New to hypothyroidism

Options
Hi all - I was recently diagnosed as hypothyroid. My TSH was 4.3 with the normal range high of 4.2 (sorry I don't know the exact units, I just know I was just above the "normal"). 1.5 years ago my TSH was 4.1 and my doctor told me it was normal and didn't treat.

My symptoms have been tiredness and inability to lose weight, despite low carb diet and exercise. I have been sure for a long time that my hormones were out of balance but my regular doctor wouldn't do any testing since I'm not in menopause. I finally found a doctor who knows a lot about hormones and agreed to do a full hormone panel. She diagnosed hypothyroid and told me that she wants to see TSH at "1" and that she would have treated me at 4.1, unlike my regular doctor. She ruled out autoimmune since my antibodies were low.

I have started dessicated natural thyroid, 30mg per day. She will test me again in 2 months to see how I'm responding. She will actually test all my hormones again - she just wanted to start treating my thyroid first to see how that will affect other hormones. She also suspects adrenal fatigue so I am taking B complex, Vit. C and ashwaganda for adrenal support.

So far I've been having a bit of a hard time on the dessicated thyroid -mostly insomnia and a bit jittery. It's been 2.5 weeks since I started.

I would love to hear from others about whether I have only a "mild case" of hypothyroid? I don't seem to have a lot of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Is this something that can be "fixed" easily given that I don't have autoimmune disease and they hypo seems to have been brought on my a few stressful years which caused adrenal fatigue, leading to hypothyroidism?

I am a very motivated patient and am so happy to have found a doctor who not only understand hormones but is also a proponent of more natural healing!

Replies

• Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    My TSH was at 2.7 and like you, the doc said it should be at/around 1. I wouldn't say you have a mild case, the symptoms are different for everyone. Did she test you for adrenal fatigue or just went ahead and treated for it? Just curious. My adrenal test came up low (cortisol), so I am doing a med for that as well as my T3 (and the oodles of supplements). Many of the things I've read/heard state that adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism do tend to go hand in hand, so it's good you found someone who takes it seriously. The doc told me that until I started treating the adrenal prob, my body wouldn't be able to handle the T3. She was right. I felt worse until I started treatment for both.
    The "fixing" part will also depend on the person. There are ads coming out now that are good and bad. Good because thyroid problems are getting more light, but bad because they make you believe you can pop a pill and everything will be alright. Not to scare you, just to forewarn you, it might be a long road to get everything leveled out. You may have to do additional things that others don't or vice versa. Just be patient with it and keep that good attitude you seem to have so far.
    However, I would discuss the jitteriness with your doc. Changing the dosage up a bit might help you feel less wired.
    Good Luck!
  • FiftyEight58
    FiftyEight58 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I was diagnosed with multi-nodular goiter after an ultrasound last month and had to remove the right lobe and isthmus of my thyroid as the growths there were growing at an alarming rate. After the surgery, which happened 4 days ago, my surgeon informed me that they found no cancer but my auto-immune system had been attacking my thyroid, causing it to be inflamed and swell quickly. This is Hashimoto's thyroiditis and the assessment came as quite a surprise as peeps with Hashimoto's disease are supposed to be hypothyroid but my blood test pre-surgery was sub-clinical hyperthyroidism and my antibodies were In the normal range. How accurate are these blood thyroid level tests?!..

Anyway, with part of my thyroid gone now I'm likely to go hypo. My doctor has advised me that its not only about lesser calories intake. We'll have to take more frequent and smaller meals so as to keep energy levels up and each meal should consist of protein, fibre and (small portions of) whole meal carbs. The protein is important as it takes more calories to burn. We'll also have to exercise more than the average person in order to maintain/lose weight.

I don't think 4.2 is "mild" hypothyroidism either. Like syriene said the symptoms vary for different people. I was told that hypo is easier to treat than hyper. Treatment is synthetic thyroid hormones supplements versus radioactive iodine or surgery for hyper. It's a matter of finding a "sweet spot" in replacement levels so as to attain a good balance of hormones.

By the way Gigi, does your thyroid appear to be enlarged?
  • gigipatate
    gigipatate Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

Syriene - my dr. did test a.m. cortisol - it showed normal, but could have been a bit higher that day due to a bad night's sleep and a 1.5 hour wait at the lab. She just suggested vitamins C, Bcomplex, magnesium and ashwaganda for adrenal support.

I've been hoping for a quick fix, but I think I'm prepared to be patient. I'm actually already feeling much better - I have more energy and my house is cleaner, which is a good sign that I am feeling better. My carb cravings seem to be subsiding, so I'm hoping that I will start losing weight as well. I haven't tried tweaking my diet yet (I think I'll have to try low carb again) since I want to feel better before I try to lose weight. But I have noticed that the intense carb cravings I used to get in the evenings are much less or non-existant now. I already eat a healthy diet - mostly gluten-free, and protein at every meal and try to keep the carbs in check, although often eat too many carbs.

FiftyEight58 - My thyroid doesn't appear enlarged. Sorry to hear about having to go through surgery -I hope all goes well with you.
  • jigjag89
    jigjag89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism yesterday and have been started on 100 micrograms of levothyroxine and iron tablets.
    The doctor found it completely by accident whilst looking for the cause of a completely unrelated pain.

I cant see the doctor until next week to discuss it in more detail but until there is there anything I really need to know? Any tips?

From what I've gathered so far this is only the beginning of a very complicated condition!

