I m scared, wondering if anyone else have experienced this

Options
tlangenfeld
tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
So the last 4 days have been in extreme pain:frown: . I sit alot at work as i take phone orders for a company, well last 4 days have been feeling pins and needles in my feet and legs. Standing don't releive the pain and at the end of the day (8hours) i can barely walk out the door:sad: . In the morning the sensation is not so bad but still there, by end of day I want to cry from the pain.
Yesterday a nurse friend of mine had me call and make a appointment with her doc a Neurolagist. After calling and setting up the appointment was told by nurse from clinic i need to go to walk-in clinic, which i did. Well at the walk-in was sent to ER was told this was a normal procedurer with this type of symtom with diabetics.
So everything looked good on the labs and doc said it could be the start of diabetic neuropathy :sad: was also told i need to eat more salt as my sodium level was low.:huh: .
Any ways I am scared if if is diabetic neuropathy what does that mean for me?:cry:

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    While the doc was correct that it could be diabetic neuropathy, what suggests did he give for controlling it?

Neuropathy symptoms may abate if blood glucose levels are under tight control. What are your readings like? What was your last A1c?
  • tlangenfeld
    Options
    While the doc was correct that it could be diabetic neuropathy, what suggests did he give for controlling it?

Neuropathy symptoms may abate if blood glucose levels are under tight control. What are your readings like? What was your last A1c?

He has me seeing a neurologist put me on meds to help with nerve pain,
    my glucose levels have been running between 91 fasting to 130 end of day. how ever in last few days without exercise because of the pain my glucose levels are higher then normal for me.
    My last A1c was 7.0 still high but better the almost 2 years ago at 10.5

the doctor i saw yesterday was a ER doc
  • JaceyMarieS
    Options
    Your A1c is still quite high (average 155 mg/dl or 8.6 mmol/L) and isn't correlating to your testing. Average glucose at that level is certainly high enough that you have some diabetic complications in the form of neuropathy.

The good news is that symptoms can lessen if you continue to lower BG

How often do you test? What does your diet look like? Your diary isn't open, but I did see your other post where you said " "According to my diatician a woman ideal intake of carbs per day is 12 to 15 helpings of carbs and one helping is 15grams which equals to 180 to 225 a day. Normal day i do 3 helpings per meal and 1 per snack with 3 snacks per day that gives me a 3 left over that if i want can use throughout the day with out going over my recommended daily helping fo carbs. on most days i have 12 helpings of carbs somedays i fall short of what i am suppose to have but hardly ever go over 15 helping of carbs "

While the dietician's advice is standard and may have been a good starting point, your meter is you best friend in determining how many carbs you can eat. I'll respectfully say that, as a diabetic, your ideal intake of carbs per day is whatever level that keeps your readings below 100 for fasting and below 140 at peak (not post-prandial, but peak) with an A1c at or below 5.7. (http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045621.php)

Bloodsugar101.com is an EXCELLENT website with easy to understand information

Here is an explanation of how to use your meter to test, review and adjust your diet for blood glucose control.
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

and here's another
    http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/test-review-adjust.html

and a few articles about neuropathy
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16162153.php
    http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-long-does-it-take-to-develop.html
    http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2008/12/diabetic-nerve-pain-and-what-you-can-do.html
  • tlangenfeld
    Options
    @ kdipiazz thank you yes my A1c (my A1c was 7.0 not 8.6) is still high but am due again for another A1c last one was 6 months ago so one of the thing doc will do tomorrow is my A1c to see what it is sitting at.
    the pills the er doc is working so will see if my doc will keep me on them.
    aslo as a friend pointed out i had a hip injury almost a year ago and she wonders if it could be caused from that which i never even thought of but will post doc results here so as to keep you up to date
    thank you for your concerns and at times it is really nice to know that i am not allone :flowerforyou:
  • JaceyMarieS
    Options
    @ kdipiazz thank you yes my A1c (my A1c was 7.0 not 8.6)

Yep, your A1c of 7 translates to an average glucose reading of 155 (mg/dl - the conventional US measurement) OR 8.6 (mmol/L - the SI unit used in most other countries). I wasn't sure where you were from, so i used both
  • tlangenfeld
    Options
    @ kdipiazz thank you yes my A1c (my A1c was 7.0 not 8.6)

Yep, your A1c of 7 translates to an average glucose reading of 155 (mg/dl - the conventional US measurement) OR 8.6 (mmol/L - the SI unit used in most other countries). I wasn't sure where you were from, so i used both

I am from Montana and that A1c according to my new Doctor was done In Aug. 2012 and that is about where my BG was running but now except when i am sick my bgs look much better as i have been posting. when i am sick my bgs tend to run very high and unfortunely not much i can do about that except not get sick.

