Help I need tips my morning sugar levels are not lowering..

Options
Before I got pregnant I used to weight 165 and I used to take pills .metfornin
During my pregnancy and during breast feeding I had to be in the insuling, (my levels were in the 80s with insulin)

In December I was done breast feeding my son and I went back to the pills..metformin
I have lost 23 pounds since December
Now I weight 203 pounds

Even though I am exercising my sugar levels are around 125 in the morning. (During January, and February my levels were in the 145s. My doctor told me to take 3.pills a day one with ache meal (500 grams each)

Besides exercise, dieting etc. what can I do at night or during the day to lower my levels)???

No criticism please.... Advice only please

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/type-2-diabetes-diet-cure?INTCMP=SRCH

This article was in yesterday's Guardian newspaper. I posted it in the insulin resistance forum but it didn't get any responses. The recommended diet for reducing blood glucose is pretty extreme, but they seem to suggest you don't need to do it for long to get results. Hope this helps.
  • PrimaveraEterna007
    Options
    Thanks for responding
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    bump to save article. ty
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Many of us are struggling with the same issue. I know I am.

Check out blood sugar 101 here: http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

It talks about why it happens and gives tips on getting it down.
    I don't think you need an extreme low calorie diet - I've seen lots of people doing a high fat - low carb diet that has done the same thing without having to go hungry.
  • PrimaveraEterna007
    Options
    Many of us are struggling with the same issue. I know I am.

Check out blood sugar 101 here: http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

It talks about why it happens and gives tips on getting it down.
    I don't think you need an extreme low calorie diet - I've seen lots of people doing a high fat - low carb diet that has done the same thing without having to go hungry.

This lady that I know got diagnose in January....now she is using metformin and her levels are below 100s....
    She eats oatmeal for breakfast and dinner. For lunch she eats regular meals but without bread or tortilla. Only meat ,vegetables and rice once in a while. And she has lost. 40 pounds since January
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have the same trouble. A lot of times it's things you cannot control, like hormones. I've been reading Jimmy Moore's N=1 blog posts and he has been having good results with an herbal product called Glucosolve (I think I got the name correct). I ordered some yesterday, so we'll see how that goes.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/n1

I really don't want to go back to taking Metformin, so I'll continue to work to find what works for me. Yesterday my fasting was 112, today 98. Go figure. Overall it has come down in the past 3 months, so I am happy with that, but I would love to get it down below 100 on a regular basis.

I follow the ketogenic diet and after two weeks of that my A1C went from 7.4 to 6.7 and my fasting blood sugar went from 139 to 117, so I know that is working well even though I still have ups and downs with morning sugars.
  • PrimaveraEterna007
    Options
    That's true about the hormones...

Befor I had my baby, and I was mucho skinnier, my doctor gave a cortisone shot in my shoulder.
    My sugars went from the 90s. To 170s. ...:noway: .. He said ithat my sugar was going to be high by be a few number.
  • sopwith8
    sopwith8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of medical reasons for what you are experiencing. One is called the Dawn effect. Before you wake each morning your liver will produce extra sugar in anticipation of your body needing more fuel to get up and moving. I have this problem. I now wear an insulin pump which I can program to give me more insulin starting around 4 AM and this has worked perfectly for me. However, the only thing I found to help prior to getting the pump was lots of extra water in the evening and just before bed. I would often wake to use the bathroom (of course, LOL) but would drink another glass of water at that point also. This did not bring my morning readings down as much as the pump did, but it did make enough of a difference that I felt it was worth waking up to go to the bathroom every night.

I cannot recall what the other medical cause was for the morning highs. My Endocronologist told me about both but we ended up focusing on the dawn effect since it was what I was dealing with. You may be able to get more information from the American Diabetes Association web site.

Good luck!!:smile:
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It seems that you're suffering from dawn phenomenon. When you are about to wake your liver releases a dose of glucose into the body to give you the energy to start your day, and also so you can eat and replace energy.

I suffered quite a bit with DP and asked around in support forums. The answers I got was that this is something that no matter how tight we control our BG DP is something that can't be controlled. It appears that once you have very good control during the rest of the day, and your body becomes accustomed to the amount of food/regularity of eating etc, DP settles down to an acceptable level. I found this to be true. Within a few weeks my morning BG was high 4's low 5's UK. I rarely test morning levels now, but will do one now and again to check all is well and have not had a higher level that 5.3mmol/l.

I would honestly say, don't worry too much about DP, it really is a test we can't control. and the worry of it being high can make post breakfast figures higher due to worry.

Just keep your daily figures as tight as possible and like me, you may see your FBG come down nicely. :-)