I need help...

Options
piscean6
piscean6 Posts: 26 Member
Im new to Paleo and I could use some help. I know the basis is meat, fruit, veggies and nuts. I have people telling me that some nuts and some fruit are no nos. So I thought Id write a post to find out from this group what you all consider good. Where do bananas fall? I have been told they have too much carbs and sugar. What are your views on almonds and cherries? I could use a friend that knows a lot about Paleo that would be willing to teach me. Im mostly looking for female friends, but will certainly take advice for a guy. I could use advice on marcos too. Pretty much anything that you have learned and that works for you I am willing to learn. Thank you for your replies in advance.

Replies

• piscean6
    Options
    Also when is best to eat what food during day for best weight loss goals and metabolism? Thanks
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    So here's the thing....bananas are good especially after a work-out. However, I have been researching and researching this lifestyle and I hear that if you want to loose weight keep the fruit and nuts intake very low. As with anything you must do a trial and error to effectively find what works best for you. What I've learned (for me) is that too many carbs and fruit stalls my weight loss. Also working out too much stalls weight loss. So basically I dont know if I answered your questions but the best advice I can give is go by trial and error...there is no BIBLE to go by when it comes to primal/paleo.

I was trying to say that if I work out too much it stalls my weight loss this may not happen with you or others.
  • piscean6
    Options
    I have found out that working out too much stalled my weight loss too. I can see how the fruit can too because of the sugar. So you are a plus for bananas, just not more than one a day?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Best bet, do a google search, and do research, and find out what works best for you. There is so much information on what 'is' and 'isnt' Paleo or Primal, some people have constraints on time/money/food allergies, etc. etc. As with anything to do with health, best bet is to educate yourself.
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    yes I would say eat one after your work-out...again this works for me so remember trial and error.
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's all trial and error. If your main goal is to lose weight, go light on the fruit and nuts. Stick with good fats, protein, and lots of veggies. A banana after a workout isn't going to hurt anything. I find that I get the best results when I stick with around 75-100 grams of carbs a day, a lot higher than what most other people who eat Paleo consume, but if I go any lower than that my body doesn't appreciate it much.

One big important thing to remember is that Paleo is NOT about restriction! You want to eat a lot. Especially if your doing a rigorous workout routine (weight lifting, Crossfit, Insanity). You want to find your RMR and go from there. There are a lot of calculators online, but don't restrict calories. Focus on the good!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Paleo is not low carb.

Eat banana's post workout, or whenever you want, should you want to eat a banana. They are a whole, nutritious food... try not to look at it as a diet with "rules". Just eat real food in their natural (or cooked by the simplest of means) state.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Hello, I just got the book yesterday and I am new too. I have also been trying to research the web about Paleo/Primal/wheat belly. This is on the advice of my Dr. What I remember reading was to keep fruits to a bare minimum and stick to berries and melons if you are trying to lose weight. I have seen other people say the don't feel well after a work out if they don't get some extra carbs after or before. So I guess a lot of it is guess work on your part also.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist (who put me on a paleo diet) recommended I stay away from tropical fruits (bananas, melons, kiwis, etc.) and stick to berries, apples and pears. No restrictions on nuts, but I've found I don't have enough calories to eat them too often when I'm not working out (I recently had surgery and now can only walk to get exercise).

Like was mentioned above, trial and error is the way to go. The goal is to get your blood sugar and insulin responses back to normal and eliminate binge eating. Couple that with a sound exercise program and you should progress to your goals.
  • piscean6
    Options
    Thank you all for the help. Can anyone give me some good websites or a good book to read?
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I always recommend "it starts with food" you can get a kindle version on amazon.
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm primal, and the reason I dropped fruits for awhile is because I was trying to get a break from sugar (all types) Fruit was making me tired just like a candy bar would have, so I cut as much sugar as I could for about a month. I am a sugar addict.

Now I try to stay under 100 grams a day, still not a huge amount of fruit, I usually only do 1 apple or 1 banana or some berries and possibly a sweet potato. I tried to add back unsweetened chocolate or even some dark chocolate with minimal sugar and have found that chocolate is something my body is not willing to tolerate, even if I eat a very small amount, my stomach immediately knots up and I feel sick for the rest of the evening. :(

My weight loss is very slow, no matter what I do, but I find that dropping grains and limiting my fruits, my appetite is now in control and not raging like it was.

