Almond and/or Coconut Milk without all the crap?

Options
Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
So, I'd like to cut down on my dairy milk intake (and potentially that of my son's) and start playing around more with Almond and Coconut milk. However, when I tried to find some the other day, all of the varieties that my local Kroger had all had additives in them! I expected this for the flavored and sweetened ones, but even the "original" and "unsweetened" varieties had a bunch of additives.

So, short of making your own (which I'm not opposed to, store bought is just generally more convenient), does anyone have any recommendations for almond and/or coconut milk that is just that?

Replies

• msb803
    msb803 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I make my own almond milk now. For coconut milk, I buy Thai Kitchen Organic coconut milk by the case from amazon.com. It doesn't have the junky additives that a lot of others have. Typically, for coconut milk, anything sold in a carton(refrigerated or not) will have more additives than the canned coconut milk.
  • rusty1257
    rusty1257 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You will need to look at the coconut milk that is in cans to avoid much of the crap. Something Forest (sorry can't remember the name) says no BPA in their can.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    if you live near an asian market... go buy aroy-d coconut milk in cartons. they are bpa free and have NO additional ingredients as preservatives or thickeners like almost every other brand does... plus it is a lot cheaper!