How to eat primal

Options
I have just started paleo from what I read it seemed a good idea, however, I am a little worried about the lack of dairy in the diet. I hear you can have dairy if you go primal, I was wondering how many carbs you should have a day for weight loss. I also heard that you can have potato and cassava and plantains is this true, if so how much are you allowed in a week and can you have butter. I do not have the book and I just want a little info please:wink: thanks so much!

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Here is a good place to start: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/about-2/mark-sisson/#axzz2TByzPD30

Yes, you can have those things as a part of a primal diet and the answer to how much really depends on how your body copes with them (everybody is different). I don't eat any starches and (after a bloating session last night, will be cutting back on my dairy). There are quite a few free online sources, but in the end, you have to use trial and error to see what works for you.
  • sparkieamberjack
    Options
    Thank you so much, I am very excited to try this diet it sounds so good. Wish mw luck
  • sparkieamberjack
    Options
    Thank you so much, I am very excited to try this diet it sounds so good. Wish me luck
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    Agreed! It's different for everyone, you have to spend some time with guess-and-check and go from there. A little patience will pay off!

I eat about 90-100g of safe starches a day, but I know a lot of people eat less than that. It's all about what you think will work for you.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have just started paleo from what I read it seemed a good idea, however, I am a little worried about the lack of dairy in the diet. I hear you can have dairy if you go primal, I was wondering how many carbs you should have a day for weight loss. I also heard that you can have potato and cassava and plantains is this true, if so how much are you allowed in a week and can you have butter. I do not have the book and I just want a little info please:wink: thanks so much!

What are you worried about with the lack of dairy?

As others have said, check out Mark Sisson's works. Specifically, check out his stuff on the "Carbohydrate Curve" ( http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz2TC5QjZZo ). Generally speaking, if you're looking to lose weight, go easy on the fruits (particularly the high sugar stuff; stick to berries) and keep your carbs down below 100g.

And yes, you can have butter. Ghee, clarified butter, and gress-fed (namely, Kerrygold) are the recommended types of butter.

White potatoes are generally frowned upon, due to the fact that it's a lot of carbs for the nutrients it provides (basically, not bad, per se, but can easily be counterproductive if you're trying to lose weight), but sweet potatoes are "allowed" if they fit into your carb goals and fuel needs (ie - if you're sedentary, you're better of staying away from the whole lot, but if you're an athlete, go for it).
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm keto primal. I have full fat cream, butter and cheese. However, I don't consume dairy because I think it is healthy, but because I love it. I do plan to eventually eliminate most dairy, but I'm not quite there yet. Personally, I don't think there is anything healthful in commercially produced, pasteurized, "fortified" dairy. Calcium exists in other foods naturally, and in more bioavailable forms. Additionally, when eating a healthy diet based on animals and getting adequate vitamins and minerals naturally, calcium is not required in huge amounts. A grain-based diet actually depletes calcium in the body so without the grains, calcium levels are more likely to be adequate.

Edit: I have metabolic issues (excess fat storage is a metabolic issue!) so I keep my carb intake extremely low. I just feel better by not eating many carbs. However, not everyone must eat like that, do what works for you, but if you struggle with hunger, have persistent health problems, or weight loss is resistant, carbs may matter. No matter what, your largest macro percentage should be healthy fats (yes, natural saturated fats are healthy).
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    What are you worried about with the lack of dairy?

This. If you're worried about less calcium, then read here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/calcium-for-women/#axzz2TCCZMFko

Basically, SAD diet is pushing more calcium, rather than eliminating the source/reason why the body can't absorb the calcium you're getting: grains. Same goes for iron, though I don't have link for that, I read it in Dr. Mike Eades' Protein Power book (which can also fit a primal diet). But basically, same idea.
  • sparkieamberjack
    Options
    Thank you all for the great:smile: tips