Help! I can't do prone jackknife

Options
jkbear40
jkbear40 Posts: 37 Member
Today is the first day of NROL4W for me. I had no problems doing the other exercises. I had to modify the push ups to do them though. I cannot do the prone jackknife moves. I struggle to keep my balance on the ball. Very frustrating!! What can I do??

Replies

• Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    try keeping your feet wider apart on top of the ball, it helps stabilize it until you're strong enough to keep your feet closer together.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i just started last week and i had trouble with this one too! a lot of the ladies in this group encouraged me to do my best, keep trying, and get back on that ball. i was discouraged because i didn't look like the lady in the picture, with her butt up in the air. everyone said that it takes practice and that you'll get better as you go on! i am ready to tackle it next time i go! you can do it too!
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I let a little air out of my ball so it doesn't run away from me.
  • ShaunaMcMac
    ShaunaMcMac Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Today is the first day of NROL4W for me. I had no problems doing the other exercises. I had to modify the push ups to do them though. I cannot do the prone jackknife moves. I struggle to keep my balance on the ball. Very frustrating!! What can I do??

Me too jkbear40, me too.
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    keep trying... it gets easier. I start that exercise by rolling my body over the ball and then slowly moving forward until I am in position. I still tip now & then
  • jkbear40
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the ideas. I don't have to worry about it til Friday. I know I will keep trying but it was quite frustrating. It looks so easy in the book. I just have to keep working on it. ;)
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I did my first workout last night and came to look for tips on the jackknife as well. I almost face-planted into the floor lol. I'll keep at it, but I'm sure it was something entertaining to watch!
  • lodicox7
    lodicox7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat fortunate (I guess?) with this exercise because it's very similar to activities I did while doing several months of PT recently for my lower back, so it's come pretty easily for me. The best advice I can give is to focus solely on keeping your core tight and bringing your knees into your chest. Make sure to keep looking down, and don't worry about rolling up onto your toes. Just roll to the tops of your feet (this will make more sense when you do the exercise). You'll feel your core muscles working the hardest when you stretch back out into push up position.

I felt like the book's description over complicated the exercise a little bit. Just start in push up position and bring your knees into your chest. The rest will take care of itself. Hopefully that helps! :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Is a larger ball harder or easier for the prone jack knife?
  • catolerico
    catolerico Posts: 25
    Options
    I was struggling with this move to. The other day I happened to put my hands on the bench I was using for my step ups and it really helped. I was able to roll the ball further up and definitely felt it in my abs more than I have the other few times I've done it. Wondering if it might be like push ups where you work your way up to the full version.
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Is a larger ball harder or easier for the prone jack knife?

I use the smaller ball - the ones at our gym have the height they are designed for written on them so I use the one for my range.

Keep it up jkbear - you can do it. It was pretty embarrassing for me too. I actually ended up taking the ball and hiding in one of the empty classrooms until I got it, lol.
  • jkbear40
    Options
    I have a Reebok weighted ball. I bought the medium size since my husband and I share. I am only 5'4''. I am going to try my hardest. I got frustrated and that didn't help. I think I am going to slow the move down and work on form Friday. I did forget to take off my work out gloves when I first started. That would have been wonderful face plant on a laminate floor!!
  • mylittletribe
    Options
    These are my favorite exercise in Stage 1. I thought they'd be fiddly, and I maybe wobbled once or twice, but I found them much easier than I anticipated.

The advice already given is spot on. Concentrate on your core, roll on to the ball, use a nearby bench if necessary. Once you get going with them, it's hard to stop at just 8.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat fortunate (I guess?) with this exercise because it's very similar to activities I did while doing several months of PT recently for my lower back, so it's come pretty easily for me. The best advice I can give is to focus solely on keeping your core tight and bringing your knees into your chest. Make sure to keep looking down, and don't worry about rolling up onto your toes. Just roll to the tops of your feet (this will make more sense when you do the exercise). You'll feel your core muscles working the hardest when you stretch back out into push up position.

I felt like the book's description over complicated the exercise a little bit. Just start in push up position and bring your knees into your chest. The rest will take care of itself. Hopefully that helps! :)

I think you need to push back with your arms some too.
  • jkbear40
    Options
    I was able to do them yesterday. Stage 1 workout 3. My husband was home and helped me keep my feet on the ball. I actually did 15 the first time!! I forgot it was only 8. Second set I did 9. Definitely easier the second time around.
  • adream213
    adream213 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I found this video on youtube. Glad he showed me easier ways to get on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe0kTx2wDoQ
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I found this video on youtube. Glad he showed me easier ways to get on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe0kTx2wDoQ

That's great! I hadn't thought of rolling along it! Thanks for the link :flowerforyou:
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My balance is horrible too. I kept falling at first. I adjusted and put the ball closer to my knees. My ball is half flat too (thanks to a stink bug in my pump). I don't think this hurts and i'll try and improve as I go. My abs still were/are sore after working out.

Good Luck!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I don't actually do any of the ab exercises in NROL4W. I substitute them with planks and plank modifications because that is what is recommended in NROL for Abs. I also find the planks are a better workout for me :)
  • Sporks42
    Sporks42 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just started NROLFW a week or so ago, the first time I did the prone jackknife (or tried to) I could barely get on the ball without wobbling, and when I was on, my back arched in and I had to get off to prevent hurting my back! Today is an off day for me, and I tried at home with my own ball. I haven't gotten that much stronger over the last week or so, and I had no problem doing all the reps.

In summary, I struggled with this move, and doing it on it's own worked really well for me. By the time I got to it during my workout my body was too tired to hold me up. I will continue to substitute crunches for this exercise at the gym, and do them on their own in the privacy of my house!