Dukan Diet in a nutshell.

Options
Resalyn
Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
For anyone who needs it - I just typed this up, pulled from the book, for a friend who doesn't want to take the time to read the whole book. This information is all the intellectual property of Dr. Dukan!

DUKAN DIET
There are 4 phases: Attack, Cruise, Consolidation, and Stabilization. See below for details.

ATTACK PHASE:
During this period, which can vary between one and ten days depending on your circumstances, you have unlimited access to the food categories listed below. From these categories, you can eat all you want, without any restriction, at whatever time of day. Think of it as an all-day Eat As Much As You Want buffet.
The watchword is very simple and non-negotiable: you can have everything on the list without exception; everything that is not on the list is banned, so forget about those foods for the moment, knowing that very soon you will have them all again.
1. Lean meats: beef (except ribs and rib eye), veal grilled or roasted without oil or fat.
2. Offal: Kidneys, liver, beef tongue (tip)
3. All poultry, except duck and goose, but without the skin.
4. All fish, fatty, lean, white, oily, raw, or cooked.
5. All shellfish.
6. Low-fat ham, sliced low-fat chicken and pork.
7. Eggs
8. Non-fat dairy products.
9. At least one and a half liters of water with a low salt content.
10. Oat bran galette or 1-1/2 tbsp of oat bran added to milk or a dairy product.
11. A compulsory 20-minute walk per day.
12. Extras: Coffee, tea, vinegar, flavorings, spices, herbs, pickles, lemon (not lemonade) salt, and mustard in moderation.
Apart from these extras and the main food categories described, EAT NOTHING ELSE. All the rest, anything and everything that is not expressly mentioned on this list, is forbidden during the relatively brief period of time that the Attack phase lasts.
Therefore, concentrate on everything you are allowed to have and forget the rest. Vary your meals; mix and match in whatever order, make your menus interesting and never forget that you can have as much as you want off all the foods on this list.

CRUISE PHASE
Keep eating all the Attack diet foods and add the following vegetables, raw or cooked, without limiting quantities, combinations, or time of day: tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, spinach, asparagus, leeks, French beans, cabbage, mushrooms, celery, fennel, all salad greens including chicory, Swiss chard, aubergines, courgettes, peppers. You can even include carrots, beetroot, and artichokes, provided you do not eat them at every meal. Throughout this Cruise phase, you will alternate periods of proteins with vegetables with periods without any vegetables until you reach your desired weight. (Note, must do alternating days in a combination that works for you. 1/1, 2/2, or even up to 5/5 days – 1 day pure protein, 1 day protein/veggies. Or 5 days pure protein, 5 days protein/veggies. Do this til you get to your goal weight.

CONSOLIDATION PHASE
How long this transition diet lasts is calculated according to how much weight you have lost, based on five days for every pound shed. If you have just lost 40 pounds, you have to follow it for 40 times 5 days, i.e. 200 days or six months and 20 days; 20 pounds is equivalent to 100 days. You can easily calculate the exact amount of time you need before reaching permanent stabilization.
The whole time you are consolidating your weight, you will follow this diet as closely as possible and you are allowed the following foods:
• The protein foods from Attack diet
• The vegetables from Cruise diet
• One serving of fruit a day, except bananas, raisins, and cherries
• Two slices of whole meal bread per day
• 1-1/2 oz of cheese per day
• Two servings of starchy foods per week
• Lamb and pork roast (lean cuts
Then to crown it all:
• Two celebration meals per week (you are free to choose, but no binging.)
But also, absolutely and without question:
• One day of pure protein (the Attack diet) per week, on the same day every week and without fail.

STABILIZATION PHASE
1. Go back to eating what you want 6 days out of 7, while keeping the consolidation foods as your safety base and platform.
2. Hold on to everything you have learned and the good habits you have acquired while completing the whole program.
3. Enshrine protein Thursdays as the day that protects you for the rest of your life.
4. Live your life as if lifts and escalators did not exist.
5. Also, take 3 tbsp of oat bran every day for the rest of your life.
If you neglect any of these five measures, you will put your weight management at risk. If you give them all up, sooner or later you will definitely put back on all the weight you have lost.

Replies

• dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! YOU ROCK! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • livestrong65
    livestrong65 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks, thats awesome! One question though, since you are experienced: I have, love and had Greek yogurt today. They are fat free, one is vanilla flavoured with 19 gr of sugar, the other one is with strawberry fruit on the bottom and has 12 gr of sugar.
    Is that okay to have?
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    LIvestrong - yep, those are okay to have, according to Dr. Dukan. I'm not that experienced, very new at the Dukan diet, but here is what his book says about yogurt:

"Natural and flavored yogurts are both allowed wihtou any restriction.

Non-fat fruit yogurts are allowed too, but a maximum of two per day. However, if you want a lightning fast start to your Attack phase diet, you are better off avoiding them altogether and even more so if you are going through a period when your weight is stagnating."

What he means by "nonfat fruit yogurts" are ones that have bits of fruit in them or a fruit puree base, or "fruit on the bottom." Those have a higher natural sugar because of the bits of fruit. I indulge in the FF flavored, or use plain Greek (like 0% Fage) and flavor it with SF strawberry syrup or mix with Splenda and another FF flavored yogurt product.

I just prefer adding the Fage to the FF flavored yogurts cuz it's more like pudding, and seems to stick with me better, KWIM?
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    love this!
  • Goingplaces2
    Goingplaces2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, just joined MPF and thinking of doing Dukan, but want to keep an eye on my cholestral level as well - does this diet suit those that want to keep cholestral levels down? :smile:
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi Goingplaces2, Welcome! Based on my recent blood work numbers, I think low-carb diets tend to increase cholestrol. My cholestrol went up from 158 to 189 in a matter of 14 months where I did low-carb on and off. Most of the increase was LDL (my HDL is around 71). With the low-carb diets, you tend to increase the fat intake... That is the big downside and you got to watch out.

Although Dukan is low-carb and low-fat as well, it allows eggs, etc if you are numbers are good. However, you got to watch for the cholestrol even while on Dukan. When I did Dukan months ago, I did not realise and consumed 2 eggs/day, dark meats like chicken thighs (skinless ofcourse), etc. assuming my cholestrol numbers were great. I was wrong. If you don't watch, the numbers could go in the wrong direction...Now, I make sure my cholestrol intake is not more than 300-400/day.

Also, here is the similar situation from MFP pal who did low-carb
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817068-help-understanding-my-bloodwork

Cheers!
  • littlebutnice
    littlebutnice Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    great xx
  • Michelleanon
    Michelleanon Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Been doing Dukan for a few months now. Lost approx 10-12lbs but have "cheated" immensely not so much with food but with :drinker: on the weekends.
    My question is with regards to the exercise part. I have a gym membership so the mandatory 20 minute walk is my warm up BUT then i do some weight training. I am wondering if this is actually slowing down my "loosing" process as in order to build muscle you need protein and as you know there is plenty protein in attack phase and second stage but can you really eat enough protein to cover the weight training part AS well mantain your daily intake and loose weight? I can't remember if there is a part in the book which talks about this...and I lent my book out. Does he say NOT do weight training...a little confused...
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I skimmed the book a few days ago just to refresh my mind on what he does say on exercise. I didn't see anything other than do the minimum, and do as much as activity as you can.