Anyone with a nut allergy?

Options
Hi, all!

I'm new here and I'm already enjoying eating without feeling like I'm doing something naughty.

One thing that gives me trouble with meeting my intake and sticking to healthy foods, though, is the fact that I have a nut allergy. A lot of people suggest adding high calorie, low volume foods to your diet to get in the calories your body wants/needs, and a popular suggestion is a handful of almonds or peanut butter or the like. But I can't eat any nuts. At all.

So, does anyone know of anything I could use in place of that?

I do add avocado to a meal when I can, but I honestly get enough fat in my diet without it. And even if it's supposed to be the good stuff, too much of a good thing is still too much.

Any help at all would be awesome. I don't want half of my calories to end up coming from a "gotta have it" serving of ice cream from Coldstone Creamery. :)

Replies

• SME1976
    SME1976 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions for you but I do have the same question. I don't have a nut allergy but my oldest son does. I stay way from all nuts so I don't risk exposing him accidentally.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I don't have a nut allergy, but I do have a wheat allergy.

I would suggest full fat cheeses and what not. Also having more whole grains like brown rice and couscous (I can't have it, but you can) and also veges like corn & potatoes. Hummus w/ veges and whole grain crackers is a good one.

If I think of any more I will let ya know.

Anita
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options
    How about seeds? My son is allergic to peanuts (no other nuts or seeds) and his allergist recommended Sunbutter, so now DH and I eat that as a PB substitute. Our son doesn't like it, so we just avoid peanuts for him. Sunbutter isn't bad though... maybe you could also explore the possibility of adding chia seeds to salads or smoothies. If you aren't allergic to other seeds, that is. If you are, I wouldn't risk experimenting with seeds. Chia seeds are tasteless, very small seeds that are high in protein in Omega 3s. A healthy way to add those elements to your diet, as long as you aren't allergic.
  • somuchsolittle
    Options
    How about seeds? My son is allergic to peanuts (no other nuts or seeds) and his allergist recommended Sunbutter, so now DH and I eat that as a PB substitute. Our son doesn't like it, so we just avoid peanuts for him. Sunbutter isn't bad though... maybe you could also explore the possibility of adding chia seeds to salads or smoothies. If you aren't allergic to other seeds, that is. If you are, I wouldn't risk experimenting with seeds. Chia seeds are tasteless, very small seeds that are high in protein in Omega 3s. A healthy way to add those elements to your diet, as long as you aren't allergic.

Oh, I didn't know that about chia seeds, but that makes me even more interested to try them. I'm not sure about the sunflower seeds (I used to be scared as a kid and have just spent most of my time avoiding things with a hard shell out of habit) but it's definitely worth a try. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • somuchsolittle
    Options
    I don't have a nut allergy, but I do have a wheat allergy.

I would suggest full fat cheeses and what not. Also having more whole grains like brown rice and couscous (I can't have it, but you can) and also veges like corn & potatoes. Hummus w/ veges and whole grain crackers is a good one.

If I think of any more I will let ya know.

Anita

I forgot to mention I do get my fair share of whole wheat AND dairy. Haha. Other people have chocolate and I have cheese, so I've been trying to cut back on that a smidge. But I love that hummus idea *looks for recipes*. And somehow I haven't had corn in forever, so I know what I might add to dinner tonight. Thanks a lot for the help!
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Bumping to see what comes up.

I don't have an allergy, but my BF does so we do not have any in the house. I keep almonds which he is okay with in my desk drawer at work, but otherwise avoid them Always looking for more ideas for the both of us that don't require nuts.
  • SME1976
    SME1976 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

We use Sunbutter as well... it is a very good replacement. Pricy but we like it better than peanut butter.
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    bumping. I dont have allergies but my breastfed toddler does: dairy, peanuts and eggs. so getting extra protein is a little difficult for me
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt! Good fats, high in calories and protein.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I just to add that I made a triple berry smoothie.

1 cup of frozen unsweetened triple berries from Costco, but you could use just about any frozen fruit.

1 5-6oz NF vanilla greek yogurt

1/2 cup of unsweetened !00% apple juice

1 scoop of Designer whey all natural protein powder (100 calories)( I used the French Vanilla one)

Blend in a blender (I used my Ninja) until smooth. Pour in a tall glass and enjoy!!!!
  • yayagirl2
    yayagirl2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi ,

I am allergic to nuts and some seeds, too. I use soy nut butter and really like it. I put it on unsalted rice cakes with all fruit spread and it really tastes good and does the job for me...I miss having peanut butter!

Good luck, try chia seeds too.
  • Lexi491625
    Lexi491625 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've had a severe peanut/treenut allergy my whole life. Finding proper foods to eat can be difficult, especially because of my allergies to other foods.

I have found certain foods to be better than others. I would strongly suggest beans.

Edamame are delicious and filling. I would eat baked beans, refried beans (in taco salads!), black beans, edamame, Lima beans, any type of bean. They are filling and simple and non-processed. Or at least less so than things like soy nut butter (whatever THAT is) and peanut replacements.

I hope this help!
  • caligulala
    caligulala Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just want to commiserate about the nut allergy. I developed an allergy to tree nuts and a bunch of other foods during pregnancy. I never realized how many desserts have nuts in them! I substitute sunflower seeds for nuts as appropriate, and use lots of tasty oil for satiety since we're also mostly vegetarian.
  • KatieDuvall612
    KatieDuvall612 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to soy and some tree nuts, and I'm lactose intolerant and don't tolerate peanuts well either. Although, I do rely on dairy pills for the lactose intolerance more than I care to admit because I love Greek yogurt, cheese, and chocolate. :)

I bulk up my morning smoothies with healthy fats from coconut oil and chia seeds. I add coconut oil to other things also - toast, hot tea, use it in place of butter in recipes, etc.

I also eat lots of black beans, sunflower seeds, and smoothies with plant based protein powder.