Newly diagnosed and metformin

Options
Hi there - I am newly diagnosed and my doctor prescribed 500 mg metformin daily. For some reason I have a serious mental block about taking it. I am really not happy about the idea of nausea and other related side effects. Is this common? Is my dose high enough to cause those? I work FT and have two little ones to run after, so I'm hoping to not have a huge bump in the road when I start taking it. THanks!

Replies

• forkeeps251
    forkeeps251 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't have Type 2 diabetes, but I saw your post and thought I ought to respond since I just started on Metformin as well. I'm taking it for fertility/PCOS issues. My doctor advised me to start at 500 mg, and do that for a week, then up it by another 500 on the second week and again on the third... and holding it at 1500 mg.

I started last Friday, and here is what I did: I started on a Friday evening so that most of my side effects would hopefully fall over the weekend, when I wasn't at work. I also took it right after dinner, so I had just eaten.

Right after I took it, I felt fine. I didn't experience any side effects until Saturday, which came about the middle of the day and wasn't really that bad... TMI just more like an urgent need to use the restroom. I had a couple more bouts of that and a little bit of nausea last night (basically, just wanted to lay down and do nothing, and that kept it in check). Also, you can take Immodium if you need to but I found it wasn't necessary for me.

Today however, I feel fine. Great, actually... I feel better than I normally do. Absolutely no stomach issues (I just ate lunch, so watch them start now!). But I would recommend starting it right before a day or two off in your schedule. I also have to kids and at no time did I feel it took away from me taking care of them.

Everyone is different though, so good luck!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    The side effects are all gastro related and usually abate within a week. I did find them to be an annoyance, but not debilitating. You can lessen the effects by taking with food or by asking for the extended release (XR) version. Ramping up the dosage slowly also helps, but 500 mg is typically the smallest doage and I don't know if it is possible to split that.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was on metformin during my pregnancy and started with 500mg and gradually increasing to 2000 mg daily. I did not experience any side effects at all.
  • cowonderwoman
    Options
    Thanks so much - that makes me feel way better. I may hold off until the weekend. :)
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I had a few issues at first - but that was when I forgot to take it at the beginning of the meal the first few times. After that I made sure to take at the beginning and after about 2 weeks didn't have any more issues - even when i was increased a month later.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When I was on them I had no issues, I was also on the slow realise I was on 500x2 after dinner at night for 3 months then gradually went back down to 500 a day now I'm on diet and exercise alone... I have read that some do have these issues... Good luck...
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm newly diagnosed and have been on Metformin for 5 days, 1x per day. I will be increasing to 2x per day this Wednesday. I take it with a meal, and eat 6 small meals a day. I've experienced a bit of stomach upset, but it was quickly eased by eating something. I'm hopeful I get the same results when I increase the dosage.
    Good luck!
    Margaret
  • erinmieskowski
    erinmieskowski Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I honestly still have issues with it if I don't take it AFTER I eat something. I'm on 500mg 2x daily and have been there for about a month, so definitely ease yourself into it and take it consistently.