hair loss, what is normal?

Options
I've been noticing more and more lately that when I run my hands through my hair in the shower, that there seems to be hair all through my fingers....and then when I blow dry my hair after, there is hair all over my bathroom floor.

I have Graves disease and had a total thyroidectomy in April '12. I've been hypo up until January when my levels came good. My last blood test was pretty spot on but my T4 was slightly higher than the previous blood test. I never experienced hair loss when I was hypo before (that I know of) so what is a normal amount of hair loss for someone with hypothyroidism?

I'm also experiencing a few other mild hypo symptoms - cold feet, my heart feels like it's skipping a beat which happens about 10 times a day, painless muscle twitches probably 1 every few mins....

I don't remember having overly cold feet when I was hypo before but I was at my worst over the warmer months so maybe I just didn't notice it so much. And I had worse heart palpitations before, but I've never experienced the hair loss and muscle twitches....

Replies

• SusanHeinous
    Options
    Hair loss was the first symptom I took any real notice of when diagnosed with Hashimoto's 24 years ago after the birth of my first daughter. I thought the general exhaustion was a symptom of post-natal depression.
    Even though my blood levels have been consistently good for years (I take 200mcg levothyroxine a day), I still notice lots of hair loss in the shower and on the carpet where I do my styling.
    However it seems that the hair on my head is not getting any thinner, I have my hairdresser keep a check on it.
    So I guess I must grow it as quick as I lose it?
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My hair has always been quite thin and fragile so yes. It seems to be extra thin at the back and always shorter bits. Oddly my nails are fantastic.
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My hair has always been quite thin and fragile so yes. It seems to be extra thin at the back and always shorter bits. Oddly my nails are fantastic.

Same for me. When I get the rare manicure, I'm ALWAYS told, "you have great nails." But my hair is awful at the crown. I have no idea how they can be so different!

It has gotten better in the last few years. I use Nutri-ox, which is a shampoo, conditioner, spray, and vitamin that is supposed to help with loss and stimulate regrowth. I can only use the shampoo/conditioner every other day because it does dry my scalp out a bit, but if you are concerned about hair loss you might want to check into it. My mom also has thyroid issues and has had success with it..