What do you guys do on your non C25K days?

Options
aimforhealthy
aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
I do upper-body strength training on my C25K days as well, but I've been looking into Stronglifts and I'm wondering if it might be "too much" to do that program on the days I don't do C25K since it does involve strength training your lower body. Right now I've just been doing some core/ab work and some yoga 2-3 times a week on non-C25K days. Anyone else?

Replies

• M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I was doing the Julian Michaels video or zumba but now im getting back into Nike+ Kinect. I run Mon, Wed, and Fri. So on Tuesday its cardio on Nike +Kinect and Thursday its strength training on it... I know im suppose to rest but i have more goals than just to run a 5k.. im also trying to loose another 25+ lbs.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I do P90X strength training + abs on my non-running days. I would not avoid lower body strength training - it is very helpful to your running. But do lower body before a rest day. When I do the P90X legs workout I am sore for 2-3 days but that first day after is the worst!
  • drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do the Jillian micheals 30 day shred. I love her workouts and its the only video I've been able to stick to so far
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Running only works specific lower body muscles. However, you need a lot more to stabilize you and keep you from injury. I find that I can run after lunges but weighted squats hurt.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution but taking a month for each phase rather than two weeks. Once I'm done with that, I plan to go to Chalean Extreme to continue some strength training alongside the 5K cardio.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    When I did C25K I alternated with weight lifting, and left Sundays for free days. You can strength train while do this, and it helped me a lot because you strengthen your core.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 3 x Chalean Extreme.

It's week one for both programmes so I'm still on a bit of a trial run to see if it works out. The soreness isn't too bad so far, it's workable, but I am getting pretty exhausted energy-wise either mid-morning or mid-afternoon. I'm trying to eat more cals (moving up to 1700) but I'm finding it hard. I feel like I'm eating all the time and it's making me feel a little icky.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I'm doing some strength training and riding my bicycle.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

It's week one for both programmes so I'm still on a bit of a trial run to see if it works out. The soreness isn't too bad so far, it's workable, but I am getting pretty exhausted energy-wise either mid-morning or mid-afternoon. I'm trying to eat more cals (moving up to 1700) but I'm finding it hard. I feel like I'm eating all the time and it's making me feel a little icky.

Well, that's why you eat, right? So you can do cool stuff with your body.
  • kiekie
    Options

Well, that's why you eat, right? So you can do cool stuff with your body.

Yes! My stomach seems to need to get a move on and catch up with the programme though!
  • rduhlir
    Options
    During C25K, I started out eating 1200 calories and I was just exhuasted. Come to find out I wasn't eating no where near what I should have been. That lasted about a week or so and then I upped to 1800 calories daily. Now, I eat betwen 1700-1900 calories a day. I run 4 days a week, heavy lift 2 days, and also have softball now.

As your mileage increases, you will need to eat more and more as your body is burning more and more fuel. If you are having issues with getting calories in, try whole food versions of food. For example, use whole milk and cheeses (don't go over board with those though because of sat fats and stuff). Cook with olive oils, eat nuts, eat more calorie dense fruits (bananas are great at this). And make sure you are getting those carbs. I have seen a lot of people say they are tired all the time, I look at their diary and they are low carbing but doing cardio for like 90 minutes a day. I wanna yell and shake them into realization when I see that.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    While I was doing C25k, I lifted weights on the off-days.

My schedule was -

Monday - C25k
    Tuesday - Full body weights workout
    Wednesday - C25k
    Thursday - Upper body only weights workout
    Friday - C25k
    Saturday - Full body weights workout
    Sunday - rest

I use isolation exercises on a machine, since that's what I have access to. I also gradually eased into the weights, just as C25k eases you into running.

I completed C25k a few months ago, but keep the same schedule, running 5k on what used to be C25k days.
  • kiekie
    Options
    During C25K, I started out eating 1200 calories and I was just exhuasted. Come to find out I wasn't eating no where near what I should have been. That lasted about a week or so and then I upped to 1800 calories daily. Now, I eat betwen 1700-1900 calories a day. I run 4 days a week, heavy lift 2 days, and also have softball now.

