Ideal macros for fat burn???

Options
dhldc85
dhldc85 Posts: 16 Member
Hey there,

Just wondering what other ladies had their macros set at who are having good luck with fat burning. I had my set 40C30P30F but recently changed them to 35C35P30F. I am eating between 1700-1900 calories per day BTW.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I eat about 100 grams of protein a day, which is about 15%. I eat a "low carb" diet because I eat a lot of fat and mostly stay within my calorie goal, so my carb and fat tend to be about even. However, I understand that there are health problems that can result from eating too much dietary fat/cholesterol. On the third hand, I am steadily losing weight.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Really, you need to make sure that you get enough protein (.75-1 gram per pound of body weight) and then after that, you need to go with what keeps you satisfied and within your calorie limit. Fat and protein will keep you satisfied longer, but, if you're like me, carbs taste good.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    (.75-1 gram per pound of body weight)

It's actually 1 gram per kilo. Some people suggest that you don't get any more benefit after 100 grams.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    (.75-1 gram per pound of body weight)

It's actually 1 gram per kilo. Some people suggest that you don't get any more benefit after 100 grams.

I would really challenge this. People of different sizes and activity levels have big differences in the amount of protein they need.
    I shoot for 40% protein, which works out to 1g/ pound for me, like LCUConley said.

ETA: The idea is that you need to make sure to eat enough protein and lift while you're trying to lose to maintain your lean body mass. Whenever you lose weight there is a mix of fat and LBM being lost, but by following these suggestions you can help limit the LBM lost so you can decrease pure body fat. Good luck :smile:
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I eat paleo, so my macros are set like this: carbs less than 100 grams a day (roughly 20%). Protein at 25% (119 grams a day), and fat at 55%. It is working very, very well! Good luck.
  • dhldc85
    dhldc85 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your response. I have been researching paleo diet and heard good things. Do you ever fee like you have low energy as a result of lower carbs. and do you count fruit as your 100g of carbs per day?
  • athenalove46
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your response. I have been researching paleo diet and heard good things. Do you ever fee like you have low energy as a result of lower carbs. and do you count fruit as your 100g of carbs per day?

Not at all! I actually have increased energy. The only thing to focus on when going Paleo, is to make sure you are eating enough calories (ideally through fat). If you just go with how you feel (I did that, and learned I was only eating 1200 calories a day....WAY too low to function!) it's so easy to not get enough calories in because you do feel fuller because you're eating more nutrient dense foods.

I see my best changes when I stick with around 50 grams of carbs a day. Any lower and I get a bit sluggish, anything over 100 grams and you're out of that "fat burning" mode. Mark's Daily Apple was the blog that opened me up to this way of eating. Here is a great place to get started (they have an excellent article on carbs): http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/#axzz2SuqRT7nM

And, yes, fruit is counted with your daily carbs. :)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Fat Burning Mode? :huh: Are you talking keto now?

Paleo is just another restrictive diet. Why cut out entire food groups if there is no medical reason to (is my theory and how I eat). Why cut out legumes like beans and lentils which are great sources of fiber and protein; wheat; and dairy, I love my Greek yogurt and use a good amount of Whey protein. Just make sure you know what you're getting into. You don't have to restrict entire food groups to lose fat!
  • athenalove46
    Options
    Fat Burning Mode? :huh: Are you talking keto now?

Paleo is just another restrictive diet. Why cut out entire food groups if there is no medical reason to (is my theory and how I eat). Why cut out legumes like beans and lentils which are great sources of fiber and protein; wheat; and dairy, I love my Greek yogurt and use a good amount of Whey protein. Just make sure you know what you're getting into. You don't have to restrict entire food groups to lose fat!

Restrictive if you mean not eating processed foods. If you do your research you will learn that legumes are no good for the body. They contain many anti-nutrients and other stuff that prevents proper digestion. Wheat...well, I could go on and on about that. Wheat is the basis of all the ailments that Americans (arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, auto-immune symptoms...that's just a tip of the ice burg). It is suggested that 95% of Americans today have a sensitivity to gluten to some degree. Also need to remember the wheat we grow today is not the same wheat our ancestors ate. Dairy, I still eat dairy. There are actually two factions Paleo/Primal. Pretty much the same thing with the only difference being the no dairy thing. I love my raw milk and would never give it up. Corn? I avoid it only for the reason that most of it today is GMO. I avoid GMO whenever possible.

OP, just do your research and find what works best for you. :) It is known that going lower carb definitely does cut out the fat.
  • emmycaitlin0304
    emmycaitlin0304 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Well I'm vegan so I'm not going to judge anyone cutting out food groups...but never in my life have I heard that legumes are bad for you. Quite the opposite in fact. Amazing anti-cancer properties, great plant based sources of protein and fiber.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Well I'm vegan so I'm not going to judge anyone cutting out food groups...but never in my life have I heard that legumes are bad for you. Quite the opposite in fact. Amazing anti-cancer properties, great plant based sources of protein and fiber.

yes, beans are awesome!
  • emmycaitlin0304
    emmycaitlin0304 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yes they are! I'm also following the Eat to Live plan so I pretty much have to have them! I love them though so it is easy!