Any help would be much appreciated!
  • ArtsyGeekette
    ArtsyGeekette Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism is an insidious disease that can be controlled through low carb, low sugar and cutting out artificial foods/beverages as much as possible. TSH Levels can be all over the place, even if you are feeling great or under the weather. As a Hashimoto's patient before going on Keto, my TSH was 11, constantly tired, sick, gaining weight rapidly and severe mental fog. Two months later, it is now 0.308. Even thought it is in range, I have my moments I feel a bit blah or "hyper" and want to do everything possible. LOL - I also started basic cardio through treadmill walking and at least a half hour of weight lifting, increasing my weight or reps to help reduce stress and a boost to my already sluggish metabolism. 9 weeks later, I am down 31lbs and going.

Try eliminating certain foods like Aspartame, Soy, Acesulfame K and High Fructose Corn Syrup or at least cut back and see how you feel. For me, I felt much better cutting them completely out. Sure, I miss out on some mainstream items but I believe that's what exacerbated my condition in the first place. Trying to live the same lifestyle before and expecting to be okay. I find or make alternatives to old items I liked. I no longer crave junk food as it makes me ill.

Granted, going Keto, Paleo or Low Carb is no substitute for taking medicine. If you feel Synthroid isn't working or you feel ill on it, talk to your Endocrinologist and ask for the generic Levothyroxine or Armour. We're all different, even it if is the same affliction we share. Each of us need to find things that work for us and what doesn't work to help maintain healthy lives.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I was diagnosed with multi-nodular goiter after an ultrasound last month and had to remove the right lobe and isthmus of my thyroid as the growths there were growing at an alarming rate. After the surgery, which happened 4 days ago, my surgeon informed me that they found no cancer but my auto-immune system had been attacking my thyroid, causing it to be inflamed and swell quickly. This is Hashimoto's thyroiditis and the assessment came as quite a surprise as peeps with Hashimoto's disease are supposed to be hypothyroid but my blood test pre-surgery was sub-clinical hyperthyroidism and my antibodies were In the normal range. How accurate are these blood thyroid level tests?!..

Anyway, with part of my thyroid gone now I'm likely to go hypo. My doctor has advised me that its not only about lesser calories intake. We'll have to take more frequent and smaller meals so as to keep energy levels up and each meal should consist of protein, fibre and (small portions of) whole meal carbs. The protein is important as it takes more calories to burn. We'll also have to exercise more than the average person in order to maintain/lose weight.
    How accurate are blood test levels? I've never heard of them being inaccurate, it may also depend on what they are testing. IE are they testing TSH3 and TSH4? there's some factors to look for than just the TSH3 that my original Endocrin looked at (even my gen pract Dr gave me better bloodtest, bah).
    Woohoo, I also had multi-nodual goiters, they took all my thyroid out with them (they were huuuuge), no hashi's that we found (or cancer). I find the lesser calories/frequent meals mention to be interesting. Maybe other peeps can chime in if they've been told that, but I never have been (and I've always been overweight) told that before, and I personally don't need extra meals unless I'm actually hungry. The weight loss... It can be (but doesn't mean it will be for everyone) more difficult to lose weight, mostly because it's slower loss, and it can be impacted by your TSH levels (they are hormones after all). We are all like snowflakes, so who knows how your journey will be. Healthy foods, healthy exercise.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options

How accurate are blood test levels? I've never heard of them being inaccurate, it may also depend on what they are testing. IE are they testing TSH3 and TSH4? there's some factors to look for than just the TSH3 that my original Endocrin looked at (even my gen pract Dr gave me better bloodtest, bah).
    Woohoo, I also had multi-nodual goiters, they took all my thyroid out with them (they were huuuuge), no hashi's that we found (or cancer). I find the lesser calories/frequent meals mention to be interesting. Maybe other peeps can chime in if they've been told that, but I never have been (and I've always been overweight) told that before, and I personally don't need extra meals unless I'm actually hungry. The weight loss... It can be (but doesn't mean it will be for everyone) more difficult to lose weight, mostly because it's slower loss, and it can be impacted by your TSH levels (they are hormones after all). We are all like snowflakes, so who knows how your journey will be. Healthy foods, healthy exercise.

The frequent meal plan was mentioned to me in the past as a way of maintaining my blood sugar levels. However, since I switched to a paleo diet, my hypoglycemia symptoms are gone. I eat a small morning or afternoon snack when need be, but that's about it.
  • wizwitch
    wizwitch Posts: 82
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism yesterday and have been started on 100 micrograms of levothyroxine and iron tablets.
    The doctor found it completely by accident whilst looking for the cause of a completely unrelated pain.

I cant see the doctor until next week to discuss it in more detail but until there is there anything I really need to know? Any tips?

From what I've gathered so far this is only the beginning of a very complicated condition!

Geez - They started you off at 100 mcg, did you get a headache? I was started off at 12.5 doubling every couple of weeks and when I took to pills to close together because I forgot and ended up with a headache I still haven't forgotten and it's been 12 years. Hope your doing OK.
  • jigjag89
    jigjag89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Geez - They started you off at 100 mcg, did you get a headache? I was started off at 12.5 doubling every couple of weeks and when I took to pills to close together because I forgot and ended up with a headache I still haven't forgotten and it's been 12 years. Hope your doing OK.

Im really glad you said that! Yes I had an awful headache that lasted about 6 days altogether! But it has finally gone. Still feeling really tired but I know it takes a while for the meds to really work.

The doctor said my levels were what they would consider dangerous, so I was very lucky they decided to do that blood test!