As your mileage increases, you will need to eat more and more as your body is burning more and more fuel. If you are having issues with getting calories in, try whole food versions of food. For example, use whole milk and cheeses (don't go over board with those though because of sat fats and stuff). Cook with olive oils, eat nuts, eat more calorie dense fruits (bananas are great at this). And make sure you are getting those carbs. I have seen a lot of people say they are tired all the time, I look at their diary and they are low carbing but doing cardio for like 90 minutes a day. I wanna yell and shake them into realization when I see that.

Hijacking thread slightly... sorry!

I do eat all of the above. I eat TDEE - 15% with 45% carb, 30% protein and 25% fat and follow IIFYM but focus on whole foods. My average carb intake is around 170g. Not sure what constitutes low carb but I'm not deliberately doing low carb.

I have no problem with doing just cardio, it's always when I include weight lifting that this happens (it's happened before and the nap attacks were so bad I gave up and went back to cardio because I have a toddler and NEED energy!). I average around 90-100g protein a day, which is apparently enough. I wonder whether this is keeping me so full, eating more is a chore. I'm sure I'll figure it out over the next couple of weeks!
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Dancing or long walks :)
  • wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Cardio kickboxing or Zumba classes. I also do some light weight work (primarily upper body) on seated machines on my C25K days and sneak in some lower body stuff on my off days if I have time. I'd like to get into a more structured and challenging weight lifting routine, but now's not an ideal time for me to start something new and stick to it.
  • rduhlir
    Options

Hijacking thread slightly... sorry!

I do eat all of the above. I eat TDEE - 15% with 45% carb, 30% protein and 25% fat and follow IIFYM but focus on whole foods. My average carb intake is around 170g. Not sure what constitutes low carb but I'm not deliberately doing low carb.

I have no problem with doing just cardio, it's always when I include weight lifting that this happens (it's happened before and the nap attacks were so bad I gave up and went back to cardio because I have a toddler and NEED energy!). I average around 90-100g protein a day, which is apparently enough. I wonder whether this is keeping me so full, eating more is a chore. I'm sure I'll figure it out over the next couple of weeks!

Have you been following up with a protein shake after workouts? I find that if I don't dump some quick protein in my body after weight lifting I get really hungry. I have also read some where (don't remember if it was on here or on a fitnes column) that when you first start heavy lifting that some people end up getting hunger triggers, but that they do go away after about a week or so. I read to try and ignore them the best you can, but I don't really get anything like that.

Anyway, I am about to be bumping up to -15% because of all the stuff I do now. The early days of C25K can be both the worst and the best. Especially if you are begining. Your legs will be sore from using muscles that you haven't used in years, but you will have such a sense of accomplishment for getting out there and doing it.

As the weeks go on, you will find yourself able to do more and more. The key is going to be making sure you do not adversly effect your recovery, especially when you start getting into week 5 and on. Those recovery days are key, that is why it is recommended only to run the 3-4 days a week. The key for non C25K days is going to be finding an activity that is an active recovery from your running....which I happen to be bias towards lifting so I will always recommend it lol.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm afraid of - if I do strength training on my non-C25K days, am I giving myself enough recovery time?

I'd like to start lifting, but do want to give my muscles some proper time to recover. Does anyone lift and run on the same days, or might that be too much?
  • kjohnson754
    kjohnson754 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Walk at lunch and do Jillian when I get home from work.
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    Three days a week I do The biggest loser workout -Cardio Max. One day a week I try to get Zumba in and one day week whatever outside chore that will burn calories(mowing the lawn). Or I should say that the one day of the week is either Zumba or mowing.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the whole "How much is too much?" balance. I was doing JMBR seven days a week (cardio on the extra day) before I started C25K. I swapped out the cardio for running now, but I was feeling a lot more beat so I've taken an off day from JMBR on a couple of weeks. On the flipside, I'll toss in the JMBR cardio or a Leslie Sansone walk as an extra workout on days when I'm feeling especially energetic. I'm listening to my body to see if there's a trend or if it's just best to go with the flow of what I'm feeling.