How to start Phase 2

Options
I have been on Phase 1 for about 2 months, and have lost 15#. I am getting bored with my food choices and think it may be time to try Phase 2.
My question is this: How do I switch to Plase 2 w/o gaining weight? I am reading the Atkins book as we speak, but would like to hear any suggestions from members that have done this successfully.
Thanks

Replies

• nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I added net carbs slowly. I went from 20 a day to about 25 a day for a couple of weeks then went to 30 a day. I'm afraid to go any higher. I'm still losing very slowly (as expected when getting close to goal). I lose the most when I am at conferences and retreats where I have a hard time finding acceptable foods and only eat a few carbs for a couple of days. But I don't gain it back when I up it back to 25-30.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I don't think you would gain at Phase 2 since it's some berries and nuts with a few more dairy choices. You aren't really adding that much more choice-wise that would be carby at Phase 2. Due to the imment rebellion in my house we are skipping Phase 2. I think the fact that there are no cereals or other flour based products in our house, we will be okay. Its the staying within the portions that will be important. But we need way more variety. And kudos to you for staying in induction so long. 2 weeks is what the family is allowing. I figure we will slow down but we are about to go into summer outside exercise season so that should balance us out.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Great job sticking with phase 1! Time to move on to Phase 2. I still lose 2 lbs a week in Phase 2 at 45 net carbs. Everyone's body is different, so you need to find what's right for you. Like Nancy mentioned, slowly increase your net carb value. A very accurate bathroom scale is helpful during this learning phase. 1-2 pounds of weight loss a week is consider healthy and excellent.
  • daddybyday
    Options
    When I was on Atkins before, and pretty successful until I stopped, I found that the key was doing it really gradually. I used a chart that gave the order for adding foods back in, and I can't find it now!

For a full week, I ate my induction menu with just nuts (almonds and pistaschios) added. When I had a good week, the next week I added berries (1-1 1/2 oz at one meal). When I had a good week.... well, you get the idea.

It worked. Now I need to go look for that resource, so I know what to add and in what order :-).

Hope this helps a little!

Peace,

Tom
  • daddybyday
    Options
    Found the carb ladder!!! :-) I'll give credit to the site, and a link to the page: http://www.atkins.com/Program/Overview/How-and-Why-Atkins-Work/Reach-Your-Goal-by-Climbing-the-Carb-Ladder.aspx

And I'll also paste the pertinent info:

Phase 1, Induction:

Rung 1: Foundation vegetables: leafy greens and other low-carb vegetables

Rung 2: Dairy foods high in fat and low in carbs: cream, sour cream, and most hard cheeses

Phase 2, Ongoing Weight Loss:

Rung 3: Nuts and seeds (but not chestnuts)

Rung 4: Berries, cherries, and melon (but not watermelon)

Rung 5: Whole milk yogurt and fresh cheeses, such as cottage cheese and ricotta

Rung 6: Legumes, including chickpeas, lentils, and the like

Rung 7: Tomato and vegetable juice “cocktail” (plus more lemon and lime juice)

Phases 3 and 4, Pre-Maintenance and Lifetime Maintenance:

Rung 8: Other fruits (but not fruit juices or dried fruits)

Rung 9: Higher-carb vegetables, such as winter squash, carrots, and peas

Rung 10: Whole grains

Hope this is helpful!!!

Tom
  • alexalaurel
    alexalaurel Posts: 27
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this info Tom! Although I am following SBD moreso than Atkins, the website was really an excellent resource and I will be reading everything I can find on there! Thanks!!