Refueling-how often during long training runs

Options
neurorat
neurorat Posts: 73 Member
During my long runs I seem to need to refuel sooner than 60 minutes or I notice that my run suffers (legs sore, pace falls).

I use Sports Beans for refueling-2 to 3 every 60 min of running. I think that I am staying plenty hydrated (I run with a camelbak) and I do eat about 2 hours before a run.

Any thoughts on things I am missing? I know I could increase my fuel intake to every 40 minutes but I want my body to learn to save glycogen stores so that I may progress from half marathon to marathon distances this fall.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I prefer deprivation training. No fuel except for a couple practice runs. No water either unless it's over about 75 and the run is over 16 miles. Get the body accustomed to going without and then the additional fuel will have a greater impact on race day.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I don't fuel on long runs either. I've gone as far as 29 miles without fuel. As long as the training pace is appropriate this never is a problem. I also have a theory that if you run the glycogen low on training runs it will cause the body to increase the size of the glycogen stores.
  • neurorat
    Options
    I would prefer not to refuel, however, it does seem to improve my performance. I do not run in the anaerobic range according to my heart rate, so I should not *need* the food but I am so refreshed afterwards.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I would prefer not to refuel, however, it does seem to improve my performance. I do not run in the anaerobic range according to my heart rate, so I should not *need* the food but I am so refreshed afterwards.

Do you want to improve your training performance or your race performance?
  • neurorat
    Options
    Definitely race performance. Maybe I could wean the fueling. My next Half Marathon isn't until September and my full isn't until October so I have some time to play with things and improve.
  • fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I also have a theory that if you run the glycogen low on training runs it will cause the body to increase the size of the glycogen stores.

it is not a theory it is a fact, this is normal body adaptation
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Definitely race performance. Maybe I could wean the fueling. My next Half Marathon isn't until September and my full isn't until October so I have some time to play with things and improve.

That's the spirit! :) Sometimes, training is going to be uncomfortable. That prepares us for the pain of race day. Sometimes, training is pleasant. That makes it all worthwhile.