Conflicting information.. help?

Options
forkeeps251
forkeeps251 Posts: 22 Member
Hi all, I just joined. I have a "probable" diagnosis of PCOS, although there was a mess up with my lab work so I don't have any blood work to back that up, but I have multiple other symptoms.

My question is this... a few weeks ago I was reading something on the net and it said that PCOS was a condition that happened, basically, because of poor diet (eating too much sugar and refined carbs), and that the whole underlying issue was insulin resistance. Then I came on here, and saw that the front page said that PCOS is a hereditary condition that you are born with. I'm confused now... it is just the insulin resistance that is caused by years and years of poor diet?

I've had problems with my cycle from a very young age, and I haven't always had problems with my weight, so it seems to make more sense that it is hereditary and not brought on by "environment". Can anyone clear that up for me?

Also, another question... did any of the ladies on here with PCOS have horrid cramping when they first started their period? The first few years I had my period I was absolutely SICK the first could days of it. So bad that I had to miss school, and I would curl up in a ball and lay like that all day, except for occasionally getting up to throw up. It was awful. I remember even contemplating banging my head against the wall, hoping that if I passed out the pain would abate some. Was this just me or is this common with PCOS? It went away after a few years, and now I have "regular" cramping (sometimes!) but nothing severe.

Replies

• Qfrump
    Qfrump Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    PCOS is poorly understood, unfortunately. Diagnosis criteria is usually polycystic ovaries (multiple cysts on your ovaries resembling a string of pearls), high testosterone, and annovulation. If you don't ovulate, you don't get periods. Although PCOS is associated with diabetes and obesity, it's not a prerequisite or a destiny. I was diagnosed in January after trying to conceive for almost a year. I had all three symptoms, but have never been overweight and am not insulin resistant.

Women with PCOS sometimes have trouble losing weight, which is generally thought to be related to insulin resistance. Lifestyle changes such as weight loss and cleaner eating help many women achieve more regular cycles and more manageable symptoms. For the rest of us--it's drugs.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    PCOS is definitely exacerbated by poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle, but it's not CAUSED by it. And about 76% of women with PCOS have insulin resistance as well, but not all. I definitely have PCOS and I'm not insulin resistant.

PCOS is tricky. And it's diagnosed by a combination of things. I can't remember them all, but they include: infrequent or absent periods, ovarian cysts, obesity, adult acne, hirsutism, fertility problems, and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting. Diagnosis typically requires the period problem, plus at least two of the other symptoms.

The thing I'm not clear about is whether there is a "cure". For example, if I lose enough weight and resume a normal period, does that mean the acne will go away and fertility will be restored? I'm sure I'll get that part figured out one of these days.
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Like the other two said PCOS is misunderstood. There are some books out there about it I recommend reading them. I do want to correct one thing, you can your period if you don't ovulate it is called anovulatory (Something like that) cycle. After starting Metformin in January I started to ovulate for sure in March and I had never had the ovulation Pain or the excess cervical mucus before, so my DR thinks that all thought I had my periods on a regular cycle (every 40 days) that I was not ovulating. When his happens your body gets ready to ovulate but an egg doesn't get released so you still have your cycle.

PCOS actual cause is not known but it is believed you are born with it, there is also no cure for PCOS there is a treatment but not a cure. Like another person says when you don't eat right and don't get the movement your body needs your PCOS symptoms will be greater than if you did eat right and get plenty of exercise.
  • AshNoel85
    AshNoel85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said about the it being born with it. Most of the women on my dad side of the family had female issues, same problems that i have, so i really do believe it was hereditary. Most of them told me they did have endometriosis and later had to have hysterectomy's.

I am one who gets the HORRIBLE pain!! I used to literally lay in the fetal position on the floor of the bathroom is so much pain, but couldn't stray far from toilet because i stayed so sick. I can completely understand what you are coming from there. Sometime they were so bad the best pain medicine wouldn't even touch it!! It was worse when i was younger, and Thank God has lighted up some. I do still get bad cramping at times and still get sick but nothing like it used to be!

I hope you find some answers girl. Good luck!!

Ash
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with how misunderstood PCOS is. Even 90% of my doctors don't say the same thing for treating it. I don't want to speak for anyone else on this but I know I was born with it. I was having symptoms from the time I was 6 or 7 years old. I am insulin resistant and pre-diabetic. Both grandparents on my father's side of the family have diabetes so I know that is where that comes from but I am the only one in my family who has any of these things. They think that my aunt might have had it but she is post menopausal so they have no way of knowing. I was always healthy, never overweight as a kid and have always had a great diet. Fruit and Veggie heavy, whole grain breads (my mom grinds her own wheat and makes bread), always more protein and fruits and veggies than carbs...ALWAYS. It was a rule in my house lol. But I still developed all of that. So who knows what really causes it. One thing I do know is that every woman is different in how they develop it.

As to cramping and such. It was so bad for every period that even though I didn't stay in bed I should have. I couldn't function properly. I was constantly bent over in pain. I was just determined that it wasn't going to get me down and interfere with my softball practices everyday. But there were a few times I almost passed out from the pain.