so that I walked up the only hill!
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I am primarily using the treadmill. I have done week 1 twice and the second week (does that make any sense??? LOL) I did day 2 outside - WOW! It kicked my butt. It was really humid out that day so I think that made it worse, but WOW! I decided then that I am going to *try* to do 1 day a week outside (even though I picture people pointing and laughing at the fat girl trying to run. :bigsmile:

No one will be pointing and laughing.. instead it makes them think .. 'hey.. I should be doing that...' at least that is what I think when I see other people running, even bigger people.
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    from personal experience, I love training on the treadmill, thats what I am going to do this time and its what I did last time I trained for a 5k. I however know that once I got outside to run a 2 mile race I participated in... the hills killed me. I will continue to train on the treadmill but will next time run outside just a little. However this time I will throw in some inclines once I get longer into the weeks. I think its fine to train on the treadmill, throw in some inclines and just makes sure that your race is either flat terian or if there are hills that you at least are aware you might have to slow down or push harder. The 1 time I tried incline on the treadmill I was in serious danger of getting shine splints!!
  • chrissilini
    Options
    So, I finally decided to take my running outside on Saturday. I finished week 4 on Thursday and was visiting family so thought I'd give it a wirl. Boy was I disappointed in myself. I got through the first half ok but really struggled with the second half. I think I only ran a couple of minutes. I'm hoping that I was just pushing myself harder than I do on the treadmill and I just wasn't used to running outside. I'm not having any problems on the treadmill. Did week 5 day 1 today, no probs at all. Guess I really need to be doing it au natural. I'm having trouble getting up the courage to do it though. Weird.

Sounds like everyone is doing well.
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I will be starting W1D1 tonight and I will be doing it on our treadmill.

I am a newbie to running and C25K and working over time this week leave's me no choice but to get my run done
    on the treadmill.
  • weetzie882
    weetzie882 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is great, but running on ground is way different. I tried to do the program last year on the treadmill and then when I switched to track/outdoor running I didn't do nearly as well as I had on a treadmill which caused me to quit (I'm stubborn that way).

I read an article over the winter that said in order to equalize the exertion between treadmill and walking/running on ground add a 3% slope. I star

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201211/how-treadmill-killing-your-workout

Now I find it much easier to run on the track that it was last year and I think it is due to walking at the 3% slope. Starting the program over (I'm actually going to try the c2 10K) I think when I was doing the treadmill last year I had set the speed up too high which caused an awkward running gait when I switched to land that didn't move :)