Starving

Options
memubo99
memubo99 Posts: 58 Member
Hi I am on day 8 or 9 of keto diet, haven't used ketostix but have been keeping my carbs low. I am eating around 1400 calories a day and want to loose 10lb in 10 weeks.
I am absolutely starving, I am eating protein and lots fat but it is not satisfying me.

I feel exhausted but no headache or thirst or running to the loo like I did when I previously ate a keto diet.

I have lost 8lb since end of March, but wasn't doing keto then. Today I feel "fat" as well as yeuck and could eat all round me.
Most calculators say I should be eating less than 1400 to loose, but I find it hard enough on this amount.

What am I doing wrong?:sad:

Replies

• ArtsyGeekette
    ArtsyGeekette Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hmm, have you tried upping your fat intake more? Are your ratios close to this:

60% calories from fat
    30% calories from protein
    10% calories from carbohydrates (vegetables)

Try upping your fat a little and dropping your carbs a bit as well and see if that helps with hunger. Calories can and do matter to a certain extent, but for now, aim for 1600 max and see if that helps any.

I have a few days were I am below 1800 and a day or two above that number. Also water to drink helps and cutting back on artificial sugars, even if they do no impact blood sugar. This may be a good idea to evaluate your vitamin/mineral needs. Deficiencies can cause stalling in weight loss, especially in women.

Also, if your food has any UPC labels, scan it with a smart phone using the MFP app and it will automatically add it to your daily food diary. :)

Good Luck to you!
  • memubo99
    Options
    Yes I'm at those % for carbs, protein and fat but find it hard to keep protein from going over.
  • kgoodman0108
    kgoodman0108 Posts: 158
    Options
    Hi friend! I've noticed you're drinking bulletproof coffee (butter with coconut oil/mct). How much is a pat of butter? I'm still experimenting with it, but I use at least 1 tbsp of unsalted butter in each cup of coffee. I have a coworker that puts in at least 2-3 tablespoons in his. I've been using 1 tbsp of coconut oil, but recently purchased MCT oil. I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Coconut has MCT oil in it, but with pure MCT oil, you have no taste and better effects.

Try adding 1/2-1 tbsp of coconut oil and at least 1 tbsp of unsalted butter into your coffee, and blend it well (I use a blender). This should be filling enough to last you until lunch, or at least until its time for a late morning snack. Days that I drink my coffee, I find it super easy to eat high fat. You aren't left having to worry about sneaking it in during lunch and dinner. :)

When I cook meats and vegetables, I like to make them in a pan on the stove. I use 1 tablespoon of butter instead of cooking spray. Easy way to add 100 calories to your day, and more fat.

edit: With your coffee, that's at least 1tbsp per 8-12 fl oz. To make it a meal, you want to get at least 300 calories worth of UNSALTED butter and coconut/mct oil. Otherwise, you're left eating during the morning.
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I've read in a few different places that sometimes when you're dehydrated your thirst can be mistaken for hunger. It's important to keep well hydrated on a keto diet.

I see quite a few "low carb" bread-type foods on your diary. I'm wondering if maybe these really do have hidden carbs in them that could prevent you from fully entering ketosis.

I agree with ArtsyGeekette that it might be a good idea to up your fat and lower your carbs if possible, if only for a week or so, just to ensure you get into ketosis.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water suggestion. Drink at least 8, and preferrably more like 12 8-oz glasses of water. 3 liters?

My other suggestion is that during this transition period, stop stressing the calories. Eat when you are hungry. You are re-training your body to do low-carb. Don't stress the calories during this. After your body adjusts, you'll find your appetite really drops off.

It seems like many women especially find better success doing macros with higher fat. I target 70-75% fat, with 5% carbs, and the rest protein.

I'm struggling to read your diary a bit. I know the rules in the UK are different for carbs and fiber, so am not entirely sure how to interpret. I agree with redwngs13 that those bread-type foods may be something to watch.
  • sonicboy1176
    sonicboy1176 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am around your age and have found success. I have lost 59lbs and kept it off without starving myself or feeling hungry. The key for success is managing food and water intake throughout the day along with some form of exercise for at least 30 minutes (walking, running, elliptical, etc.). Check out my food diary.

You may have to exercise more if you’re busting your calorie limit. Drinking more water may help curb hunger and give you some extra strength as well.

I also recommend that you eat small meals every 3-4 hours while limiting refined sugar. This will curb your hunger spikes. Doing so will likely increase your metabolism. Starving one’s self is not only dangerous, but the body’s metabolism actually slows down when people go on crash diets. Amazingly, when rapid weight loss is achieved by most crash dieters, they will gain most of that weight back and some due to metabolism instability. The goal is to lose no more than 2lbs per week under most situations and maintain a new life style. That means you can eat bad stuff (ice cream, chocolate, doughnuts, etc.), but only in moderation.

Yes, I’m not a medical doctor, but check out my advice. Don't believe me. Most competent medical officials will agree with my advice. The proper way to lose weight is to make a life style change and lose weight gradually, not by starving yourself. The option is yours.
  • memubo99
    Options
    Thank you all so much :smile: , from what you have said

1) I am not adding enough butter and coconut oil to my coffee, need way more

2) I am not taking enough water so I will increase that

3) The bread type things have 2 net carbs and buns and bread I make myself with coconut and almond flour but I will take on board that I need to restrict these, for now anyway.

I really appreciate you all taking time to help me and I have to say it really encourages me and makes me feel that I am not alone. I will put the above into practice today and report back this evening.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself going over protein, you can swap out one of those servings for increased fat. I love the recipes found in the Fat Fast Cookbook, by Dana Carpender: http://alturl.com/7hawh.
  • memubo99
    Options
    Added more fat, lots water and was still fairly hungry. I ate ~1600 cals and then felt ok.
    I am 5ft 3 and for weight loss should be eating 1100-1400 but think I'll stick to a higher amount for now anyway making it up with fat and see how that goes
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you were eating carbs that your body can very quickly turn to fat, then 12-1400 might be okay. On keto, protein is very slowly digested and dietary fat is very difficult to turn into body fat, so you really do not need to worry as much about caloric intake.