Daily Thread, May 10th

Options
talenarenee
talenarenee Posts: 50 Member
I live in Korea so I'm probably the first to start the workouts if everyone else is back home in the states. :-)

Today I did my Day 22- Cardio Power and Resistance (not what the calendar has). I noticed for the first time that my power jumps are getting MUCH better! That and the fact that I didn't fall over during the quad stretch (I have sucky balance) were my happy achievements today! :-)

Replies

• SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Great job and congratulations on your progress! :)
  • talenarenee
    Options
    Um... so yeah... I realized I started this thread too early!!! LOL. It's just now May 10th. Being a school teacher, you'd think I was more up to date with the calendar (only 21 more school days left!). :-) So the workout I posted about above was really my May 9th work out. I'll update later today when I get a chance to squeeze in the May 10th workout.
  • Pink_Cheek
    Pink_Cheek Posts: 92
    Options
    My workout this morning was the Plyo cardio circuit. After a week of insanity I actually feel great. More energy and so far less cravings for the sugar.

I do still have issues with some of the exercises, for instance I cannot, for the life of me, do scissor kicks or butt kicks. Just not gonna happen. Maybe as a get a bit of the weight off it will improve, but for now I just run in place during those two exercises. Anyone else have issues with certain exercises?
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    Options
    I have issues with exercises that require a bit of coordination. Like moving your leg in one direction, stretching the other, and touching the ground with one hand and switching positions right away. I always ask myself which arm he is using and I try to look but he is too fast :) Once in a while I need to pause the video just to see which arm goes up and which leg goes down etc :)

Pure Cardio day for me. I'm going to change my clothes and start doing it now. *gulp*
  • aletadiana
    aletadiana Posts: 54
    Options
    Pure Cardio today! One of the things I'll measure progress with is how many times I press pause hahaha....today I think I did about 9 pauses to catch my breath, drink water and recover a little. Especially during the end I paused every time during the last 4-5 exercises...and I was pretty pathetic doing suicide drills...sooooo tired! AND I'll admit, without shame that I have been doing my pushups on my knees...I'm just not that strong yet and I figure it's better on the knees to build up strength than not at all!
  • anokte
    anokte Posts: 12
    Options
    I did Pure Cardio today, too. That workout is tough! Don't feel bad, aletadiana—I did knee push-ups instead of push-up jacks, too. I was pretty wiped out by the end and figured it was better to keep strengthening my arms than to end up doing very little with that minute of workout time. I also had to take a couple of short 10-20 second breaks during the Level 2 Drills and the Frog Jumps, yikes! I found it comforting that Shaun T's backup fitness people were also getting tired.

Of course, I always think I'm going to die during these workouts, then then when they are done I feel great. So of course I decided to go the extra mile and try Cardio Abs. It was really tough, but I don't regret it! My abs are going to be incredible, even if hidden beneath a protective layer of fluff. :P
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have some exercises I find easy and excel at mostly,
    suicide drills,
    123 heisman,
    burpees
    push up jacks

however there are some I hate and suck at like
    Knees up,
    the damn football drills (by the time he says set and sprint my body is always trying to catch up, how do they move so fast at this point in the workout)

My goal is to match Tonya I will beat her eventually.
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    Options
    Pure Cardio completed! Did I actually see Tonya (or is it Tanya?) take a BREAK? I had to grin.
    Man, this one was tough. When I was finished, my face and the rest of my body were 2 different colors.
    Like some of you, I did the push-ups on my knees. I can do "real" push-ups, but not at this speed. No way. I also had to pause a few times. I had no idea this workout contains no breaks and not knowing how much longer it is going to last I really struggled through the last past. I thought all the time "6 more minutes, I'm not going to survive that", forgetting that the cool down needs to be done too :)

I can see why Insanity can get addictive. I dread pushing "play" but after I'm done, I feel great.
  • aletadiana
    Options
    Of course, I always think I'm going to die during these workouts, then then when they are done I feel great. So of course I decided to go the extra mile and try Cardio Abs. It was really tough, but I don't regret it! My abs are going to be incredible, even if hidden beneath a protective layer of fluff. :P

OMG! You rockstar! There is NO way I could have tackled anything else....when I finished I was just lying on my yoga matt facedown!
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    Options
    Same here... I didn't even LOOK into that.
  • Pink_Cheek
    Pink_Cheek Posts: 92
    Options
    Glad to hear I am not the only one that modifies or struggles. I try to do most pushups regular, I just take them at my own pace, not nearly as quick as they do them.