Doctor did not do a A1c but will do next visit.

According to my doc you can still get diabetic neuropathy even if you have BG under control mine came on while i was sick and because of the illness BG where high and she feels that could of been the onset of the neuropathy. Unfortunely I am stuck with it as it will not go away :sad: but by keeping my diet and exercise up and keeping my BG where they are it should not get any worse unless i get sick and BGs go up again.

the meds doc have me on is helping with the pain and walking does not hurt like it did when it first started so really all i can do is keep a good attitude and continue my fight againest T2
  • Darlekins
    Darlekins Posts: 44
    Options
    [

According to my doc you can still get diabetic neuropathy even if you have BG under control mine came on while i was sick and because of the illness BG where high and she feels that could of been the onset of the neuropathy. Unfortunely I am stuck with it as it will not go away :sad: but by keeping my diet and exercise up and keeping my BG where they are it should not get any worse unless i get sick and BGs go up again.

The big problem is that many doctors (and the ADA) promote "control" as being levels that are still too high. Neuropathy can occur in at "pre-diabetic" levels, so I've never understood why more doctors do not push patients towards normal levels rather than normal for a diabetic levels.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    [

The big problem is that many doctors (and the ADA) promote "control" as being levels that are still too high. Neuropathy can occur in at "pre-diabetic" levels, so I've never understood why more doctors do not push patients towards normal levels rather than normal for a diabetic levels.

I agree 100%. Most docs are promoting BG levels that are still far, far too high. My doc wants my A1C in the 5-6 range (last result 5.4) and wants me at fasting 4.- (sorry I don't know the us measurements) and PP sub 7.2, or essentially in the non-diabetic range.

I eat low carb (80 g/day which is still not as low as some diabetics go but it works for me) and almost all of my carbs come from fruit and veg. My advice would be to talk to your doc about getting down into a lower carb range and striving for non-diabetic BG readings. Good luck.
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and my last A1c was 5,6 in March.

My BG averages about 85-120. It seems like the minute I go above that 120 mark, whether it's right after a meal or not, I get pain in my legs, feet or hands.

Because of this I am trying to keep a tight rein on my blood sugar. Mainly keeping carbs to under 175g and sugars under 35g a day.

Try keeping around 150g of carbs and 25g of sugar a day and see if that helps.
  • tlangenfeld
    Options
    Diabetic neuropathy has nothing to do with controlled or uncontrolled BGs. According to my Doctor it can happen at anytime it is part of being a diabetic. It is not something that comes and goes depending on BGs it does not go away at all once you have it you have it. My BGs have been running at a good level and i got it. I thought it was because i had gotten sick and my BGs got high but according to my Doctor that is not why i got it. It has to do with the Brain and the signals that are sent to our nerve.

always remember this which is on the bottom of MFP:
    "Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. "

this is for those who think thier advice is Better then the DOCTORS or NUTRIONIST
    all advice and concerns will be taken into consideration but maybe not all followed
    Thank you all for your advice and concerns
  • Darlekins
    Options
    Well, in the words of Dr Phil, "How's that working for ya?"

Doctors tend to be quite pessemistic because in their experience, 80% of diabetics want a medicine prescribed and want the medication to do it all with no changes to lifestyle. Another 15% are willing to make small concessions to changing their diet and exercise. 5% are willing to do whatever it takes - medication, diet, exercise in whatever combination - to bring their blood glucose down to the levels of a "normal, healthy" person. The unwillingness of a diabetic to change is the greatest factor in whether or not diabetes progresses to the point of complications.

