Flexible Dieting by Lyle McDonald - and the Free Meal

Options
kiramaniac
kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
Has anyone else read this?

Some interesting ideas.
The first and most simple idea is that of the "Free Meal". This is a single meal, once or twice a week, that breaks your diet. This is mostly psychological, so you don't have any sense of deprivation. The free meal ultimately will have little impact on your overall progress, and will likely help your long-term commitment. He identifies that the timeframe isn't really long enough to affect the various hormones involved in the physiological response to dieting. In general you should wait several weeks after starting a diet before considering a Free Meal, so you've transitioned to that change. And they should not be on consecutive days.

The second concept is that of the Structured Refeed. The structured refeed are deliberate periods of high-carb overfeeding that last 5 hours up to 3 days (it's pretty prescribed based on how much you exercise and how much you have to lose how long to do it). Basically, you are carb-loading every 2-3 hours. Focus is also on lower fat, with lean protein. Then you return to normal eating plan. Intent here is both psychological and physiological. It's very precise though on what you should eat for macros, how frequently to eat, and even how frequently to do a re-feed. To me, this seemed pretty complicated on how to follow.

He also presents the idea of "Full Diet Break". These are 10-14 days off your diet. Based on how much body fat you have, he identifies how frequently a Full Diet Break is recommended (for me, it would be every 3-4 months). It also seemed pretty complicated on how to follow. Basically specific macros to consume throughout this period. I did pick up though, that during this period you should not exceed your maintenance level calories. That spurred me on to figure that out -- so even if I have a crazy day, I'll plan to stay within maintenance.

So for me, the Free Meal is probably the only thing I will consider. I like this idea though. I like that you can incorporate this in, and if something happens that throws your day off, it's just part of your plan -- vs feeling like you've failed.

One of the studies he references is "Wing RR and RW Jeffrey. Prescribed 'Breaks' as a means to disrupt weight control efforts. Obes Res (2003) 11: 287-291).
The study was set up to find out why people go off the dieting bandwagon. The researchers wanted to determine what behavioral things happen when people go off the diet for some period and why they have trouble going back on.

So the subjects were first put on a typical diet meant to cause weight loss. Then the subjects were told to go off the diet for either 2 weeks or 6 weeks so that the researchers could see what happened when people fell off their diet but hard and started regaining weight. Here's what happened: not only did the subjects not regain very much weight, but they had almost no trouble going right back onto their diet when the 2 (or 6) weeks was over. So the scientists completely and utterly failed to reach their goal of studying what they wanted to study.

Basically they made an almost accidental discovery which raised another set of questions: why didn't the subjects regain a ton of weight and why did they have little problem returning to their diet? That is, knowing that most people who go off of a diet for even a short period will balloon up, regaining weight rapidly, and fall off their diet, what made this study different?
The key difference why the study failed so miserably: control. Psychologically, feeling like the break is now under your control, or that it's part of your overall plan, makes it far easier to not feel like the diet is completely blown and get back on the diet when things settle down".

Even the subtlety of calling it a "Free Meal" vs a "Cheat Meal" is very powerful. One makes you feel that this is something positive -- it's just part of your diet to have that meal. The other that it's something you've done wrong.

Anyway - the book is a real pain in the *kitten* to get, so I wanted to share some concepts. Good luck! Hope it helps someone.

Replies

• bethierose
    bethierose Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! I think I will have a Free Meal on Friday night! (it's my birthday dinner!)

The reason I think the concepts you presented from the book here are legitimate is because I 100% agree that a lifestyle change is at least 80% in your mind. Yes, you absolutely have to commit and do the work, but you have to convince yourself that it's a good idea in the first place. So mini-breaks from the lifestyle will help with the psychological aspect.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I've read that once your body has gotten used to ketogenic lifestyle, you are more likely to stall in the long run (or adapt or whatever) so to keep your fat-burning hormones flowing, you should have carbs every 8-10 days or so.

There was no mention that I recall of how rapidly you were supposed to deplete the supply, but I imagine that there should be a strenuous workout after that, to get you back in ketosis after a day or two.

Personally, I find it easier to stay on the wagon the longer I've been on it. If I have a free meal, that is most likely gonna trigger binges for days and cravings for weeks for me.
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    So we actually tried it this last weekend. Had my "free meals" Friday night and Sunday night. Saturday morning was a big workout, so I suspect that everything was burned through that I consumed Friday. I then had a workout Monday night. I was back in ketosis by Tuesday morning (measured 0.9 using blood ketone tester). I didn't really have cravings. The husband had a new overall low this morning. And I was down from my Friday morning weigh-in. So no lasting impact, it appears.

Macros Friday were 62F-22P-16C 74 net carbs (basically, we had a dessert, and that was it)
    Macros Sunday were 54F-20P-26C 131 net carbs (yep - we really got in the spirit of the free meal here)

I've been on a 2 month stall, so I'm ready to mix things up a bit. This is one of those things people talk about for breaking a plateau. But it was REALLY, REALLY hard to go off the keto. A lot of fear! The husband and I had a lot of debate on whether we should. I think it's something each person has to decide for themselves on whether it's right for them, and even then, really monitor their body's reactions. When it occurs as a "cheat" I think that's when people are more likely do totally break and have a binge, vs it being a planned event.

One interesting note on the book - it is not specific to low carb. It presents strategies that can be followed for ANY diet plan, whether low carb, low fat, calorie counting, etc.
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Question??? Did the book address those out of control cravings that may be sparked with the free meal and did he recommend that the carbs be more whole grains opposed to simple sugars??? i am no where near ready to consider a free anything but when and if this is a choice it would be nice to have a plan rather than throw caution to the wind...
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    He identifies that the timeframe isn't really long enough to affect the various hormones involved in the physiological response to dieting. He's also specific that your free meal shouldn't be at an all-day buffet. Needs to be a regular meal. Doesn't need to focus on whole grains or simple sugars. You just get to eat what you want for that meal. The Structured Refeeds and Full Diet Break had specifics on what you could and could not eat, but not the free meal.

