please help

Options
nakiarhall
nakiarhall Posts: 51 Member
What do you think of this results? TSH 0.02, FT4 1.4 (0.6-1.50),FT3 2.4 (1.1-4.7), Hemoglobin 12.3 iron 45 (30-160) on 112 mcg of levo and 5mcg twice a day took Armour before but gained 40 lbs in 2 months I've been working out since sept. and keep gaining and losing the same couple of pounds please help

Replies

• alexis49er
    alexis49er Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It isn't your thyroid that's causing your weight gain, if that's your concern. Your iron seems a little low but your blood tests all look good regarding TSH, FT3 and FT4. I can't see your diary but whenever I hit a plateau, I increase cardio and up my water intake.
  • nakiarhall
    Options
    I've been on 65mg over a year on iron and I really dont notice a difference. I follow a low carb diet I do 1200 calories I do the 17 day diet which has worked for me in thr past. Maybe I should buy a different brand of iron or raise it I dont know. I go to the gym 5 days a week for 1 hr and then I walk 5-6 days a week from 3-5 miles.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Iron isn't going to cause you to not lose or gain weight. Low iron does cause you to feel very tired/sluggish (on top of hypothyroid, it's a ton of fun, believe me). If you've stayed at that level of iron and it's that low, I'd wager that it's just helping you maintain, and you can go higher, but just be careful as you can overdose on iron. For my latest anemia I was put on 325mg 3X day. Oh boy! bleh.

It's been preached to the wall (search the forums on eating enough calories), but 1200 calories is often too low, especially if you're following the MFP calculations, which requires you to eat back your exercise calories. While it seems like it should be the opposite, if you eat too few calories, it throws off your body and it won't lose as much/as fast. I have 120 to lose and it still has me eating 1700 a day.
    Make sure what ever calculations you use (MFP's, TDEE, etc) that you're eating enough.
  • alexis49er
    alexis49er Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Afura is right, the iron won't help with weight loss/gain. It was just an observation that it seems a bit low. I just noticed that you're on Levo and Armour at the same time, which is confusing to me. Levo is a T4 drug and Armour is a T4/T3 combo. You should probably talk to your doctor about being solely on Armour or switching to Levo and a T3 drug like Cytomel. Just a side note.

Something I had trouble accepting for a while was that it wasn't my thyroid causing my weight gain. I wanted to blame it and think that when my levels were normal, I'd lose the weight again. That isn't the case. You have to be super diligent with your eating (especially carbs) but I'd also have your doctor look at other stuff if you feel like the weight gain is caused by something else. Otherwise, look at what you're eating, how much activity you're doing and see if you're being accurate with measurements, etc.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Are you doing weights at the gym or just cardio? Are you eating back your exercise calories? 1200 is very low either way but especially if you are not eating back exercise calories - if you are just doing cardio, add some weights and try adding some calories. Your levels look good, so it could be that your metabolism is suppressed from too much stress as far as not enough food and too much cardio. Also I eat high protein, highish carbs (mostly vegetables) and lower fat and it works great for me.
  • nakiarhall
    Options
    Im not on both meds Im ust on levo and yes I do weights at the gym. Maybe I will try more food.