Finished New Rules Stage 1!

Options
Guess what? I've FINALLY completed Stage 1 of New Rules. Woot!

I feel like it took me forever with an unintended rest week and a few other roadblocks thrown into various workout days, but I did it! I'm not posting scale/measurement/pic results right now because I want to give my body a few days to let go of any water before doinga ll of that. With my thyroid being jacked up during much of Stage 1, things were just not moving in those areas. So I'm not expecting stellar results with those things.

BUT I am pretty happy about my strength gains. I think they're decent. So here's my strength progress.

Squat

Starting Weight - Bar
Ending Weight - 135 pounds

Push-ups

Starting - 45 degree push-ups - Unable to complete all reps
Ending - 30 degree push-ups - Completing all reps and focusing on good form

Seated Row

Starting - 50 pounds
Ending - 95 pounds

Step-up

Starting - 10 pounds on a small step
Ending - 30 pounds on a bench

Prone Jackknife

Starting - Able to complete all reps. Very shaky and unsteady.
Ending - Able to complete all reps. Much more steady.

Deadlift

Starting - Bar
Ending - 115 pounds

Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Starting - 10 pounds
Ending - 30 pounds

Lat Pull-Downs

Starting - 60 pounds
Ending - 80 pounds with great form, 90 pounds with not so great form

Lunges

Starting - 10 pounds and wanted to die with each one
Ending - 40 pounds and still wanting to die with each one

Swiss Crunch

Starting - 5 pounds - all reps complete
Ending - 20 pounds - all reps complete

Replies

• Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can be so proud of yourself!!! Doesn't it feel awesome to feel STRONG? You go girl! :flowerforyou:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Congrats C! Looks like amazing progress! You got way higher numbers than I did:)
    On to stage 2 for you!!:)
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I just finished too!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I felt like I was NEVER going to reach the end of Stage 1. I'll try to do pics this weekend. I'm a bit nervous that there's going to be absolutely NO change in the pics. I think it's highly possible actually since I was trying to get my thyroid regulated through most of Stage 1.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to start, but absolutely terrified at the same !
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Can't wait to start, but absolutely terrified at the same !

Awww. It looks intimidating, but after a few weeks you'll feel like a pro!
  • dlcarroll13
    dlcarroll13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!

I just finished week 2 of stage 1 today and am LOVING the program so far. Feel stronger already :)
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Way to go!!!

I just finished week 2 of stage 1 today and am LOVING the program so far. Feel stronger already :)

Awesome! I think it really is a great program. I feel like it's pretty gentle as far as easing into the strength training.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! You must feel amazing :) those are great improvements. On to Stage 2!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great work, and even if somehow it's not as visible as you'd like it to be, rest assured lying under there is a 24 hr a day calorie burning machine raring to go!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Here's measurements. I admit that I don't trust some of them as I suck at measuring in the same spot on some of these. However, usually underbust, waist, natural waist, hips, neck, and wrist are easy for me to consistently get in the same spot. The other ones I'm not too sure about, but I'll report them anyways. Also, they're not beginning and ending measurements as it took me awhile to find my measuring tape after starting New Rules. Also, I ate at TDEE for the first month and actually ended up gaining a few pounds, so the first measurements were taken before I went back to eating at a deficit. I started out with a small deficit (under 10%) and increased it towards the end (between 10-15%) So here's middle of Stage 1 and end of Stage 1 measurements!

3/23/13 (one month into New Rules) 5/11/13

Weight - 211.6 207.4 -4.2 pounds
    Underbust - 37.25 36.5 -.75
    Natural Waist - 40.25 40 -.25
    Mom Pouch - 47 45.75 -1.25
    Hips - 48.5 48 -.5
    Neck - 14 13.75 -.25
    Wrist - 6.5 6.5 0
    R Thigh - 25 26 +1
    L Thigh - 25 28 +3
    L Calf - 16 15.75 -.25
    R Calf - 16 15.25 -.75
    R. Forearm - 9.5 9.5 0
    L. Forearm - 9.25 10 +.75
    R. Bicep - 12.5 13 +.5
    L. Bicep - 12.5 13 +.5

Pretty sure that I didn't actually gain 3 inches in my left thigh! I kind of suck at measuring! I do finally have calipers on the way. It'd be nice if they arrive prior to my starting stage 2 and then I can do some body fat measurements with that. Hopefully I'll be able to get hubby to take some pics for me today and then I can update with the pic later.

Anyways, I think I'm pleased with the results. I'm hoping for increased results now that I'm on the proper dose of thyroid meds.
  • heybales
    Options
    Great work with inches lost.

That's what is nice about measuring for those BF calc's - it's usually max or min girth on whatever part is measured, except abdomen, which is at belly button, level all the way around.
    But the others don't have to be in exact same spot, biggest, except waist which is smallest.

But I got to warn you, if you are doing that badly at measuring and hitting the same spot with tape measure, that caliper is likely to be upwards of 15% off easily. It's 5% in the hands of an experienced person, and you are hydrated correctly.
    At least use the 7-site method to level out the bad variances, but don't put too much weight (ha!) in the results.
  • KatieDuvall612
    KatieDuvall612 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Your Stage 1 strength gains are awesome! Great work and congrats!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    And here's my pics finally! Pink shirt is back in February. Black shirt pics were taken yesterday.

Stage_1_progress_front.jpg

Stage_1_side_and_back_progress.jpg
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Hmmm...must be doing something wrong with getting pics posted.
  • heybales
    Options
    And here's my pics finally! Pink shirt is back in February. Black shirt pics were taken yesterday.

Stage_1_progress_front.jpg

Stage_1_side_and_back_progress.jpg

lower case img.
    don't use url stuff.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Thank you heybales! :)
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Fabulous results all around, you will be so proud and happy. Great strength improvements. Your hair looks really nice short too.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Fabulous results all around, you will be so proud and happy. Great strength improvements. Your hair looks really nice short too.

Awww...thanks! I'm loving the short hair - so easy to mange with kiddos around...lol!