Metformin/Insulin Question

Options
sabinavaughan
sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
Hey all,

Can't seem to find an answer to this one so thought I'd post here....how long does Metformin stay in your system once you stop taking it???

And just your opinion if you could work to come off one or the other (metformin or insulin) which would you do. I'm type 2 and am trying without the metformin to see what happens. Its been 6 days and so far so good, numbers are the same.

Thanks for your input!!!

Sabina

Replies

• fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hiya- it depends a little on your dose and some other factors but generally speaking it takes about a week for Metformin to completely leave your system.

I am a fairly recently diagnosed T2 and have been on insulin because I am nursing. Am now weaning to Metformin. A1C 5.4 (first time below 6) on 60 units NPH at bedtime.

For me, I hate taking the injections, so I am going to go on Metformin until I can get my sugars normalized enough that I no longer require treatment. I am weaning from insulin, starting this week with 125 mg Met and a 10% reduction in my insulin dose.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am not a Dr. so these comments are just those of someone who has self educated on the disease we have.

Metformin peaks in the system a few hours after taking it approx 2 hours (plus or minus). It has a half-life of 6-18 hours. It is not metabolized, but passed in the urine. In other words it reduces by 75% after at least 36 hours and after 2 days you have about 10% of it left in your body.

What concerned me about your question is the implication that you have stopped taking the metformin without consulting your Dr. though I may be wrong.

Metformin is from the biguanide group of drugs. These drugs are usually prescribed to help those with insulin resistance make better use of the insulin their pancreas produces or they are having to inject as their pancreas does not generate enough insulin, which I assume is the case with yourself.

Your weight loss will have helped reduce your insulin resistance and as I assume you have reduced your food intake to lose the weight, the insulin you are taking may be able to cope without the metformin. Given the side effects of the condition we have, I would check with your Dr that it was OK to stop taking it, if you have not done so already.
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi BigG59...sorry for the lateness of the reply...yes I did do it without Dr's advice. The reason being is the dr here in town is a pain and we have no other dr's seeing new patients. He is a push pill kinda guy. That being said I did my blood work on Friday and will see him again for the results this week. I am going to discuss it with him as now I'm wondering if I should continue and cut it down..but I am on Lantus too...the funny thing is my sugars have been fantastic since coming off them and its been over a week!

I have tried researching which is the lesser evil...insulin or metformin but can't seem to find a straight answer.

Also the weight loss...I'm still loosing weight...so I don't think it was the metformin that did it..I think it was the major fix in my horrible diet and excercise including cardio and weights. I feel great!

Don't worry I will talk to him...although I am desperately trying to seek out some advice from a dr who deals with T2 regularly and just won't throw me on pills.

Thanks

Sabina
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    To answer your original question, the research I did when coming off Metformin indicated that it takes 3-4 weeks for Metformin to leave your system - about the same as takes to reach peak effectiveness.

In comparing Metformin and insulin, neither is "evil" Both are the oldest, best tested drugs for diabetic treatment.

The benefits of supplementary insulin are pretty self-explanatory. If your beta cells can non longer produce enough insulin, you need to supplement. Basal (long-acting, background) insulin, such as Lantus, is the first choice when beginning insulin therapy. The biggest risk is the chance of hypoglycemia with too high a dosage. Using a bolus (fast-acting) insulin such as Levemir increases the risk of hypo's just due to inherent inaccuracy in calculating a dosage to cover a meal. Insulin-stimulating drugs also increase the risk of hypoglycemia, are more difficult to customize for individual meals and have not been tested for as long as injectable insulin.

Metformin works primarily by quieting the liver, which is responsible for responding to lows by releasing sugar into the bloodstream. With diabetes, the liver often responds too soon, ie when the person is in a normal range, or the liver releases too much sugar, causing that normal number to go pretty high. So met muffles that response a bit. While it theoretically never causes a low, it does help with fasting numbers that can get out of whack due to dawn phenomenon, and it can limit highs after exercise.

Met has a secondary effect of lowering insulin resistance so that insulin is used more effectively. Metformin has no effect on insulin production capability - for that you need insulin or an oral medication that stimulates insulin production from your pancreas.

Met also has some unrelated effects--it lowers triglycerides and heart risk, may aid with weight loss in the first year of use and there is currently some research into it being a deterrent to some cancers and Alzheimers.

IMO, the most important thing is bringing glucose levels down into "normal" range. Hopefully, your recent bloodwork will show whether or not stopping medications is an option for you.