We were pretty paranoid and made sure we did heavy exercise within a day. So that would have burned through glycogen in our muscles pretty quickly, and also reduced water weight.
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else read this?

Some interesting ideas.
    The first and most simple idea is that of the "Free Meal". This is a single meal, once or twice a week, that breaks your diet. This is mostly psychological, so you don't have any sense of deprivation. The free meal ultimately will have little impact on your overall progress, and will likely help your long-term commitment. He identifies that the timeframe isn't really long enough to affect the various hormones involved in the physiological response to dieting. In general you should wait several weeks after starting a diet before considering a Free Meal, so you've transitioned to that change. And they should not be on consecutive days.

The second concept is that of the Structured Refeed. The structured refeed are deliberate periods of high-carb overfeeding that last 5 hours up to 3 days (it's pretty prescribed based on how much you exercise and how much you have to lose how long to do it). Basically, you are carb-loading every 2-3 hours. Focus is also on lower fat, with lean protein. Then you return to normal eating plan. Intent here is both psychological and physiological. It's very precise though on what you should eat for macros, how frequently to eat, and even how frequently to do a re-feed. To me, this seemed pretty complicated on how to follow.

He also presents the idea of "Full Diet Break". These are 10-14 days off your diet. Based on how much body fat you have, he identifies how frequently a Full Diet Break is recommended (for me, it would be every 3-4 months). It also seemed pretty complicated on how to follow. Basically specific macros to consume throughout this period. I did pick up though, that during this period you should not exceed your maintenance level calories. That spurred me on to figure that out -- so even if I have a crazy day, I'll plan to stay within maintenance.

So for me, the Free Meal is probably the only thing I will consider. I like this idea though. I like that you can incorporate this in, and if something happens that throws your day off, it's just part of your plan -- vs feeling like you've failed.

One of the studies he references is "Wing RR and RW Jeffrey. Prescribed 'Breaks' as a means to disrupt weight control efforts. Obes Res (2003) 11: 287-291).
    The study was set up to find out why people go off the dieting bandwagon. The researchers wanted to determine what behavioral things happen when people go off the diet for some period and why they have trouble going back on.

So the subjects were first put on a typical diet meant to cause weight loss. Then the subjects were told to go off the diet for either 2 weeks or 6 weeks so that the researchers could see what happened when people fell off their diet but hard and started regaining weight. Here's what happened: not only did the subjects not regain very much weight, but they had almost no trouble going right back onto their diet when the 2 (or 6) weeks was over. So the scientists completely and utterly failed to reach their goal of studying what they wanted to study.

Basically they made an almost accidental discovery which raised another set of questions: why didn't the subjects regain a ton of weight and why did they have little problem returning to their diet? That is, knowing that most people who go off of a diet for even a short period will balloon up, regaining weight rapidly, and fall off their diet, what made this study different?
    The key difference why the study failed so miserably: control. Psychologically, feeling like the break is now under your control, or that it's part of your overall plan, makes it far easier to not feel like the diet is completely blown and get back on the diet when things settle down".

Even the subtlety of calling it a "Free Meal" vs a "Cheat Meal" is very powerful. One makes you feel that this is something positive -- it's just part of your diet to have that meal. The other that it's something you've done wrong.

Anyway - the book is a real pain in the *kitten* to get, so I wanted to share some concepts. Good luck! Hope it helps someone.

Have you tried CKD? With a carb load every week for 24 hours (can be friday night - saturday night). I find it very beneficial to keep my cravings under control and have something to look forward to ever week.
  • mel3491
    mel3491 Posts: 31
    Options
    Great question- that is my fear! I am doing Adkins and the 'induction' period is meant to help you lose your sugar and white flour cravings- and it worked on about day 3! I live in fear one 'slip' will cause me to go nuts!
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, kiramaniac. I took about a 10-day break while I was on vacation. It was really helpful -- psychologically -- for me. But it's sooooo hard getting back into ketosis afterward (I'm trying to ease into it, but this week is kinda awful and I am so hungry! If you look at my diary, I haven't been as low carb as I could but it's because I feel hungry all afternoon, and do think I should eat when I'm really hungry).

Once I'm back in ketosis, I might try the 1 meal a week approach instead and see how my body does with that; see if that is a little bit more balanced than taking longer breaks.
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Hi Jasmine - I had vacation back in January, and went off during that time. I think key is getting back to the hardcore roots. I want back to carrying bacon and almonds with me so when those cravings hit, I had a keto safe items available. I also like to watch Fathead every 3 months, just to re-indoctrinate myself on how / why this is the right way of eating. Getting your mental commitment in place is the most important part of our success!

Good luck though.

Oh - I have done Free Meals each of the last two weekends. I've done so very cautiously, either still limiting myself (small dessert for example, rather than a full on carbo meal); or have made sure I had workouts planned in the next 24 hours after the Free Meal. For me, I haven't had an impact. In fact, I've finally seen some weight loss movement after a 2+ month plateau. But again, I've been super cautious about this so far.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    So last week was absolutely awful and emotional (I felt depressed and cried a lot), but after sticking to keto I was able to get back to ketosis after several days and now, of course, feel wonderful! I am going to experiment with the one "cheat" (but not going overboard) meal a week and see how that goes. I think it throws me for a loop too much to go all the way out (and eat stuff that makes me feel terrible) than to have one off-protocol meal a week.