Struggling to cut again after reset

Options
Kim55555
Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
Hi

After being in deficit for nearly 3 years and losing 32 kgs I did a metabolic reset for 11 weeks. My rmr was about 850 before the reset and then after 5 weeks eating at a slight surplus I had it retested and it was 1500 which was great! During the reset i put on around 3 kg or so. My average gross calories for the 2 months was 2596

Since early April I have made a couple of attempts to eat at deficit as I still would like to lose a little more off my tummy. The first time I lasted around a week. The latest attempt I lasted 3 weeks and now i have started eating more again, around the 2500 mark.

Anyone else have trouble getting back into cut mode again. I think I will have to reduce my nuts. Will also have to replace one of my meals with salad or something.

I'm finding it tough to stick to just 1850 calories now after eating a lot more. I'll have to reread my forum topics to remind myself of the things that have worked in the past. I've done it before I know I can do it again. I will keep trying.

Another thing... My tummy is a bit loose and wrinkly and I dont think the exercise and weights are helping to tighten this area. I'm actually looking into Thermage treatment (non surgical skin tightening) anyone have any experience with this.

Anyone else have trouble getting back to cutting after their reset ?

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Ever since Easter time this year I have struggled to get back into 'diet' mode and put on about 3kgs also. About 2 weeks ago I started doing intermittent fasting with an 8 hour eating window. Now I only eat between 1pm and 9pm (except when I have an early football game)This has been a turn around for me. I don't find myself missing breakfast and I'm able to eat bigger meals. Not for everyone I realise but it could be worth a shot.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I could be right off base but have you considered eating at maintenance and using exercise for body comp alone???

You've done so well so don't beat yourself up:flowerforyou:
  • Imaan2012
    Imaan2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I could be right off base but have you considered eating at maintenance and using exercise for body comp alone???

You've done so well so don't beat yourself up:flowerforyou:

I agree with this ^^^. I also found it hard to go back to cutting. So I ate at maintenance and when I felt good about that, I dropped 100 kcal a day. I try to weigh every 2 or 3 weeks, allready lost 0.7 kg, but seeing changes in the mirror >>> that' what I like :- )

Good luck!
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Good ideas to think about thanks. For some reason I seem to want to eat about 2500 lately which is probably 2-300 over tdee.

I'm worried and I know I'll put on weight eating at 2500 so I need to take action.

Maybe this is the way to go so that I don't make too drastic a cut to begin with. Ok I'll firstly work on eating 2300 for a while and as I feel ready I'll start cutting from 2300. So for instance for a month or 2 eat 2300, then cut 100 calories off & see how I go. My body will hopefully find this easier physically & psychologically this way.

Thanks! :)
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Or another idea could be 2 days tdee 1 cut repeated then when you fell like it change to 2 cut 1 tdee. Eventually we will all be at maintenance and why not eat all the good calories our body will allow.
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started a cut last week, I cut 500 cals (20%) and the first few days sucked, I was hungry and I missed the food. But after a few days I got used to it. I cut out things like the bread I had with my soup, butter, the Peanut butter I put in my porridge. I'm also adding more vege to my meals to fill up. Even when I ate at TDEE I tried not to eat nuts as I didn't find then filling.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Its now November and I have had 5 or 6 failed attempts to cut again since May.

This time around I decided to write myself a binding contract and I stuck it on my fridge and signed it

In it I declare how much i will lose each month.

I have outlined how I will go about achieving this. I have a list of all the foods I will eat and the calories i will average per week. I will be weighing everything. I'll also pre pare food.

I have also decided to say it out loud twice a day in the morning and at night as a reminder, as an affirmatinon so I program it into my head. I will also become a regular myfitnesspal contributer and lurker again so weight loss/fat loss is constantly on my mind. I need to "eat breathe and sleep" weight loss. I need it to be on mind 24/7 so i stay on track.

When i go back to work tomorrow i will pin it on my wall too.

I've lost 2 kg so far in a couple of weeks. I'm around 64.6 kg today. Goal is to get back to 57 kg. I will be 60 kg by February 1st 2014 and 57 kg by July 1st 2014. The last 3 kg take forever for me to lose.

Ok i'm confident now everythng is in place for me to achieve the result. I have decided to never bulk again. Its just to damm hard for me to cut afterwards. I'm ok with that as i was really happy with my physique at 57 kg. I looked ripped, i could some nice arm definition. I have plenty of muscle for it to shine through and dont need to add muscle.
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Its now November and I have had 5 or 6 failed attempts to cut again since May.

This time around I decided to write myself a binding contract and I stuck it on my fridge and signed it

In it I declare how much i will lose each month.

I have outlined how I will go about achieving this. I have a list of all the foods I will eat and the calories i will average per week. I will be weighing everything. I'll also pre pare food.

I have also decided to say it out loud twice a day in the morning and at night as a reminder, as an affirmatinon so I program it into my head. I will also become a regular myfitnesspal contributer and lurker again so weight loss/fat loss is constantly on my mind. I need to "eat breathe and sleep" weight loss. I need it to be on mind 24/7 so i stay on track.

When i go back to work tomorrow i will pin it on my wall too.

I've lost 2 kg so far in a couple of weeks. I'm around 64.6 kg today. Goal is to get back to 57 kg. I will be 60 kg by February 1st 2014 and 57 kg by July 1st 2014. The last 3 kg take forever for me to lose.

Ok i'm confident now everythng is in place for me to achieve the result. I have decided to never bulk again. Its just to damm hard for me to cut afterwards. I'm ok with that as i was really happy with my physique at 57 kg. I looked ripped, i could some nice arm definition. I have plenty of muscle for it to shine through and dont need to add muscle.

Sounds like a good plan! I too am having a very difficult time going down to cut level. I have decided to do calorie cycling. I eat 2047 on workout days and 1589 on rest days (with a refeed day every 10 days) which amounts to the same if I cut 500 calories each day, only this way my body still benefits from the cut but I don't totally wash on my workouts. :) It's been SO HARD! lol