Squats and rows form check please!

Options
lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
OK, my first ever YouTube uploads eek.. and on the squats I think the major problem is I'm coming up in 2 phases, not sure how to correct..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCKXYKdkh-s

On the rows, I'm actually a bit chuffed, feel free to shoot down my chuffedness! and it proves I still have rolls round my middle lol..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjSf_FaWZP4

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    They both come up as private.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Will try and sort out in a mo! Argh!
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    try again! I did say it was my first time on YouTube!
  • jstout365
    Options
    I see the fold on the way up as well. It almost looks like you start up with hip drive which is okay, but it is only pushing your hips, not your trunk. This in turn, is causing you to fold forward a bit more when you are tired (rep 1 was okay) causing the 2 part up movement. I would say that your core isn't staying tight through the lift so it isn't keeping everything in line. At one point it almost looks like you are starting to do a Good Morning. So, to my not well trained eye, I would say to work on the core to fix the bendy thing.

Oh, and the rows look fine to me, but I'm not as comfortable with that form. I have a bit to work on myself.

You can always post in the Eat, Train, Progress form critique thread for their input. They have a good eye for these things.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the core work/tightness on squats. Depth looked fine, but you do start with hip drive and then somehow your upper body takes over to push the weight the rest of the way, because you're leaning too far forward. Maybe deload a bit and let your core catch up? I was leaning forward way too much also, and that's why I started to include front squats in my routine, to force myself to squat more upright with a straight back, because I always felt like I was going to fall backwards, so I overcompensated by leaning too far forward. Try looking up a bit more, as that might help correct it. It's what I ended up having to do. Neutral/forward gaze doesn't necessarily work for everybody on squats (even though it's what Rippetoe says to do). It certainly didn't work for me.

If hip drive is an issue, try "pushing the floor apart" with your feet on the bottom of the squat. That really helps engage those hip muscles and should provide you with the power to drive the weight up all the way.

Rows -- posture overall was good, back was mostly straight and parallel to the floor, but I noticed your upper back/shoulders dipping somewhat, which may have to do with how you have the plates set up, and it's really nothing major. Maybe try one more plate under it so you lean forward less and it's easier to keep things parallel. I understand how awkward those are, and I know my form gets a bit sloppy too because I'm not up to the big plates. It sort of looked like you were squeezing your shoulder blades correctly to finish the move, but I couldn't really tell b/c of the angle.

Maybe just overall focus on tightening up for your lifts, especially engaging your core and keeping everything tight and stable, focus on hip drive and being more upright with your squats, and you should be golden.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    On your squats, keep your elbows pointed DOWN instead of backward. I think the reason why you are losing balance as you push the bar forward and causing you to do a bit of a good morning is because your arms are too horizontal. You want your wrists to be straight too.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    thank you all.. so should I deload (I already deloaded to 40kg and just worked back up looking at knee wobble and depth of squat) and work back up? It only really becomes an issue in the last 5kg I'd say, with this bending in half thing going on.. or should I work on some core? If so any tips?! it's always been weedy and after 2 c-sections isn't easy to improve. what should I be doing, planks? situps? something completely different?

really appreciate all these tips, I want to OWN that 'rone zone!
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello, I got pulled up by a trainer for doing something similar on the squat, I think it's a height issue (you and I are the same height). What has helped is widening my stance and pointing out my feet. This allows my back to stay more upright and my bum and thighs to take the weight rather than my lower back. It took a while to get used the new position, but I much prefer it now. In Ripptoe tutorials he usually gets the athlete to widen his stance and point his toes out. Re: core issues, I know people poo poo the weight belt but I am considering getting one to encourage me to push my tummy out against it when squatting and deadlifting.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I agree that core strength may be the issue, but I'm curious about what you do with your breath when you squat. Molly Galbraith of Girls Gone Strong published something (can't remember what/where) talking about how you can use your inhaled breath to help stabilize your core on squats - I basically visualize a balloon that fills my lower torso as I breathe in, then hold that balloon rigid as I go down and up, only releasing the air pressure at the top of the squat.

And the rows look good - watch your head position, and bump your bar up another set of plates so that you don't have to round quite so much at the beginning of the movement. Also, I can't tell if you are bumping your chest or not? That extra little bit of oomph makes them fun, IMO. But I'm weird like that! :)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    thank you all.. so should I deload (I already deloaded to 40kg and just worked back up looking at knee wobble and depth of squat) and work back up? It only really becomes an issue in the last 5kg I'd say, with this bending in half thing going on.. or should I work on some core? If so any tips?! it's always been weedy and after 2 c-sections isn't easy to improve. what should I be doing, planks? situps? something completely different?

really appreciate all these tips, I want to OWN that 'rone zone!

Since the interwebs ate my first response (WTF?!) ... I've had a C-section and not much ab muscles to speak of, plus I've got a weak lower back (probably related to lack of ab strength), so I do yoga and focus on core strength, plus I force myself to go up in weight only as I can afford to with good form, so my body works as a unit and all my muscles get stronger together (as much as that's possible).

You can easily do core work between lifting days and/or deload and/or move up slower in weight. Just pick whatever option suits you best, and do it.
  • jstout365
    Options
    I will always say do some core work. I kind of take the mentality that the core is the foundation to all strength so a focus should be made to get and keep it strong.

Here is a pdf on some really good core stability stretches and exercises. http://www.princeton.edu/uhs/pdfs/Lumbar.pdf

I usually do core on my non-SL days just for the time factor.

Some of my favorite moves are:

Bicycle crunches
    Russian Twists
    Leg lifts
    V-ups (I can't go the full V yet, but it is still a good movement)
    Supermans
    Wood Chops (I use a kettle bell, resistance band, or cable pull)
    Back extensions
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    thank you all, most helpful, enlightening, slightly depressing at times (what, I wanted a quick fix ok?!) but ultimately encouraging. I -will- get there! :)