Fiber!

Options
jessvaughn74
jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
Hi all! I have been doing low carb since April 19th and it broke my little plateau I had going on. Plus I feel so great. My energy has been so high and just overall feel terrific. I currently have my carbs set at 20% of my daily calories (1300 cals a day) which is about 65g. That is just a goal - I normally net around 25-35 a day on average.

My question is about FIBER! Before low carb, I had no problem getting enough fiber in, but now that I am not eating oats, whole grains, apples, pastas and rice I am having issues.

I have been eating raspberries, blackberries and strawberries to help. I also take 2 Sugar Free Fiber Choice a day whcih gives me 8g more.

Any ideas?? Thanks so much!

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    See the Low Carb Muffin in a Minute thread that's at the top of the forum..some good ideas there and the flaxseed meal is loaded with fiber. I just made a savory version last Friday using the "rectangular lid" idea rather than a coffee mug so that I ended up with a piece of "bread." Used it for a grilled tuna melt and it was very good. :smile:
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I don't "go" as often doing low carb. It's not an issue...I just don't have to go! They less carbs you eat, the less waste you have. Flaxseed helps, like the poster above said about the muffin in a minute (I'm gonna have to try the bread!). Sugar free candies with sugar alcohols help but they may help too much!! I eat a lot of raw spinach and lettuce too.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    vegetables?

It looks like you're still getting plenty of fiber to me. However, you may not be eating enough to have any "waste" (I'm assuming this is what you're referring to by saying you are "having issues"). You're not even eating 1200 kcal most days (some days not even 1000), yet exercising a lot (assuming from the burn).
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    vegetables?

It looks like you're still getting plenty of fiber to me. However, you may not be eating enough to have any "waste" (I'm assuming this is what you're referring to by saying you are "having issues"). You're not even eating 1200 kcal most days (some days not even 1000), yet exercising a lot (assuming from the burn).

I do have a problem getting the calories in daily. It is not for lack of trying. I eat when I am hungry. Because of my work schedule I take my breakfast and lunch to work along with snacks. I usually do not end up eating the snacks. I try to eat a lot of vegetables.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression women should be eating at least 25g of fiber a day. Maybe I have been aiming for too many?

Thank you all for your replies! I think..well I know I just worry a lot. This is my first attempt at eating a healthy lifestyle. In the past it was diet after diet, but never this approach of a total lifestyle change and I am afraid of messing up..lol.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I had the same question and found that adding psyllium husk powder to my foods really help.
    Start with maybe 1/2 tsp MAX to start, then increase gradually so that your body gets used to it (and to reduce the gassiness that some people have when using psyllium husk).

Some people just stir it into water or another liquid and drink, but I dont care for it that way. I've started including it in the LC bread that I make as well as other foods so there's no gritty drink to choke down.

You can find the psyllium husk powder in the bulk aisle of your grocery store or whereever your store carries the packages of Bob's Red Mill items (such as coconut flour, etc).
  • alexalaurel
    alexalaurel Posts: 27
    Options
    I'd recommend eating more leafy greens. Have you tried kale before? Not the super-cooked-down-with-fatback-southern-version, but lightly sauteed with a little garlic powder, squeeze of lemon juice, salt, and a pinch of crushed red pepper for a kick. I love the texture - sauteed spinach is so boring to me, but the kale is rougher and curly and gives you more of a "bite". And honey it will give you your fiber, go right through you, and drag everything in its path!! LOL