What is considered low carb?

Options
Hi - new to this and was wondering what the group considers to be low carb? I have seen some really low figures being given and I was just wondering if low carb. (or prob moderate carb) could be at 100g? Or is it done by percentage of carbs in the overall food intake? Sorry if its a daft question.

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Low carb is pretty vague and covers a wide range. For some it's Atkins style induction, with 20 g of carbs per day. I follow with Keto, which is similar - but keto is Low Carb, High Fat, Moderate protein. So keto has macros of 65% Fat - 30% Protein - 5% Carbs (5% carbs is still around 20g net carbs for me). Others are just trying to eat lower carbs, while still following a low fat diet. Atkins induction and Keto focuses on ketosis, and keep carbs super low as a means of controlling appetite (lower carbs mean no insulin response, which helps avoid those appetite spikes and blood sugar crashes).

If someone is doing keto or Atkins, there are some pretty specific "rules" that you follow. If it's just a "I'm lowering my carbs", then I don't really have much to contribute for that approach.

It's a good idea on this board to ask what their program is, because as you point out, it can be a pretty broad range.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I saw this posted on another thread and thought it may be helpful:

Re: grams of carbs

■ 0-50 grams per day: Ketosis and I.F. (Intermittent Fasting) zone. Excellent catalyst for rapid fat loss through I.F. Not recommended for prolonged periods (except in medically supervised programs for obese or Type 2 diabetics) due to unnecessary deprivation of plant foods.
    ■ 50-100 grams per day: Sweet Spot for Weight Loss. Steadily drop excess body fat by minimizing insulin production. Enables 1-2 pounds per week of fat loss with satisfying, minimally restrictive meals.
    ■ 100-150 grams per day: Primal Maintenance zone. Once you’ve arrived at your goal or ideal body composition, you can maintain it quite easily here while enjoying abundant vegetables, fruits and other Primal foods.
    ■ 150-300 grams a day: Insidious Weight Gain zone. Most health conscious eaters and unsuccessful dieters end up here, due to frequent intake of sugar and grain products (breads, pastas, cereals, rice, potatoes – even whole grains). Despite trying to “do the right thing” (minimize fat, cut calories), people can still gain an average of 1.5 pounds of fat every year for decades.
    ■300+ grams a day: Danger Zone of average American diet. All but the most extreme exercisers will tend to produce excessive insulin and store excessive fat over the years at this intake level. Increases risk for obesity, Metabolic Syndrome and type 2 diabetes.
  • rdcphone572
    rdcphone572 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    @bookyeti - that was really an interesting synopsis...thanks!
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks, bookyeti, for the quantifications. It's hard to aim for a target that has no
    definition. This helps a lot. :smile:
  • samsara18
    samsara18 Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks Bookyeti - that is really helpful. Thanks kiramaniac thanks for the advice to ask which people are following....seems a wide variety of people of people on here then.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

■ 0-50 grams per day: Ketosis and I.F. (Intermittent Fasting) zone. Excellent catalyst for rapid fat loss through I.F. Not recommended for prolonged periods (except in medically supervised programs for obese or Type 2 diabetics) due to unnecessary deprivation of plant foods.
    ■ 50-100 grams per day: Sweet Spot for Weight Loss. Steadily drop excess body fat by minimizing insulin production. Enables 1-2 pounds per week of fat loss with satisfying, minimally restrictive meals.
    ■ 100-150 grams per day: Primal Maintenance zone. Once you’ve arrived at your goal or ideal body composition, you can maintain it quite easily here while enjoying abundant vegetables, fruits and other Primal foods.
    ■ 150-300 grams a day: Insidious Weight Gain zone. Most health conscious eaters and unsuccessful dieters end up here, due to frequent intake of sugar and grain products (breads, pastas, cereals, rice, potatoes – even whole grains). Despite trying to “do the right thing” (minimize fat, cut calories), people can still gain an average of 1.5 pounds of fat every year for decades.
    ■300+ grams a day: Danger Zone of average American diet. All but the most extreme exercisers will tend to produce excessive insulin and store excessive fat over the years at this intake level. Increases risk for obesity, Metabolic Syndrome and type 2 diabetes.

Hi, do you happen to have a source for where this info was quoted from?
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Hi, do you happen to have a source for where this info was quoted from?

I believe this is from Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Carbohydrate Curve. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz2TRvrvdVc
  • djkprojects
    djkprojects Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Jonny Bowden has an interesting blog post about that here:
    http://jonnybowdenblog.com/what-exactly-is-a-low-carb-diet-anyway/
  • samsara18
    samsara18 Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks shar - I'l check it out :smile:
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info!
  • sspahn49
    sspahn49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

• sspahn49
    sspahn49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is just great, thank you.