Primal Stuff- products we love!

Options
2»

Replies

• Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just found pure unrefined coconut oil in a spray can ( I know, not enviro friendly) for cooking this stuff is awesome! I just made paleo baked chicken wings the other night and this stuff sprayed liberally on the pans helped them lift off! Find at Whole Foods near the oils!

I like the spray coconut oil too--I've been using it to coat the inside of muffin pans & even the silicone muffin liners to keep anything extra eggy from becoming a sticky mess.

Also love: individual serving packets of wholly guacamole. Homemade is better, of course, but you can't beat the convenience of the cute little packets. I use it instead of salad dressing on a workday lunch pretty regularly, and I like it paired with sliced red bell peppers for a portable snack.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Lara bars fo' sho'!!!!! ALSO- I just found pure unrefined coconut oil in a spray can ( I know, not enviro friendly) for cooking this stuff is awesome! I just made paleo baked chicken wings the other night and this stuff sprayed liberally on the pans helped them lift off! Find at Whole Foods near the oils!

Trader Joe's has spray coconut oil as well. I didn't look too closely at it, but given that their jarred coconut oil is cold-pressed, organic, unrefined, I assume the spray stuff is, too.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You didn't specify, so I'll go non-foot. I love my Five Fingers shoes. I don't run in them yet, but I use them on the elliptical and for walking and they are ideal for doing compound weight movements like squats, deadlifts, etc (LIFT HEAVY THINGS) since you have a much more stable platform from which to drive the weight.

If you look at old-school photographs of Arnold and Franco Columbo, they lift barefoot. Five Fingers is the next best thing.
  • jenfitz
    jenfitz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You didn't specify, so I'll go non-foot. I love my Five Fingers shoes. I don't run in them yet, but I use them on the elliptical and for walking and they are ideal for doing compound weight movements like squats, deadlifts, etc (LIFT HEAVY THINGS) since you have a much more stable platform from which to drive the weight.

If you look at old-school photographs of Arnold and Franco Columbo, they lift barefoot. Five Fingers is the next best thing.

I use a low profile shoe... not sure if I could do the finger toes (or barefoot) I'd be too afraid of dropping something heavy on my foot!!
    I hear they're awesome though...
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

I use a low profile shoe... not sure if I could do the finger toes (or barefoot) I'd be too afraid of dropping something heavy on my foot!!

The consequences of dropping something on your foot isn't really any different than the consequences of dropping something on your foot in just about any other typical footwear (ie - not steel-toed shoes), really. You drop a 45lb barbell plate on your foot is still going to hurt like hell regardless of if you're wearing Vibrams, Chucks, or what your parents gave you. :)
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    So many great things out there! Here are a few of my fav's:
    - Lets do organic coconut flour
    - Great Lakes Gelatin
    - Manitoba harvest Hemp pro 70
    - Nuts to you organic pumpkin seed butter
    - Anything kale chips...yumm
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

I have two pair of Merrells and they work great, too. I originally planned to go with VFFs but liked the idea of a normal looking shoe better. I'm not vain, you see (well ok, I am somewhat... aren't we all?). I'm just very introverted and anti-social and I know that wearing VFFs would cause people to comment on, and/or ask about, my strange footwear. Merrells look pretty normal so it avoids such unpleasant social interaction.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

I have two pair of Merrells and they work great, too. I originally planned to go with VFFs but liked the idea of a normal looking shoe better. I'm not vain, you see (well ok, I am somewhat... aren't we all?). I'm just very introverted and anti-social and I know that wearing VFFs would cause people to comment on, and/or ask about, my strange footwear. Merrells look pretty normal so it avoids such unpleasant social interaction.

Random tidbit - the lower-contrast VFFs (such as the models with black/charcoal and black options) seem to be less noticeable to others. I get more reactions with my gray/lime Bikilas than I ever did with my black/charcoal TrekSports. It wouldn't surprise me if the ones that look more like tennis shoes, particularly the ones with designs that draw the eye away from the toes, would do the same (not prompt as much of a reaction).
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

Random tidbit - the lower-contrast VFFs (such as the models with black/charcoal and black options) seem to be less noticeable to others. I get more reactions with my gray/lime Bikilas than I ever did with my black/charcoal TrekSports. It wouldn't surprise me if the ones that look more like tennis shoes, particularly the ones with designs that draw the eye away from the toes, would do the same (not prompt as much of a reaction).

I have a pair of VFFs, but I don't wear them any more due to the fact that after I wear them a couple times, they STINK. Also, I got a pair of all black Merrell Pace Gloves that I can get away with at work (in a more business-casual environment), and wear socks with them so they don't get as stinky. :blushing:

Most recently, I got a pair of Vivobarefoots that are for trail-running. I like them over the Merrells, due to the extra treads on the bottom put me higher on the ground, and less likely to have a wet foot in rain puddles (since they are all I wear, besides cleats). :) But if there is a situation where I need a more neutral-looking shoe, I go back to the Merrells (the Vivos are funkier-looking).
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

After a few years of having people stomp on my foot in cleats (OUCH!!! One time I had a completely black toenail that took a good 9 months to grow out and look normal again), dropping a 10lb plate on them was nothing! lol