Protein powder recipes

Options
lodicox7
lodicox7 Posts: 101 Member
Looking for some ideas on recipes for protein powder. Thought we could all share some of our experiments!

My favorite so far has been a chocolate milkshake. 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, half cup of skim milk, one scoop of chocolate whey powder. Occasionally, I'll add a banana or a touch of peanut butter. Probably not the healthiest of options, but if anyone is an ice cream junkie like me, then you understand the need to incorporate it, even in small doses :)

Has anyone tried the cheesecake recipe from the book?

Replies

• tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i love that the possibilities with protein powder are endless. one of my favorites is to put it in non-fat plain greek yogurt (tons of protein right there too!) and mix with fruit. it's my go to snack for every morning basically. it tastes like cake batter!

i also like to make protein smoothies instead of just the milk or water with the protein powder. i like to do spinach, coconut or regular milk, non-fat plain greek yogurt, maybe half a banana and a tbsp of pb2. the protein powder i have at the moment is vanilla, but i LOVE the chocolate kind from trutein. i recommend all of their flavors. they're all soooo good and can be used in so many different ways. the cinnabun one is awesome in pancakes! you can throw a scoop in to whatever you are making!

a girl i work with uses protein powder in baking experiments - she brings it to work for me to sample! here's a link to her blog. http://2bhappybhealthy.blogspot.com/
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Um, that sounds like a milk shake...
  • rocky503
    Options
    Perfected smoothie:
    2 to 4 Tablespoons Hemp powder (Trader Joes organic vanilla)
    .5 cup kefir, almond milk or coconut milk
    .5 cup frozen blueberries
    1/3 of a banana
    1 to 2 Tablespoons orange juice concentrate
    1 tsp flax seed oil
    1 probiotic capsule (open capsule and sprinkle powder in blender)
    a few ice cubes or a splash of water

one serving
  • lodicox7
    Options
    Um, that sounds like a milk shake...

That's why I referred to it as a 'chocolate milkshake'. lol
  • lodicox7
    Options
    i love that the possibilities with protein powder are endless. one of my favorites is to put it in non-fat plain greek yogurt (tons of protein right there too!) and mix with fruit. it's my go to snack for every morning basically. it tastes like cake batter!

i also like to make protein smoothies instead of just the milk or water with the protein powder. i like to do spinach, coconut or regular milk, non-fat plain greek yogurt, maybe half a banana and a tbsp of pb2. the protein powder i have at the moment is vanilla, but i LOVE the chocolate kind from trutein. i recommend all of their flavors. they're all soooo good and can be used in so many different ways. the cinnabun one is awesome in pancakes! you can throw a scoop in to whatever you are making!

a girl i work with uses protein powder in baking experiments - she brings it to work for me to sample! here's a link to her blog. http://2bhappybhealthy.blogspot.com/

love the idea of using it in baking. Thanks for sharing the blog! I will definitely check it out.

I bought some plain greek yogurt the other day, but I have yet to try it with protein. Maybe that'll be tomorrow's snack. :)
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My Yummy Chocolate Smoothie

1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    4-5 ice cubes (long ones)
    1/2 cup skim milk
    3/4-1 banana

I put it in my Ostracizer honeybomb blender until it is pulverized adequately, stirring things down in between pulses until the ice all makes it to the bottom. Usually I'm counting to 60 by the time it's done. Because I count when I wait. LOL I am not craving ice cream or milkshakes or other treats with it. It does it for me.
  • rocky503
    Options
    I have cut back a ton on adding dairy to smoothies, if you compare the calories and sugar of diary items, even greek yogurt, you are better off with a non dairy addition like almond milk or coconut milk, both unsweetened of course. When I do have dairy anymore it has to be either cultured or fermented.

Sometimes you have to put moderation on the back burner to get results. Once you are where you want to be then give it a try.

