Metformin Day 1: Squirts-A-Plenty

Options
Holy cats! A night not to forget.

Picked up my prescription around mid-day and took it (850 mg once a day) with dinner. Then, about two hours later, it happened.

peter-griffin-has-diarrhea-o.gif

I picked up some anti-diarrheal at Walgreens, along with a Diet Sprite to help settle things down. I needed some baby wipes too, to help cool the fire, but I was too embarrassed to buy it along with the anti-diarrhea medicine.

Doing okay this morning, but not looking forward to the taking the next dose this afternoon.

How long did this last, if it all, for y'all?

Replies

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I don't think mine was as bad as yours - the first time I took it I just got a stomach-ache - a really bad one. I thought my stomach was going to inflate and explode. I was actually going on vacation the next day so I didn't take it again until I got back. I want to say the worst of it was over after 2 weeks and I noticed that I had problems if I took after I ate (usually meaning I forgot) and it was a lot better if I took it before or after a few bites.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I never realized how fortunate I was...I never had any noticeable side effects. Didn't realize how it affects others until I read several of these posts. Guess I'm more grateful than I realized! Good luck to you.
  • sparkyreb
    sparkyreb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The first week I took them 500mg twice daily I had a couple of near misses. I spoke to my Doctor as it was another who started me on them and they should of said take 1 with meals for a couple of weeks then 2. Ive been on 1 for a while but my BG has been slowly creeping up post 2 hours so back on 2. gotten used to them now but Ive had them changed to the slow release type which has greatly improved things.
    I'm still being followed round by Ducks but that's a small inconvenience. taking them with meals helps. it will get better.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    Thanks, SparkyReb. Good to know it gets better.

Day 2 was a doozy. Imodium helps. I'll take the Imodium with the Metformin this afternoon, with dinner. Yeesh...
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yep...I had the same problem. I was afraid to leave the HOUSE. I had to stop taking it temporarily, then I cut the dosage in half until my body got used to it. Now I take the dose I am supposed to and have no problems. Hang in there! :)
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I never realized how fortunate I was...I never had any noticeable side effects. Didn't realize how it affects others until I read several of these posts. Guess I'm more grateful than I realized! Good luck to you.
    My doctor did not warn me about the side effects but she said she would start me on once a day and "see how it goes" something about the way she said it made me say... WHAT? WHY? She skirted the issue by saying that it is a very safe medication and that it is prescribed to many non diabetics as well. So sneaky.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I had no side effects either, we are lucky.

You could ask your Doctor to prescribe the slow release version, they often help with gastric problems.

Good luck.