I hit my goal --- now what?

Options
MaggyMaizy2
MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
Hooray!! I hit my goal today. (I'm 5'9" and 150 pounds; RNY bypass surgery August 7, 2012.) So, what does that mean regarding calories? My weight loss doctor is of no help whatsoever. All he told me was to make sure I get my protein in. My family doctor thinks I've lost too much, but she defers to my surgeon.

I am terrified of increasing my calories and gaining weight. I've been consuming about 1400 calories a day and I've lost 6.5 pounds since April 14. I walk several days a week, but that's the extent of my exercise. I do not eat back burned calories.

Any suggestions on what to do next? How many calories do others who have reached goal eat? Will increasing calories stretch my stomach?

Thanks for your input!

Maggy:smile:

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I'm not at goal, but just 11 pounds away, so I have already increased my calories a little, on the advice of my doctor and nutritionist at an appointment a week ago. The plan is to increase again when I hit goal, and see if my weight stabilizes. I think you might just need to hunt and peck. If you start to go up, you can always go back down a little. That's the beauty of logging closely, you always know where you are, and how to get where you're going.

Oh. Congratulations!!!!!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know how many calories everyone eats each day, as I am 20 lbs away from goal and my weight loss stopped three months ago. I am 7 months out. I have made no progress weight wise or inches, etc. since February. My surgeon tries to tell me that I may be at "set point" weight and I don't buy it, because at age 30 I was 30 pounds thinner than I am now, 14 years later. Anyone dealt with a stall for this long when they are still following their diet really well?
  • HRHCaragh
    HRHCaragh Posts: 39
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!!
  • TheMobileMom
    TheMobileMom Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Maggy -

Congratulations on reaching your goal! That is amazing and wonderful. You might consider changing your diet a bit, adding a little more fat or carbs into the mix without increasing the calories. I know that when I was stalled, it was suggested that I lower my carbs and that made a big difference. Hope that helps!:bigsmile:
  • MaggyMaizy2
    Options
    Thanks for all the great input!
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I'd love to know how many calories everyone eats each day, as I am 20 lbs away from goal and my weight loss stopped three months ago. I am 7 months out. I have made no progress weight wise or inches, etc. since February. My surgeon tries to tell me that I may be at "set point" weight and I don't buy it, because at age 30 I was 30 pounds thinner than I am now, 14 years later. Anyone dealt with a stall for this long when they are still following their diet really well?

Bump your calories 100-200 calories a day for several days and switch up your exercise routine just a bit. Sounds crazy, but I'm willing to bet it will jumpstart your weight loss again.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Hooray!! I hit my goal today. (I'm 5'9" and 150 pounds; RNY bypass surgery August 7, 2012.) So, what does that mean regarding calories? My weight loss doctor is of no help whatsoever. All he told me was to make sure I get my protein in. My family doctor thinks I've lost too much, but she defers to my surgeon.

I am terrified of increasing my calories and gaining weight. I've been consuming about 1400 calories a day and I've lost 6.5 pounds since April 14. I walk several days a week, but that's the extent of my exercise. I do not eat back burned calories.

Any suggestions on what to do next? How many calories do others who have reached goal eat? Will increasing calories stretch my stomach?

Thanks for your input!

Continue to exercise, but bump your calories up a couple hundred calories a week until you stabilize. Check out the calculator on fat2fit website and it will tell you what you need to maintain.

My surgeon's recommendation is 1,200 calories a day for maintenance, but that is simply not logical for my activity level. I eat 1,600-1,800 calories a day and am still losing, 5 pounds to my goal.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Congrat on making your goal! That is great! I am sorry your WLS dr isn't much help. Does your program have a nutrionist that you could ask? I hit my personal goal of 130 and eat around 1200-1400 cals a day. I exercise daily by walking and some strength training at home M-F and then hit the gym 3-4 times a week too for about 1 1/2 hours of cardio and strength training weight machines. My nut told me to be at 1400 for maintence now and if I do exercise alot to possible eat more than 1400 cal a day. To get 125 grams of carbs a day, 80-100 grams of protein. I am only 5"4' so 150 at 5'9" does seem kinda thin.
    I don't increasing your cals will stretch your stomach since we can only hold so much. I had sleeve. Do you eat three meals a day and 2 snacks? If not you should and increase the cals that way. If you do, maybe add an evening snack in too now to increase your cals. Make sure it is a high quality food you are increasing you cals with and not junky type food. I am guilty of doing that though on some days!
    Congrats again, you are doing great!

Thanks for your input!

• ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    First things first - congrats on hitting your goal!! I am 5'10" and I am around 157+/- . My nut has me on 1800 cals a day because of my activity level. I eat 200-300 cals every 2-3 hours in order to get it in. It scared me to death to eat that much in the beginning but I have maintained my weight eating that amount. Now I am working on losing body fat and gaining muscle. I too get told I am too thin by my friends and family but I don't see it but I feel great and that's what's most important!! Good luck to you on your maintenance.
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am going to a nutrition class designed for 6 months and beyond. I am over a year out and still fear every carb I consume. I know it is all mental.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    CONGRATZ by the way....

I would set it at matenance level set my mfp and try to eat some of your cals back or cut down on the exersice depending on how much you do,and just weigh every 2 weeks to keep an eye on it x

and don't forget the protein! lol
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading this correctly you aren't 12 months out yet. Right now your body is still trying to stablize. Don't get too caught up in the small things. Keep concentrating on the good habits you have learned, just to instill them even further.

I'm almost 3 years out. I read everything, talk to all people, and what I keep hearing is, in order to be successful for life, they exercise regularly and eat as clean as possible. The exercise is the most important. I'm finding in my experience it's true. I still eat as clean as possible, no more than one cup at each meal, water, protein, etc. I eat around 1600 to 1800 calories a day, but I don't watch that as much as making sure I get my exercise in.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    Options
    If I'm reading this correctly you aren't 12 months out yet. Right now your body is still trying to stablize. Don't get too caught up in the small things. Keep concentrating on the good habits you have learned, just to instill them even further.

I'm almost 3 years out. I read everything, talk to all people, and what I keep hearing is, in order to be successful for life, they exercise regularly and eat as clean as possible. The exercise is the most important. I'm finding in my experience it's true. I still eat as clean as possible, no more than one cup at each meal, water, protein, etc. I eat around 1600 to 1800 calories a day, but I don't watch that as much as making sure I get my exercise in.

You're right - I'm just over 9 months post op. I saw my nut on Thursday. She told me to up my calories to 1600, add weights to my exercise routine (right now I just walk), and weigh myself once a week. If I continue to lose, up the calories, 100 at a time. She stressed protein (not protein bars) and told me to cut back on carbs such as pretzels.

This is new territory for me. I haven't weighed this little since I was in fifth grade!

Thank you, MFP Friends, for all the great advice! :smile: