Today's topic

Options
aanaheldd
aanaheldd Posts: 32 Member
Hi ladies!
So I was looking at some statistics and was wondering where you all stand.
How many calories is your goal intake each day? Are you all really concerned on meeting a weight loss goal each week? Or is it just "Yay! I lost this much this week!" ?
How often do you weigh yourself? How often do you think is a health amount?

I know for me weighing myself more then once a week is just discouraging. My weight may be up half a pound one day and down two the next. So instead of worrying about all of that, I just look at the number once. I also am not completely concerned with how much I lose each week, it's more how I feel over all. If I am still feeling sluggish and like nothing is changing, then I know I need to change something.
My calorie intake is about 1600. I am starting off with a larger number because I know that if I aim for lower, I'm just asking myself to fail. I don't know of this is right but I don't know how healthy being under 1000 is. Does anyone know? Is there a minimum that is healthy?

Let me know what you ladies think :) Have an AMAZING day!

Replies

• AlexT29
    AlexT29 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is about 1500. It should be a little higher (TDEE-20% and all that) but I found that with a higher amount I was indulging too much. I weigh when I feel like it. This can be once to three times a week. But I don't really care about the number on the scale. I'm more concerned with inches and fitting into my old jeans. I remember one week that I gained a lb but was dancing round the kitchen cause I lost an inch from my waist. :laugh:

I think a person can weigh themselves however often they want and be healthy about it, as long as it doesn't become an obsession. From the message boards, seems this can be once a day to once a month. For calories - thats a topic of debate. I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks. Some say 1200 for women - some say thats too low. Guess it depends on the body. I tried 1200 for a week and I was HANGRY constantly and lost 5 lbs in that one week. It wasn't healthy for me. Seems to work for others though.

Have a great day everyone!
  • Sweetlyxo
    Sweetlyxo Posts: 9
    Options
    Good Morning Beauties!

Calorie intake all depends of you size, your gender and what you are trying to accomplish.
    I noticed by counting my calories and trying to stay within my goal of 1200 it was very hard for me, and so it made
    sense as to why I lost the body I used to have. I ate for the sake of eating. some would say that 1200 is too low, but because my schedule doesn't allow for a lot of exercise time (I get maybe 45 mins a night where try to get as much done as possible), if I want to see any results, this is the best way.. but im not starving my self, my big meals are around the 300-400 kcal category and my snacks are around 180. Im constantly eating all through out the day, just eating things that are better. Like Yogurt (it has a higher sugar content, but we need the protein and the calcium, or like cucumber.. you can eat a full cuc. and feel quite full and still not reach high into those calories. its all about eating the right foods.

As for the weighing, personally I don't like the scale.. muscle weighs too. its not just fat. if you are working out you are going to develop muscle. its inevitable. so if you step on the scale and don't see the numbers dropping... it doesn't mean you aren't losing fat weight, because you are, but you are replacing it with muscle. 5 lbs of fat is a lot more in size than 5 lbs of muscle. So I would recommend that if numbers are your problem, try not to step on the scale, chances are it could discourage you from working hard. you don't want the feeling of "oh great, not losing any weight. why try anymore." Because you are, youre most likely killing it!

Keep at it and you will see it else where... in your clothes, in your face, in your CONFIDENCE and then the people you surround yourself will notice it aswell.

Remember why we are here, and doing this.

We want to feel great when we put on THOSE jeans. you know, the ones you love to wear but unfortunately they just don't look that amazing on us anymore.
    we want to feel sexy when we stand in front of the mirror.
    we want to wake up feeling energized and go to bed like we have accomplished something huge that day!

We are all working so hard, so don't let a couple of silly numbers freak you out!

:)
  • islander85
    islander85 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Maintaining 1200 cals on a daily basis is pretty much impossible for me so I do 500 cals 3 non-consecutive days a week and then 1725 4 days a week so that it all evens out in the end. Not sure if this is good for my body or not but working so far.

