Lose Weight to Run

Options
rickhuyck
rickhuyck Posts: 9 Member
Hi all. I just joined this group today. I am relatively new and still finding my way. I will be 62 on Saturday and a week from Sunday will be running a half-marathon. I started running in 2007 and have done a number of half-marathons, 10K's, 5K's. Two Marathons and two Goofy runs ( This is in Disney where I ran a half-marathon on Saturday (21.1K - 13.1 miles) and a full marathon on Sunday (42.2K - 26.2 miles)). I did the second of my two Goofy's in January of this year.
I tell you this because I have done this while being obese. I am desperate to lose weight. I don't run to lose weight, I want to lose weight to run. My running is the thing that gives me the most personal satisfaction. I have been a group leader for a number of Half Marathon clinics working with a lot of first timers (and a few that come back to run with me each year).
My training partners are younger and thinner than me and faster. I can keep up occasionally but not enough to suit me. And that has a lot to do with my weight.
I also want to be a good example to the people in my group. If I lose weight and get faster I could move up and take faster training groups. But that is NOT what I want to do. I want to be faster and yet run with the first timers as I get as much satisfaction seeing them succeed as I do with my own running.
Anyway, this is an introduction on why I am here and what I hope to achieve.
Thanks for listening. :smooched:

Replies

• californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the group. We are a good one if I say so myself. Wow, good for you on those marathons. That is awesome. Oh how I wish, I could just run. lol Good luck on your journey, you are in the right place if you are looking for good support from pals.
  • rbeckner711
    rbeckner711 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Welcome. We're all here to improve our lives in some way. Losing weight sounds like a wonderful plan to help you keep running and healthy. I like that you are so engaged with the new runners. It is always fun to help people and get the rush of seeing their enthusiasm flourish!
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hey welcome to this lovely group.....hopefully we can inspire you...as you are an inspiration to so many by the sound of it...... loved reading your post

:flowerforyou:

Jean
  • ranoe
    ranoe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow! What accomplishments you have achieved! Everyone, no matter how successful, struggles in some way. Our struggle happens to be weight. Hopefully with the support and encouragement from the wonderful people here, we will succeed.