Now for your skin....

Options
conniedj
conniedj Posts: 470 Member
After cleaning out my cupboards.....I become more focused on switching up the ingredients in what my kids were bathing in. Can you say toxic soup??? I am amazed anew at the list of chemicals that are legally allowed to come into daily contact with our largest organ: SKIN!

Here is a great article and website bursting with information on avoiding cancer:
http://cvskinlabs.com/safety-ingredients/ingredients-to-avoid/

Enjoy!

Replies

• Marga40
    Marga40 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks Connie! This is such important information. I'm having an impossible time finding appropriate skincare for my face. Every natural, chem-free product I've found contains either aloe or chamomile, both of which I'm allergic to. Right now I'm on soap & water, while I heal from my last accidental aloe exposure. It's really awful having contact dermatitis on your face! I've tried a variety of products, but these things are so expensive after awhile, and I'm beginning to feel like a science experiment. The dermatologist products can be the worst sometimes, in terms of ingredients. My next attempt is going to be pure organic jojoba oil, though I've no idea if I'll be reactive to it. Suggestions are welcome! :)
  • Marga40
    Marga40 Posts: 25
    Options
    OH, also... a great resource for evaluating different products' formulations is the Environmental Working Group's 'skindeep' database. It's at www.ewg.org/skindeep/

You can search for specific items, or browse the category headings. They publish a good sunscreen list each year as well.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I use skin deep. org too! for your face....I started using this soap several months ago, I use the coconut, but have been thinking about trying the volcanic. I use this soap for my body, face and even my hair! *coconut contains aloe, volcanic does not:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017QPOAM/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • AlleganyMiss
    Options
    You might try this gal who has a website called Natural and Frugal:Raising 6 kids. She is on facebook too. If you go to her face book page and click on albums in those albums is photo's and recipes for all natural body and home care things you can make. She has excellent recipes too ...but...not really "Clean".
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I made my own soap a few years ago and I had a really fun time doing it. Not the "melt some soap pellets and shape it" kind. My cousin and I went in on supplies. We really had control over what went into it and how it would smell.