On Treadmill

Options
kbailey374
kbailey374 Posts: 71 Member
How would one do C25K on the treadmill? would it stay at the same speed?

I have been working out at Planet Fitness for a week and a half today and really want to be able to RUN. But have been a computer-chair potato for quite a while and have never been able to say I was physically fit.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Look up C25K treadmill, and they will break it down into time segments. And yes, you will shift between 2 paces. Remember, walks should be brisk, but also a recovery, and runs should be slow..really slow, like holding a conversation slow. You can add inicline if you want, as rumor has it that it imitates outside (did for me, but might for you), but if you do go about 1-1.5% incline and start out that way.
  • becauseofholly
    becauseofholly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it on the treadmill since the beginning. I have a C25K app on my phone, and I adjust the speed to where I feel comfortable. I walk at 3.3 and jog at a 4.3 speed. It's not too intense to where I want to give up; speed isn't the point. Starting week 5 today.
  • lc9042
    lc9042 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've also been doing it in the treadmill. I'm on week six, day 2, I determine the speed by how I'm feeling. My walking portion is slower speed then the running and I set incline to 1%.
  • wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I also do it on a treadmill, although I am now done with the program and am preparing to transition to outdoor running. For most of the program, I've been walking at about 3.5 and running anywhere between 4.8 and 5.2. I do sometimes increase my speed towards the end of a longer run, ex. today I ran for 30 minutes total, 25 of which was at 5.0, 2 at 5.1, 2 at 5.2, and my last minute at 5.5. I love/hate increasing the speed at the end, I'm always like, nah, I'm not going to do it, and then when I get there I'm like, DO IT. I haven't done any incline work on the treadmill yet but I'm thinking of adding that on days when weather conditions don't allow me to workout outdoors.

I also swear by the app for C25K. I tried to do the program a few years ago (before smartphones) and would bring a sticky note with the day's running plan into the gym with me! It didn't work well for me because I get a mental block when I'm staring at the clock while running, but with the app on my iPhone, I can just flip it over so I don't see the countdown, cover the treadmill readout with a towel, and go.

Good luck! You can do it! I hadn't run in 3 years when I started C25K back in February, so I think I know where you're coming from.
  • kbailey374
    kbailey374 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    wow thanks you guys, I didn't expect that much of a response! whoo hoo!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've also been doing it on the treadmill, walk around 3-3.3 & run at 4.5 or so. I tried to run outside earlier this week and it was a totally different animal. Man it was HARD!! Right now I"m trying increase my endurance and breathing so I'm just going to continue on the treadmill but once I can get through week 5 I may move it outside again. Right now I'm re-doing week 5 until I can comfortably get through the 20 minute run.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    If you plan on, at some point, running outside start with an incline on the treadmill. I did not and was so discouraged when I started running outside.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Even with the incline, the transition can be hard. It's a much different motion.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have been running with a bit of an incline on the treadmill. I recently did a bit of running outside & was able to go to about a minute, which is a bit of an improvement but still now where close to on the treadmill. The good thing is I see improvements weekly. :)