Any calorie savings you make through out the day add up.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I haven't experimented much but here is my go-to:

Green Smoothie

1 serving Vanilla protein powder
    1 cup almond milk
    1/2+ cup of fresh or frozen spinach
    1/2 chopped banana (I pre-chop and freeze mine)
    2 tbsp PB (I might switch to PB2...maybe)
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Because I count when I wait. LOL

I count too! haha

If I have enough calories left in the day i'll do:
    vanilla protein powder
    1 cup dark chocolate almond milk
    a frozen banana,
    and blend!

It's great! until you spill it all over your beige carpet. womp.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Just made these Bliss Balls... Nom nom I was scraping the bowl with my finger:) I substituted cocoa for my choc protein powder, went half and half dates and dried apricots, 1 cup nuts split 3 ways with almonds, walnuts and raw cashews and I added 1 tbs ground almonds to dry it up a bit. Cals came out at 75 with 3gm protein 7g carb and 5g good fats. I got 17 bite sized for that sweet hit we all get. Might be your thing might not but I thought I'd share
    http://www.hardys.co.nz/Health+Articles/Supreme+Bliss+Balls.html
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    This is my "Crap I am in a hurry" breakfast protein shake...

1 Cup Coffee
    1 Cup Almond Milk (unsweetened)
    2 Tbsn Sugar Free Caramel Coffee Creamer
    2 Scoops Chocolate Protein Powder
    1/4 cup Quick Cooking Oatmeal

You can do it for breakfast like I have it above (and yes it is a higher calorie breakfast, but I stay full off it until at least lunch so I usually skip a snack) or you can do it for recovery in which I skip the oatmeal, cut the recipe in half and put it over ice, ends up tasting like a latte to me.
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just made these Bliss Balls... Nom nom I was scraping the bowl with my finger:) I substituted cocoa for my choc protein powder, went half and half dates and dried apricots, 1 cup nuts split 3 ways with almonds, walnuts and raw cashews and I added 1 tbs ground almonds to dry it up a bit. Cals came out at 75 with 3gm protein 7g carb and 5g good fats. I got 17 bite sized for that sweet hit we all get. Might be your thing might not but I thought I'd share
    http://www.hardys.co.nz/Health+Articles/Supreme+Bliss+Balls.html

these look amazing. i will need to get my hands on a good chocolate protein powder.
  • bdetty
    bdetty Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I usually I just have a scoop of whey powder and 1.5 cups of milk blended, but every now and then, I'll do one of these in my magic bullet:

COOKIES AND CREAM "MILKSHAKE": 1 scoop vanilla whey, 1.5 cups of milk, 1 oreo cookie
    APPLE PIE SHAKE: 1 scoop vanilla whey, 1 cup of milk, 1/3 cup of apple sauce, 1 tsp of cinnamon
    VANILLA LATTE: 1 scoop vanilla whey, 1/5 cups of milk, 1.5 tsp of instant coffee
    MOCHALATTE: 1 scoop chocolate whey, 1.5 cups of milk, 1.5 tsp of instant coffee
    PEANUT BUTTER CUP: 1 scoop chocolate whey, 1/5 cups of milk, 1 tbs. of peanut butter
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I usually just mix mine with 8 oz of raw milk, but I think to get more calories in I'm gonna start making my protein shakes with coconut milk (from the can). SOOOOO creamy and yummy!!!!
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I usually I just have a scoop of whey powder and 1.5 cups of milk blended, but every now and then, I'll do one of these in my magic bullet:

COOKIES AND CREAM "MILKSHAKE": 1 scoop vanilla whey, 1.5 cups of milk, 1 oreo cookie
    APPLE PIE SHAKE: 1 scoop vanilla whey, 1 cup of milk, 1/3 cup of apple sauce, 1 tsp of cinnamon
    VANILLA LATTE: 1 scoop vanilla whey, 1/5 cups of milk, 1.5 tsp of instant coffee
    MOCHALATTE: 1 scoop chocolate whey, 1.5 cups of milk, 1.5 tsp of instant coffee
    PEANUT BUTTER CUP: 1 scoop chocolate whey, 1/5 cups of milk, 1 tbs. of peanut butter

These all sound great and simple. You can do something similar to the apple pie one by simply using pumpkin instead of apple sauce. Also delicious!
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options