Linking MFP and Bodymedia NEED HELP!

Options
tigerblue
tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
I just got my Bodymedia link this weekend and I am loving all the information. I'm still a little scared to trust it, but I'm ready to take the leap of faith! It seems that I've been slightly overestimating my workout burns, but vastly underestimating my everyday movement burn. Today just my regular stuff at work and home added up to over two hours of moderate activity!

So now here is where I need help. I have linked my MFP account to the Bodymedia activity manager. How do I set my MFP goals now? Does it automatically send over the calories that are in excess of my estimated BMR? It has sent nearly 900 calories to my account today. I have MFP set for lightly active/lose one pound a week. I am aiming for at least 250 deficit on Bodymedia, but hoping to be closer to 500 most days. Do the systems automatically work to "agree"? I'm so confused. Right now I am just looking at the Bodymedia and trying to keep the deficit between 250 and 500. But it's hard to estimate the total burn for the day. Probably as I learn my body and patterns I'll better predict but right now it's a little tricky!

I'm sure hoping the burn is accurate! If so, I'll be able to REALLY EAT when I finish losing. (I'm within 10 lbs.)!!! This is good news for the rest of my life.

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Just wear it for a week or so and then worry about your goals. It will have to get used to you, then the numbers will make more sense. And yes, the excess activity just gives you more calories to eat on MFP. Oh, and don't trust the estimate that BMF gives you early in the day of what you will burn the rest of the day. You will learn what these numbers really are. I know exactly what I have to burn by the time I get home from work to reach my goal for the day now. For now, go with the calories MFP gives you (well, maybe a little more--I'm maintaining at a level MFP says should cause me to gain a pound a week!) and just see what your daily activity really is. Once you have a normal week or two to work with, then you can get serious about setting goals.
  • dmw45
    dmw45 Posts: 73
    Options
    Ive had mine a few months and I totally trust it! Ive been leaving a 1,000 calorie deficit most days and losing weight without starving. 1200 calories is not enough food for me and I will starve and go off it and binge eat. The BMF not only shows me right where I'm at all the time, but i can exercise more if i want to eat more, and on those rare days I don't get it right, it starts fresh at midnight. No diets have ever worked for me but this does! Plus I like to see the graphs I make when I'm out being active :) I bet it'll work for you too!