I think the most important thing is to be realistic andexperiment until you find something you can stick to whatever the numbers are. I have done so many crash diets and reached my goal weight so many times only to gain it all back again and have to start from scratch. This has to be the last time, its getting boring now! lol

I try to weigh myself only once a week but sometimes I cant help but do it more. But im one of those that's easily discouraged by a dip in the scale so I try to avoid it for as long as possible!
  • aanaheldd
    Options
    I agree completely with you Lindsay. It's so important to see the difference in our body and how our clothes fit! We all need to find those things that fill us up but aren't full of cals!
    I think that's great that you have found something that seems to work Dee! I don't know if it is healthy or not either lol but I'm glad that not every day is a 500 cal day!

I have read a lot about women who eat very few cals a day and their body goes into "starvation mode" where your body stores everything you put into it because it thinks you won't eat enough again.thats what always worries me when I am deciding how many calories to take in. How much is not enough for me? (I know right now I'm okay though) is this why some of us are struggling with weight loss? Just some (healthy) food for thought :)
  • arasky90
    arasky90 Posts: 10
    Options
    For me it is impossible to stick to 1200 cals so I set myself an intake of 1500 and I think it's going to work much better for me in the long run. I don't care if I don't lose weight super fast, I'd rather do it at my own pace and knowing that it's something I can stick to in the future. I've been on diets before, been really disciplined for three months and then go back to my weight in less than a year.
    That needs to change.
    Also, I live in a student town and I bike almost everyday to get anywhere so I'm quite active... I need those damn calories!!! :tongue:

I used to weigh myself every 2/3 days and it was no good for me.
    Now I've decided to weigh myself every wednesday morning but I can pretty much see on how clothes fit on me if I lost any weight.

Love what you said about muscle Lindsay! My dad is a marathon runner and an overall super fit, super healthy person and he always says that weight doesn't matter, muscle does :wink:

Hope you had a wonderful day ladies!
  • aanaheldd
    Options
    I feel the exact same way Sara! so totally true. Your clothes will show it!
  • Sweetlyxo
    Sweetlyxo Posts: 9
    Options
    It so true!
    I said to my boyfriend and my mom that if I don't change to much in size or in weight im okay with it, as long as every has tightened. im just uncomfortably soft and that's the discouraging part. all my scrubs did into my hips and im left with the infamous muffin top, and my shorts seem to barely fit that I have the glorious muffin top with the added sausage leg spewing out from under my shorts!
    so as long as I can firm up my boy.. I will be more than happy to go out and find properly fitted clothes to my body.

BUT in the same breath, if I happen to shrink a tad bit and fit into the old clothes, id be over the moon excited and still reward myself with some nicer newer clothes that better enhance my new bod!

and I must say 1200 kcal seemed like a challenge at the beginning of the week.. and they say the first week is the hardest to rid temptation and rid eating for the sake of eating (and I felt the pressure) but its now Thursday and I feel so much stronger with my will power.. im not craving stuff anymore and 1200 is so easy for me to stay within! this is what will work until I have more time for more physical activity. I work in a dental office, so theres not much physicality to work with.

Im really happy with my nutritional progress in only one week! and even though its only week 1 for me, in the past this was my hardest week. I always crave and cave. so far so good! so that just motivates me to keep at it.

I hope everyone is having a glorious day/week and an even better weekend to come!!

Love,
    Lindsay
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    for me I like to keep it simple and not over complicate things. my first goal is to eat properly and to stop my 90% undereating and 10% binge eating. I was eating 900-1,000 calories but now I am eating around 1300-1400 calories. I eat 3 meals a day and 2-3 snacks spaced every few hours.

I would like to lose 1-2 pounds a week to be realistic in my weight loss goals. to develop confidence and a healthy self esteem
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    How many calories is your goal intake each day? Are you all really concerned on meeting a weight loss goal each week? Or is it just "Yay! I lost this much this week!" ?
    How often do you weigh yourself? How often do you think is a health amount?

My calorie goal is between 1400 and 1500 each day. I'm more concerned with steady weight loss over a long period of time. I try not to have a set goal so that it's more a natural process with less stress. I weigh myself maybe twice a month. I think once a week is good for most but I have a history with EDNOS so I weigh when the mood strikes me and not on any real schedule.