Way to go everyone on your amazing workouts today.
  • aletadiana
    Options
    Having done yoga on and off for years I have always been told by instructors that modifications are sometimes necessary to avoid injury. Making sure to do the moves right...even though it makes us go a little slower is such a safer way of doing things.
    I may be saying stuff that every body already knows, but just to give you an idea of how many insanity related injuries there must be, when I went to see the doctor about my tendinitis I said I was doing a new "fitness routine" and he right off the bat guessed insanity. He said he sees a lot of people with injuries from doing too much too fast. Dig deeper, but not so deep you hurt yourself, right?? :)
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    well since I was a little backwards and did the pure cardio and cardio abs yesterday, it was my time for cardio recovery. Loved it and I actually bought a yogo DVD awhile back I'm going to start using more. Pure Cardio scared me because if the trainer is saying that they are nervous for the workout to come WTH am I gonna be like through it? I am sticking with the "do the best you can" aspect. I am pushing myself to my limit and I am seeing improvement in endurance and form but I don't pause to catch my breath that will come with time. Pure Cardio will probably be my nemesis DVD through month 1 but I am truly loving all the workouts. One more day and week one is DONE!
  • chasero
    chasero Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Day 5: Pure Cardio

Extreme Hell on Earth for me. I went into this video thinking "oh crap, no breaks?! What's everyone talkin' about?" Glad to find out there is a break, just before the halfway cool down; granted, the other videos so far have more breaks in between the workouts themselves. I was extremely proud of myself in the first half (before the cool down stretch). I was able to keep up to their pace, do all the exercises and everything. I do admit, I started to lag in the second half of the video (I blame the 1-2-3 Heismans from the first half). Fortunately, I had a friend who was "spotting" me while she was on the treadmill through Skype. [Insert loud bomb sound effect here] I was shot down with constructive criticism after the workout. was told my form sucked (I needed to bend and get more into squat positions instead of bending at the hips). Of course, she was a good spotter and would constantly tell me to lower my butt while I was struggling through it. Extremely important note here for those of you who are concerned, listen to Shaun T., "Don't Sacrifice Form;" slow down if you need to, hit the pause button so you can figure out the form and move on. If you continue to do bad form, you'll end up working the wrong muscle groups or even worse, injuring yourself. I don't want to invest myself in a program and end up getting kicked off of it because of an injury. So I made a mental note of that and took the criticism with an open mind from my spotter, even if I was a little disheartened.
    All in all, from her, I learned:
    * Lower my butt, therefor correcting my form
    * Keep my core tight (I forgot about this sometimes during the workout); This accomplishes 2 things, 1) it takes tension off your lower back and 2) it's also a secondary exercise for your abs "come on abs! come out!"
    * Keep my own pace; it's okay if we can't match up, it's only our first time, we have a whole month to catch up to the guys as much as we reasonably can before the new set of exercises kicks in during the second month.

I'm grateful I have a friend who is willing to spot me and help me out. I was so focused on pushing through, that I forgot about the core tightening and the form. I strongly recommend that you guys have a spotter if possible. Whether it be your significant other or a friend, or even within this group via video call (The hardest part of all this is finding someone who will be available at the times you work out). Kudos to all who completed Pure Cardio today (and those of y'all who are ahead or just joining us today).
  • rtgingrow
    rtgingrow Posts: 2
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what is everybody using to log in your diary? I have been putting it under Aerobics(high impact). Didn't know if anybody was using something else.
  • talenarenee
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what is everybody using to log in your diary? I have been putting it under Aerobics(high impact). Didn't know if anybody was using something else.

I wear a heart rate monitor that keeps track of my calories based upon my weight and HR. I input that because it's much more accurate for me.
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    Options
    I use "circuit training".