Egg Whites

Options
Can anyone out there help me? My coach has me on egg whites in the morning (no surprise) but I HATE the way they taste. I know what you may say "suck it up" BUT does anyone have any ideas on making this better? How do you eat your egg whites? What makes it easy? Right now I am cooking them up and eating with a small amount of healthy salsa but it is almost unbearable for me. I can have them with veggies. What has worked for others? Some aspects of contest prep are really hard- this is definitely hard for me LOL Is there any product out there that you know of that is better? Anything you do to make it easier to eat egg whites?

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I find they taste better when I cook them in coconut oil versus other oils. Not sure if that fits in your macros...
    Also can you add salt & pepper?
  • mandyspark
    Options
    No salt- pepper would be fine. I will use coconut oil and adjust fats throughout the day if he ok's it. I know he said adding peppers or hot sauce is fine..... maybe if it is spicy enough I won't notice the whites lol I'm dreading the day I have to take egg whites on the go....... eating them cold sounds even WORSE! Do other people add water to make their's fluffier? I have seen pics of other girls and their's look A LOT whiter and fluffier than mine. As for the oatmeal, I used to be able to but I am cutting this week and its not on the plan :(
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I guess I like egg whites so I had no trouble eating them cold. As for fluffier - water will make them fluff a bit, but if you just need to get them down wouldn't you want as little volume as possible?
  • AbbyMomof2
    AbbyMomof2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat egg whites/oats/strawberries or blueberries mixed together microwave for 3min every morning.
  • mandyspark
    Options
    You're right- maybe I am going down the wrong path by trying to add "fluff" hahahaha Ive never been a huge egg fan. I may try boiling some tonight and eating them that way tomorrow without the yolks.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love plain egg whites. I went from eating 13 a day to none right now in prep... so sad :( ANYWHO, you could mix them with oatmeal like others suggested. Hot sauce makes them taste good, too.
  • ardavis23
    ardavis23 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I agree with the oatmeal pancakes, they are really delish if you dont want to taste the egg whites. I LOVE egg wehites so I dont really have that problem. I find myself eating eggs for breakfast and dinner if I am coming home late, I just mix them with zucchini!
  • mandyspark
    Options
    Hopefully with time I will get used to it :)
  • ShortzMcD
    ShortzMcD Posts: 2
    Options
    I have no problem with egg whites, but came up with a little treat the other week -

Cooked egg whites with cinnamon & sugar free maple syrup!

I drool at this combo...
  • brazilnut05
    brazilnut05 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This might sound a little crazy, but I've started adding a pinch of garlic powder to my eggs and I will NEVER go back! Its amazing what a difference it makes in taste. Try it. You'll like it.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I tried Mrs. Dash (no salt) tomato basil seasoning on mine this morning, and it tasted good! Although I get one egg and 2 egg whites with oats in the morning. The yolk has vitamin D :-)
  • brazilnut05
    brazilnut05 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I tried Mrs. Dash (no salt) tomato basil seasoning on mine this morning, and it tasted good! Although I get one egg and 2 egg whites with oats in the morning. The yolk has vitamin D :-)

I saw that in your diary and decided to give the egg whites mixed with 1 regular egg a try. It was awesome! Yesterday I made an omlette with spicy sprouts, sauteed spinach and 1 slice of swiss cheese. And of course garlic powder and pepper for seasoning. :happy: I'll have to get on this Mrs. Dash bandwagon next.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I love omlettes. Mushroom, spinach, and swiss is a good combo.

As far as Mrs. Dash, I love to put the Fiesta Lime on white fish, the Caribbean Citrus on sweet potatoes, and I'll season my chicken with Garlic & Herb, Onion & Herb, or the Table Blend. The only one I have trouble with is the Lemon Pepper. I think it has too much pepper and not enough lemon. My opinion though.
  • TrueBodyCoach
    Options
    My breakfast contains 4 hard boiled egg whites with a packet of plain tuna mixed in it, along with oatmeal mixed with protein powder. Tastes delicious to me and DAMN that's a whole lot of protein to start my day! ;)
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i love egg whites!! i honestly cannot understand why anyone would ever prep with a food they hate? there are plenty of suitable substitutions and any decent coach should adjust that for you without you having to suffer.
  • Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you like spicy foods try adding a tad bit of red pepper... if you like sweeter add a pinch of cinnamen... sounds weird, but I tried both ways, just to test it out and it wasn't too bad.
    Good luck!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hopefully with time I will get used to it :)

I was in the same boat. Didn't matter what I did. I eventually got used to them.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil spray, 1 mushroom, some spinach, ground black pepper and a little bit of Nu Salt subsitute.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I use Kroger fresh garden salsa to add flavor without the sodium.
  • mandyspark
    mandyspark Posts: 20
    Options
    This is all great advice- thank you so much :) I know there ARE other options I just want to stick to what my coach says 100% I suppose I could have asked for a substitute but I thought I would give it a shot