Runner turned yogi

Options
jamers3111
jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
Welp, it happened. After 15+ years of running I have been told to stop running (for now). WHAT?! You want me to WHAT?!

What I thought was piriformis pain (which I have been suffering through since January) turns out to be two bulding discs, L4/L5. I have no idea how this happened. The doc said it could have been from my intense training schedule combined with sitting at desk. I have two races coming up but I'm not going to risk it. The doc and my PT said NO RUNNING, NO elliptical, and NO lifting weights, so I shall listen because I want to be back out there on the road. I don't care if I have to take 3-6 months off as long as I know I can get back out there.

Running has been a big part of me for over half my life so it's hard being told it's bad for me. But I may have found a similar love...

I have turned to vinyasa (power) yoga to help strengthen my core/lower back. I have been doing yoga (Bikram and power) off and on since December 2011 and noticed an improvement in my running (pace went from 10min/mi to 8:50min/mi for 10K). Recently, though I have found the practive of vinyasa flow to be my new therapy and meditation. Every day I'm excited to see how my practice will improve or what new pose I will learn/conquer. I guess one can be both a runner and a yogi :tongue: .

Part of me is craving that cardio, I'm just curious if any of you have had similar experiences. What other workouts could/should I do during this time?

Namaste.

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Never had that problem, but can you bike, swim, or walk hills? You could always do that as your cardio.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Jammers. Hope the yoga helps. At the very least, it is always good to mix things up a bit. Is this a forever thing? Or, once things settle down, is your doctor going to give you a green light again for running?
  • jamers3111
    Options
    Never had that problem, but can you bike, swim, or walk hills? You could always do that as your cardio.

I can't walk hills and walking in general causes sharp pains in my left hip. Swimming and the recumbent bike are OK. I just hate both, but I guess I will have to suck it up. Sitting for 10+ minutes hurts, so that's the issue with the bike. Swimming... I'd have to get a gym membership. BUT I do live at the beach, so I could always swim on the calm ocean days :)
  • jamers3111
    Options
    Good luck, Jammers. Hope the yoga helps. At the very least, it is always good to mix things up a bit. Is this a forever thing? Or, once things settle down, is your doctor going to give you a green light again for running?

Thank you :) Luckily this is supposedly temporary. I won't get a green light for at least 6 weeks, but probably longer. My plan is to stick with yoga regardless. I just miss the road and it's only been like 2 weeks since my last run. haha
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure they recommend that you avoid stretching type poses, and do back-strengthening type poses, like bridge pose. But, you've probably already gotten better guidance than I can give.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I just had to say, yay for yoga & running! I picked up running recently for the first time ever in my life... I've been doing yoga for longer and I truly believe that I have been able to run this far (training for my first 1/2 marathon) without injuries and with good progress, thanks to yoga. I'm currently into Ashtanga and love my Power classes too. Whatever I do on the mat, it seems, improves my running and running definitely improves my yoga. It's a great combo:)

Hope you get your pain & injury sorted and recover soon:) I hear aqua running is pretty good for healing?
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Did the exact opposite - yogini first (for about 10 years) and then started running 2 years ago. I find them a perfect complement to each other. But - be careful! You can hurt yourself doing yoga as well. Listen to your body.