Please check out my food diary!

Options
Cryck84
Cryck84 Posts: 24 Member
Hello all!
I have just recently started eating primal. I am 5'8", 164 lb at last weigh in. I am doing the 30DS 4x per week, and jogging ~30 min 3x per week. There is no crossfit gym here, otherwise I'd be all over it. I would still like to lose fat and become more muscular.
Can someone more experienced please take a look at my food diary for the past couple of weeks and let me know how I'm doing? I would really appreciate the feedback to make sure I'm on the right track!

Thanks! :drinker:

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    your carbs and proteins are looking pretty ok. You might be a little heavy on the fruits (fructose can pull you down).
    Not sure how the beer for a snack qualifies for primal.
  • Cryck84
    Options
    Ha ha the beer is DEFINITELY a cheat, but there is no more in the house, I have no vehicle, and the liquor store is 185 km away!
    Thanks for taking a look, Mike :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I would track sugar too. You'd be surprised how many things have it that you would just never imagine.

I don't obsess over it, but I definitely try to keep it as low as possible.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    , I have no vehicle, and the liquor store is 185 km away!
    Thanks for taking a look, Mike :)
    You might have to hunt and kill your own food - definitely primal.

and WTH are you kissing in your pic? a lizard or something?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Hello. My lifestyle is ketogenic primal. It's a permanent change that has resolved all of my many serious health issues.

In my opinion, your carbs are quite high and your fat far too low. You may not have the trouble with carbs that I do, but everyone will benefit from a higher fat intake than MFP defaults recommend. I agree with the others to watch the sugar, including fructose from fruit.

It looks like you are using MFP macro defaults; why? The defaults are set for the Standard American Diet and we all know how well that is working out for everyone's health. :noway:

I have modified my macro goals to 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carb. I think 50% fat is the bare minimum for good health.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I think the protein looks a bit low as well..0.7-1 gram per lean body mass.
    I agree that fat is low and your carbs are set too high.It's possible to customise your macros by changing it in your goals.
    Have a feel around for what feels best for you.Everyone has different needs.
    I do high fat/low carbs/moderate protein.It works best for me to keep sugar cravings at bay and I feel much more calm without the sugar noose around my neck!
    Good luck!
    just looked,your calories seem really low..try tdee -20%..scooby calculator works well for this
  • Cryck84
    Options
    Thanks a lot, everyone! I started on MFP months before I found out about the paleo/primal lifestyles, so my macros (at this point) do reflect the SAD. Since I started changing my habits I have not been aiming for those numbers, just trying to keep my carbs down around 100. I will do some reading and tweak those in the next day or so.

Mike, the pic was from a day at the beach that was me + two couples. We found the alligator toy and it became my "date." Nowadays I do have an SO and no longer seek companionship from plastic reptiles.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree with the too many fruits (fructose) suggestion. I'd also cut out things like VH one stirfry sauce. It's total junk and will hinder your efforts by not supporting a healthy body. Skim milk is also very high in sugar and if you are choosing to consume dairy, I'd suggest you try organic whole milk or cream (don't be fearful of fat). Same with the cheese. Great work on the switch, it will get easier!
  • Cryck84
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have planned food for today and cut out fruit. As far as milk goes I have purchased 2% but I don't think I can get organic whole milk here. It's very isolated. Tea just doesn't taste the same with cream ;)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I agree with the too many fruits (fructose) suggestion. I'd also cut out things like VH one stirfry sauce. It's total junk and will hinder your efforts by not supporting a healthy body. Skim milk is also very high in sugar and if you are choosing to consume dairy, I'd suggest you try organic whole milk or cream (don't be fearful of fat). Same with the cheese. Great work on the switch, it will get easier!

I also noticed the stir fry sauce, mostly due to the high carb/sugar content. I personally go for the full-fat greek yogurt, not the fat-free stuff. Top with some cinnamon and fresh berries - YUM!

I don't know if you necessarily need to completely cut out fruit, berries are fairly lower in sugar (fructose) content.

Also, no one else commented, but I'd add some sprinting work in place of/in addition to jogging, if you want to burn some fat. I've never done 30DS so I don't know what it's like, but I'd challenge you to heavier loads (weights) for less reps. Lift Heavy Things! If you want more ideas for that, let me know.
  • Cryck84
    Options
    When I am back in civilization for the summer I hope to check out a crossfit club. I want to lift heavy and become more muscular, but I need to learn correct form because I am totally clueless in that respect. Then when I know what I am doing I can use the weights in the school gym here.

The VH sauce was a one-off. It was so sweet and gross. I live in a really small town very far away from almost everything, so as far as groceries I have to take what I can get :P At least I can get fresh produce here! For stir fries I think I will start using sour cream with curry in it for my sauce.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Re: exercise. Look into body weight strength training. "Body by You" is a good book for beginner/intermediate females. Body weight exercises can be as easy or difficult as you need. A few inexpensive props come in handy for a few exercises, but mostly nothing is needed. Kettlebells are an option too and I've been able to get Amazon to ship some to me in the Arctic. I regret buying a used Bowflex last summer because i can't get it back together and now I've figured out that it will never be needed.