If you were to do more research on diabetic forums such as diabetesforum.com or diabetes.org or the website that has been suggested several times (bloodsugar101.com), you would find many diabetics who belong in that 5%. Have you ever heard of Richard Bernstein? He's a Type 1 diabetic endocrinologist who's now in his 70's with no neuropathy who advocates tight control for himself and his patients (http://www.diabetes-book.com/) Those diabetics who maintain tight control have either greatly reduced neuropathy symptoms or have thus far managed to stave off neuropathy.

Good luck to you.
  • tlangenfeld
    Options
    @ Darlekins,

considering the fact that you DON'T know me or the changes I have made with the help of my DOCTOR and NUTRITIONIST. OR and part of my life your judgement towards me does not bother me.
    Until someone presents themselves as a DOCTOR and NUTRITIONIST thier advice is taken with a grain of salt. I have read all articles I can find and find the website for Diabetes assosiactions of amerca a great help with wonderful recipes that I both enjoy cooking and eating.
    In MY experience Doctors treat each patient differently as we are all unique and one thing that works well for one does not work for another. some strive to beat T2 and others just to survive it. I for one want to beat it.

So with that said diss the DOCTOR and NUTRITIONIST all you want. One thing I know without my DOCTOR and NUTRITIONIST i would probly be worse off then i am in fact with thier help I have come along ways. Lost 50 lbs before joining and have brought my A1C from 10.7 when i first was told I have T2 to last august A1c to 7.0 with only taking Metformin time release and changing my diet my BGs continue to go down
  • Darlekins
    Options
    No disrespect to doctors at all. I LOVE my general physician and endocrinologist and have the utmost respect for their opinions. They were the ones who told me that diabetes did NOT have to be a progressive disease and I was happy to see that opinion backed up when I researched using the sites I listed. I do have issues with nutritionists and CDE's because their advice flew in the face of said physician and endocrinologist who had advocated reducing the blood glucose levels to "normal".
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am co-owner of a diabetes website (moderator please remove this if it is against policy) http://www.eattoyourmeter.org/forum/index.html What we find is, so many diabetics are diagnosed, given Metformin then sent on there merry way with little or no real information. This dies not apply to all, but to the majority. Then people will either carry on as they were before, and as they get worse medication is increased until they are on insulin therapy. As they still have no real advice, complications set in and it's a downward slope from there. OR, they will be diagnosed, look for forums, such as the one I co own, ask for advice, but find what we advise to be difficult, and as complications don't happen overnight, either carry on as they were, or when things do go wrong, come back to us. (Our forum is very new but we all met on a much bigger and longer established forum). The final option, take the Metformin, find a forum and take the advise. I do agree the percentage who take the advice and stick to it long term, is very small. However, I think we need some perspective. Diabetes Type 2 is usually an older persons disease, although I was middle 40's at diagnosis. Many older people don't have time or the inclination to research and believe their Doctor will make it all ok.

We know from anecdotal evidence that the BG's suggested as safe are far, far too high. The British Diabetic Association recommends levels that are too high. We all need to try as best we can to have 'normal' levels ie the same levels as non diabetics to avoid complications such as neuropathy.

We also know as fact that organizations such as the ADA, BDA and governments, food manufacturers and big pharma have got it all wrong, and it's all about cash. Until recently the BDA was funded by Kelloggs!! That in itself speaks volumes. Keep diabetics sick more cash for big pharma, keep diabetics eating crap more money for the food industry. Keep diabetics sick through government healthy eating, keep party donations flooding in from the food and drug companies.

I am blessed, I have a Doctor who has untangled himself from the dogma and read up. He encourages low carb and supports me in all I do. Due to him, my family and the friends I have made in the diabetic community I have HbA1c of 5.1 it was 4.9 last time, no retinopathy or neuropathy and my kidney and liver function is perfect. The companies I mentioned must hate me and my Doctor, but I will live longer than I would have listening to them.

Retinopathy and Neuropathy only happen with elevated BG. Non diabetic patients don't get them so there is the proof it is only with high BG.

To translate US BG numbers to UK numbers divide by 18, to translate UK figures to US BG levels times by 18. :-)

Sorry I have waffled a bit, but the lack of care and support as well as a total prescription of lies to diabetic patients is a real bug bear with me. We are human beings and should know the truth!!