I follow the "Primal Blueprint", website: Marks Daily Apple
  • dannyXoxo
    dannyXoxo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to go cold turkey paleo but have succumbed to my cravings a couple of times, I'm actually beginning a 30 day paleo challenge tomorrow (very excited) :p one thing I've read consistently and even realized after my first two attempts that one of the best ways to maintain weight loss is to increase your healthy fats.... It'll keep you fuller longer as well as will keep the amount of carbs you consume lower. Also I find that if I limit fruit intake to a couple of times a week instead of everyday I notice I lose weight quicker :)
  • piscean6
    Options
    Thanks all. It is hard to give up fruit as well as sugar. I too have sugar addiction. I will try a week without fruit and see how that feels. The wheat was easy to give up since I have a gluten intolerance. The rice was a bit harder since that became my new wheat. I think when I get to my goal I can eat more fruit and stuff but to get there I have to stop and bare it. Its nice to know Im not alone in this struggle. Im just trying to get healthier and feel better. Its a simple want, but not that easy in a society like ours.
  • vabelle86
    vabelle86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Paleo is not low carb.

Eat banana's post workout, or whenever you want, should you want to eat a banana. They are a whole, nutritious food... try not to look at it as a diet with "rules". Just eat real food in their natural (or cooked by the simplest of means) state.

This!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    there is no BIBLE to go by when it comes to primal/paleo.

This, plus what others said about trial and error. That's what is great about tracking, you can see what you eat and try to narrow down what made you feel sick, hungry, etc. Personally, I don't eat apples, because 45 minutes after eating one, I'm hungry again (even if I had it with a meal!).

I do eat bananas, but like already mentioned, I try to stick to after workouts. I eat berries pretty much every day, but limit the higher carb (read: sugar) fruits. Whereas when I thought I was eating "healthy", I probably consumed at least 3 servings of sugary fruit a day, easily as many carbs in that as I have all day sometimes now! Paleo/primal doesn't HAVE to be low-carb (I try to tailor mine based on activity level), but cutting out grains and legumes cuts down on them a lot from SAD eating.

Fruits and nuts can hinder weight loss efforts, due to the sugar in the fruit, and because nuts are very calorie-dense. Same with cheese. It's easy for me to eat a lot of both, so I still have to do some portion control there. But I eat all the protein and veggies I want, pretty much! As someone else mentioned, try to look as this not as a restrictive "diet", but a new way of eating that is sustainable for life. And to find what works for you, there is no one-size-fits-all in terms of calories, macros, etc.

As for websites, MikeFlyMike made a thread for that a week or two ago. They're on Facebook, but most of them have websites, too:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/978371-people-i-follow-on-facebook
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    I have ate lots of fruit!, sometimes more then veggies =/ and I am still losing! So many health benefits! Just try and see what works!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help. Can anyone give me some good websites or a good book to read?

Don't we have a sticky for this? If not, why don't we?

BOOKS
    Primal Blueprint, Mark Sisson (not strictly Paleo, but falls in line, generally, and explains in depth the role of carbs and fruit when looking to lose weight)
    It Starts With Food, Dallas and Melissa Hartwig
    The Paleo Solution, Robb Wolf

WEBSITES
    MarksDailyApple.com (Mark Sisson's website)
    whole9.com and whole30.com (whole30 is whole9's one-month, strict basically-Paleo challenge)
    robbwolf.com
    westonaprice.org
    eatwild.com
    paleoinfused.com

Actually, here - here's a couple of pages with oodles of other resources:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-resource-guide/#axzz2TSjwecXo
    The sidebar of robbwolf.com (specifically the "New? Start Here" and "Programs and Books" blocks)

Also, re: fruit - The general consensus is that if you're trying to lose weight, keep the fruit to a minimum and eat mostly berries. The idea behind that is that fruit (particularly the tropical stuff) has tons of sugar (it doesn't help a lot of them are bred for sugar these days), which works against the purpose of Paleo/Primal for weight loss. Specifics on going about it vary. For example, some people do fine with a lot of fruit, others don't. Eat some fruit if you want. If you stall, cut the fruit back. It doesn't have to be a high-stress thing.
  • SaraJane1011
    SaraJane1011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to view Paleo is to view it as a lifestyle. It think if we see it as a diet then we limit ourselves when really there is so much that you can truly eat when you live it. The weight comes off on its own time as your body adjusts to the fantastic changes it is making! GO PALEO!