BMR Way off Jawbone UP vs scooby

Options
jaycee76
jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
Hi all
I have been eating TDEE less 15 for the last 6 plus weeks. I got my figures from scooby and have been averaging 1750 (based on 1340 bmr and moderately active)per day. I am not lifting due to medical issues and I am only walking, but I am averaging more than 14000 steps per day.
I have not lost any weight at all.
I just got a JAWBONE UP and the last few days, my BMR is only 1100 calories and after daily activity burn approx 1900 (inc BMR) and this has been after walking more than 6 miles per day!
So, I am wondering if I should drop some more calories? Has anyone had this with any similar body monitor? I am supposed to be eating more so I don't want to do the wrong thing by dropping again!!
Any help and or advice would be much appreciated

Replies

• jaycee76
    Options
    Bump
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating tdee for a week to see if the estimated tdee is near your actual tdee? I know that if it's saying your bmr is lower it may or may not be true. Have you gotten your rmr tested? And depending on how much you have to lose, if less than 10 lbs, you may want a 10% deficit instead of 15.
  • jaycee76
    Options
    Have you tried eating tdee for a week to see if the estimated tdee is near your actual tdee? I know that if it's saying your bmr is lower it may or may not be true. Have you gotten your rmr tested? And depending on how much you have to lose, if less than 10 lbs, you may want a 10% deficit instead of 15.
    I have been cutting by 15% based on scooby data but never gained or lost. So,does it mean that the Jawbone info is right and I am not as high a resting burn and so probably eating at TDEE and not at the 15% cut I thought?
  • aliciab307
    Options
    If jawbone is correct then you only had a 150 cal deficit and would take about 3.3 weeks to see a pound of fat go. If you know bf% you can get a more accurate bmr. There are other factors like if you chose the correct activity level, if you weigh your food vs measuring, if youve eaten low cals for a long period etc.
  • jaycee76
    Options
    Just had a thought! I am not sure that the UP measures calories when you are in sleep mode ( it does not give an actual burn during sleep mode at least) so I might try not switching to sleep mode tonight and see if this makes a difference. I have been in bed for nearly 9hours the last 2 nights so if I am not being read for calories in this time, then surely my resting level will be more???? Can't seem to find out anywhere if it does or doesn't!
    For ref, I am normally sitting between 27 to 28.7 on my monitor for body fat. Although I have not lost during my 6 or so weeks, I have def seen a change to shape! I know weight loss is not everything but the last 5lbs just don't seem to want to go for me!!!
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Id hope it tracks sleep calories i think it would. It could be that scooby is more of a range. For example 3-5 hrs/week is 2400 cals. But what if your activity is 3.1 hrs per week versus 5.5 hrs. They both fall within the same range but surely maintenance calls would vary between the two.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    To the excellent point made about Katch BMR using a decent bodyfat stat.

Look at that night time calorie burn, I'm sure it would have to include that to hope to show a daily TDEE.

Find a block of time and amount of calories and do the math to see what that would be for 24 hrs.

Is that close to Katch BMR figure, hopefully is, but they have to base it on gender, age, height, weight, not BF% and better estimate of BMR.

But then again, you may be close.

Then it's a matter of, are your exercise the type it will decently measure, or not? Like lifting, cyclying, rowing, ect.

Then as the other devices do, they use BMR level calories for ALL non-moving times, which is under-estimate for awake sitting/standing time. So a really sedentary day is deflated TDEE.
    Get moving though, much more accurate.

You can confirm that by looking at block of time it shows the lowest while away, perhaps at moving, again doing math to daily value.