Paleo + heavy lifting + open food diary; need friends!

Options
Hello Paleo/Primal Community!

I have been on MFP for a few months now, but haven't actively sought connections with other folks. I've been tracking food in an attempt to keep an eye on my macros, but have been inconsistent. I will not log when I fall off the horse, which is very counter-productive.

I've decided to request friendships and open my food diary to MFP friends in an attempt to increase my accountability (now I'm accountable to YOU too!).

About me:
- Aiming for paleo, but sometimes have dairy (regular ghee eater, occasional yogurt enjoyer).
- Regularly play with kettlebells (in formal classes and at home).
- JUST started lifting at the gym (taking baby steps on this one, since I have a few old, nagging injuries).
- I have PCOS (for those of you not familiar, it is a case of hormonal zaniness that has multiple symptoms, one of which, in my case, is a tendency to gain and retain weight -- fun!).

I look forward to meeting you and supporting each other with our goals!

Replies

• courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to my plan. About to start stage 3 of New Rules of Lifting for Women. Been cleaning my diet to be as paleo as I like since Jan 2013. Hoping to lose another 20 lbs while staying strong :)
  • nynvilva
    nynvilva Posts: 54
    Options
    I do not do heavy lifting, but am Paleo with an open diary - feel free to add! I try and log every day... including those where I fall off the wagon.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^If you feel like you are plateauing you should give it a try. It will not make you bulk up.

Me, on the other hand...I'll get bulky as hell :)
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm not that strict about paleo/primal (too much cheese, too much chocolate, too much wine...) but I do have an open diary and I try to track most days. I just starting out with lifting a few weeks ago, but I am a zumba cardio junkie at heart. If any of you would like to add me, feel free--I'd love a few more paleo buddies.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hey! I recognize that pig.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Hello Paleo/Primal Community!

I have been on MFP for a few months now, but haven't actively sought connections with other folks. I've been tracking food in an attempt to keep an eye on my macros, but have been inconsistent. I will not log when I fall off the horse, which is very counter-productive.

I've decided to request friendships and open my food diary to MFP friends in an attempt to increase my accountability (now I'm accountable to YOU too!).

About me:
    - Aiming for paleo, but sometimes have dairy (regular ghee eater, occasional yogurt enjoyer).
    - Regularly play with kettlebells (in formal classes and at home).
    - JUST started lifting at the gym (taking baby steps on this one, since I have a few old, nagging injuries).
    - I have PCOS (for those of you not familiar, it is a case of hormonal zaniness that has multiple symptoms, one of which, in my case, is a tendency to gain and retain weight -- fun!).

I look forward to meeting you and supporting each other with our goals!

Welcome! Feel free to add - I'm not paleo, but strive for primal as I still have some dairy. Been playing with kettlebells on my own for a couple months now while I'm not lifting heavy, but I'll probably get back to that in a month or so I'd guess (training cycle, plus I've got my own nagging injuries from rugby!). And I also have (had?) PCOS.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm usually Primal (Paleo + dairy), but after my most recent Whole30 (Feb-March), I've been dairy-free, so Paleo. I'm at the start of Stage 2 of NROL4W, so I lift heavy 3x a week. And I also have PCOS, although my symptoms completely disappear as long as I stay grain- and sugar-free. My diary is open. Feel free to send a friend request...

:)
    Amy
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm Paleo with a splash of cream in my coffee (and an occassional sprinkling of cheese). I like to think of myself as 90% Paleo, 9% Primal and 1% Oops. At this point I'm very rigid about logging. I've been teased for logging A SINGLE BITE of a brownie (or what was my best estimate). I do so only because (a) it keeps me accountable and (b) it shows me how much I'm ****-ing up and when to reel it in. That being said, I'm also one who believes this should be sustainable, so if I do have those little cheats now and again, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. Ironically, I have a harder time keeping on task in regards to eating enough (I know, I know - some people hate this). But I'm finding myself less hungry. When I am hungry, it's not an urgent hunger so I often find myself being too lazy to do something about it - especially on the weekends when I haven't planned all my meals like I do during the week.

**edited because I'm a grammar freak.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I'm going Paleo with some cheese (hard white, cottage) and yogurt. And I've had some wine twice in the past month.

I just went through a hernia surgery, so I won't be in the gym for a few weeks, but I'll be back to a program that has heavy cardio and heavy lifting as soon as I can get back to it.

My diary is open to MFP friends.
  • jenfitz
    jenfitz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I am paleo (with a bit of hard cheese sprinkled on top:) I am a Crossfit newbie and loving it- though today I hurt! I've been paleo going on 3 months (though in the beginning I was probably more primal) and doing olympic lifting through Crossfit for 3 weeks... See ya around the posts!
  • LadyPaleo
    LadyPaleo Posts: 24
    Options
    I appreciate everyone reponding to my post! It is great to see such a responsive and supportive community.

Cheers to you all!
  • frantim528
    frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing all of the right things once you get the logging down. I have tried several food logging sites and so far I think MFP has the most extensive database although Livestrong has a great database of nutritional articles.
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Add me if it floats your boat :tongue:
  • denise33027
    denise33027 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well. I log as much as possible, and do lift weights at home. Either Les Mills Pump or Chalene Extrem. Mostly Paleo--with a few beers thrown in over the course of the week. Just something I enjoy--I do get the gluten free though, so I feel less guility :-)
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm primal and lift a few times a week, it's changed my life! Feel free to add.
  • sundaybeachday
    Options
    Hi! You can (or anyone) add me as well.
    I'm aiming towards Primal. I like the cheese, the wine, yogurt and the occasional chocolate.
    I have not been diagnosed with PCOS, but since cutting grains, cereal, rice, pasta, etc from my diet, the bloat is gone, I'm sleeping better and I have noticed my energy levels during the day are up. I'm still trying to control the monthly, girly, hormonal side effects - I hate that everything that makes me a girl also makes me feel like crap once a month! (sorry for the TMI fellas)
    My diary is open, and right now - and for the next few weeks or so, you'll see some non-Paleo/Primal foods, but only because I'm still getting rid of them (too frugal to throw stuff away).
    I have done and still do a variety of Jillian Michaels workouts, but I'm phasing out a lot of the hard-core cardio stuff and focusing on lifting with my heavier weights. Still need to buy even heavier ones. My job, family, kids and activities keep me from having time to join a gym, so I make do at home.

I love to learn and I'm curious at heart, so all of this information amazes (and sometimes confuses) me.
    I am totally open to unsolicited advice, criticism (I can take it!) and support.
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi you can add me if you like but I don't log all the time. I tend to over eat when I log. Ironic I know but I am much better when I don't obsess over food. Primal, preggers and lift 3-4 x a week. Also have/had PCOS but manage it through diet. No dairy when I'm not preggers tho.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.

I'm not perfect. But I strive to be mostly paleo. I do have protein shakes on my lifting days. and sometimes if I really need a quick fix I'll have a granola bar. My schedule is super busy and sometimes I don't pack enough food. :(

I'm about halfway through stage 1 of NROL4W.
  • bcd2007
    bcd2007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey there, All... I am needing to find a group to help me stay on track, so feel free to add me. I just started MFP so am still trying to figure stuff out on here:happy:
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Add me! I'm headed to bed, but if there is ANYONE out there who would like to friend me my diary is open and I started a lifting program about 2 months ago. I have currently thrown away the scale so what you see below (2 lbs lost) is so wrong, just not gonna change it. :) I eat around 1950 on non workout days, and try to cram in 2350 on workout days. So far so good!